S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Energy Suspension Bushings Installation DIY

Old 07-14-2017, 04:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Energy Suspension Bushings Installation DIY

Hey guys,

The helpful staff at Energy Suspension just finished the installation of their polyurethane bushings on my AP1. We attempted to document this entire process to help out the community.

2000 Honda S2000 Energy Suspension Polyurethane Bushings Installation

We hope this helps out some folks with the installation!

Cheers!
Old 06-02-2020, 03:12 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Good write up, thanks. I'm looking at getting a set of Energy Suspension bushings for front & rear to replace the old worn OEM. How do you like the Energy Suspension bushings after the 3yrs since you posted this?
Old 06-03-2020, 05:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This looks like hard tedious work ! What's the typical cost for this?
Old 06-15-2020, 06:24 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Shadow993
This looks like hard tedious work ! What's the typical cost for this?
Looking for that as well. I went to a local shop and they told me that it would be cheaper to buy new stock parts.
Old 06-15-2020, 06:54 AM

Received 250 Likes on 147 Posts

Typical install for a shop is $1k-$2k, excluding parts. If you remove all of the suspension arms and bring them to someone, the cost will drop dramatically. Probably around $500 for them to press/burn all of the old bushings and press in the new ones.
Old 06-16-2020, 02:44 AM

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

Look out for any kit that only supports the control arm from one side. Any bushing that sees a thrust load needs to be two piece with a shoulder on either side of the hole in the control arm. Companies typically cheap out on the UCA in this way.
The following users liked this post:
Fokker (06-16-2020)
Old 06-16-2020, 07:07 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I followed Dead Serious's posts about his experience with bushings. I have FULL energy suspension bushings (suspension, sway bars, and diff). The only issue I had is with the rear upper control arms. The fix was to replace them with Powerflex's rear upper control arm. EXPENSIVE, but it fixed the gap issue where the bushing could move perpendicular with the car (thrusting). I called Energy Suspension about a fix for it and said there was a revision. I got the updated revision parts for the rear UCAs, but it didn't fit my AP2. They said then don't use the revision... So the fix doesn't fix it.

I will say I am still happy with my bushings including the front lower compliance bushings. I took mine apart to inspect and still holding up well for two years.
Old 06-16-2020, 07:34 AM
Community Organizer

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by weenrock
I followed Dead Serious's posts about his experience with bushings. I have FULL energy suspension bushings (suspension, sway bars, and diff). The only issue I had is with the rear upper control arms. The fix was to replace them with Powerflex's rear upper control arm. EXPENSIVE, but it fixed the gap issue where the bushing could move perpendicular with the car (thrusting). I called Energy Suspension about a fix for it and said there was a revision. I got the updated revision parts for the rear UCAs, but it didn't fit my AP2. They said then don't use the revision... So the fix doesn't fix it.

I will say I am still happy with my bushings including the front lower compliance bushings. I took mine apart to inspect and still holding up well for two years.
Did they make the same mistake that the Prothane kit did? Their rear UCA were sized for AP1 arms and not AP2 arms (larger bushings). I swapped the uppers to Powerflex front and back when it became clear the one piece poly design wasn't going to hold up.
Old 06-16-2020, 09:06 AM

If I remember correctly, Energy and Prothane are the same company. So my guess is they are the same design. The UCA kit is a one piece with a simple "shim" that is supposed to act as the other side of the bushing, but that shim is 1MM too thin.
Old 06-16-2020, 09:10 AM

This is the gap. Terrible design.

Quick Reply: Energy Suspension Bushings Installation DIY