S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Enkei PF01 17x9 +60 clear stoptech bbk?

Old 04-08-2018, 02:41 PM

Received 70 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by BoboTheMonkey
They allow brake ducts, but not body modification to accomodate them (I.e. not off the front bumper). Wish they would change this... I want a set of these from Roel for future use if anything. I would guess, they would allow it if you covered them up for AutoX. Wouldn't be an issue where I am at, but if you want to go to nationals, it would be a big ???. Maybe someone else can chime in, but I would think you would get protested at nationals for this even if covered?
Talk to Roel! He just finished making me a set that will fit in the edges of the radiator opening instead, so no body modification is necessary. Yes it's kind of silly putting real brake ducts _beside_ rather than in the fake ones, but it's nice to be 100% compliant, as well as reversible.
Old 04-08-2018, 02:55 PM

Received 250 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by Nate Tempest
Talk to Roel! He just finished making me a set that will fit in the edges of the radiator opening instead, so no body modification is necessary. Yes it's kind of silly putting real brake ducts _beside_ rather than in the fake ones, but it's nice to be 100% compliant, as well as reversible.
Yup, I can make STR compatible front ducts now.

They look really good. Check out the latest thread posts.
Old 04-08-2018, 02:59 PM

I also just got the idea from a guy at my last track day to pick up a couple of these: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-18...3320/205022215

Cheap (especially if you already have batteries and charger), compact, and great for cooling brakes between runs. May even have to pick up a second pair...
Old 04-10-2018, 01:42 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by roel03

You continue to amaze me Roel! Decisons, decisions! Please don't stop making these in the next few months. A little strapped right now trying to get the car ready for race season. I would bet these will work as well as the ones in the faux ducts and will still be STR legal!
Old 04-10-2018, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by BoboTheMonkey
You continue to amaze me Roel! Decisons, decisions! Please don't stop making these in the next few months. A little strapped right now trying to get the car ready for race season. I would bet these will work as well as the ones in the faux ducts and will still be STR legal!
Technically, they will work even better as they are in a higher pressure area and the air is not traveling laterally over the bumper as in the "fog light" area. However, you would be taking some airflow away from the radiator so there is a tradeoff.

Not planning on making parts anytime soon

Hopefully by the time you're ready for a set I'll have even more stuff!
Old 04-29-2018, 12:44 AM

So unfortunately now that I have these and I'm looking into how they would install, I can't see how they could be STR legal, nor how you could actually make legal brake ducts on an S2000. To pass from the radiator opening in the front to the wheel well, you need to cut through both the radiator shroud/duct plastic (legality questionable) and the wheel well liner (explicitly prohibited). I can't see any way to route the duct without cutting. Should have looked into this in more detail before buying! Given that they're not legal either way, I don't know if there's any point in installing in the radiator opening rather than cutting out the duct holes on the sides. Roel, is there something I'm missing?
Old 04-29-2018, 11:57 AM

I don't autocross anymore so I'm not sure what the rulebook is exactly. This is what I found online for street touring:

C. Air ducts may be fitted to the brakes provided that they extend in a forward direction only and that no changes are made in the body/structure for their use. They may serve no other purpose.

I'd send an email to your local SCCA folks and talk to them. Anyone that complains about brake ducts in autocross is a douche.
Old 04-29-2018, 12:46 PM

I don't autocross anymore so I'm not sure what the rulebook is exactly. This is what I found online for street touring:

C. Air ducts may be fitted to the brakes provided that they extend in a forward direction only and that no changes are made in the body/structure for their use. They may serve no other purpose.

I'd send an email to your local SCCA folks and talk to them. Anyone that complains about brake ducts in autocross is a douche.
Yeah, the problem is this part:

Fenders may not be cut or flared but the inside lip may be rolled to
gain additional tire clearance. (The outer fender contour may not be
changed.) Plastic and rubber wheel well splash shields may be modi-
fied for tire clearance and to accommodate a rolled inside fender lip.
The modifications may serve no other purpose (e.g., air intake, brake
ducts, etc). No other changes to the standard fenders or wheel wells are
permitted.
I agree that it would be a lame protest, but if it's not going to be legal regardless I don't know if there's any point in installing in the radiator opening rather than where everyone normally puts them.

I think for now I'll put the rears on and ponder the front for a bit.
Old 04-29-2018, 05:22 PM

Will they allow you to cut the fender liner, but plug it to comply with the rules? Then you can run a bulkhead pass-through to easily connect disconnect at the fender liner.

Contact SCCA, if they will allow it then I'll make you the pass-throughs and send them to you.
Old 04-30-2018, 12:17 AM

Unfortunately just contacting the scca wouldn't accomplish much. When something is protested it's up to local organizers to interpret the rules as written. Only way around that is to submit an official question and get a response in Fastrack; unfortunately that takes a few months. And the most likely response would be negative since the rules disallow _any_ modification of the liners aside from accommodating fender rolling.

I think I might have a plan though. If I add a spacer to the center bolt on the plastic panel under the radiator, at the back, I can route the hoses (somewhat flattened) through there. From there they can go under the edge of the sway bar, snug along the LCA, and then into the bottom of the dust shield. It'll add a bit of a restriction at the pinch point, and reduce ground clearance a bit, but I think it should work.

Better might be a hard plastic piece to run from in front of the radiator, through the pinch point, under the car, and into the nook at the bottom of the wheel well. That way it could tuck right up under the car, and be wide and flat to avoid restricting flow. Kind of like this: https://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=523703

Quick Reply: Enkei PF01 17x9 +60 clear stoptech bbk?