S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Ferodo DS 1.11 / Pagid RS 29 / PFC08 / Endless MX72

Old 07-16-2018, 05:39 AM

Received 187 Likes on 161 Posts

Fortunately this thread isn't old yet

@Matt and/or everyone else here: EBC Yellow Stuff - how would they compare to:

Endless MX72
Project Mu HC800+
Project Mu NS400
Ferodo DS2500
Old 08-08-2018, 10:06 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RolanTHUNDER
Fortunately this thread isn't old yet

@Matt and/or everyone else here: EBC Yellow Stuff - how would they compare to:

Endless MX72
Project Mu HC800+
Project Mu NS400
Ferodo DS2500
A quick rundown from my experience comparing the five:

Initial Bite: HC+800 > MX72 > DS2500 >> EBC yellow >> NS400
Hot Friction: HC+800 ~ = MX72 > DS2500 > EBC yellow >>> NS400
Dust: NS400 > MX72 >> DS2500 >>> EBC yellow > HC+800
Hot Modulation: MX72 > HC+800 > DS2500 > EBC yellow > NS400.

For the record NS400 is an ultra low dust street pad and is in a different category to the rest. They are excellent for their intended role but if you put them up against more aggressive pads they'll not look so hot in any performance metric unless you really prioritize dust output haha. The other pads are more track capable, specifically for shorter bursts or for people new to tracking that aren't going to be beating their brakes up too badly but the NS400 is street only and has no business being on a track for anything more than sighting laps.

Also it seems that EBC yellows are a bit of a mixed bag- I personally don't care to run them because I wasn't that impressed but I have a couple customers that love them.

-Matt M.

Last edited by SpeedFreaksUSA; 08-08-2018 at 10:11 AM.
Old 08-12-2018, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by SpeedFreaksUSA
A quick rundown from my experience comparing the five:

Initial Bite: HC+800 > MX72 > DS2500 >> EBC yellow >> NS400
Hot Friction: HC+800 ~ = MX72 > DS2500 > EBC yellow >>> NS400
Dust: NS400 > MX72 >> DS2500 >>> EBC yellow > HC+800
Hot Modulation: MX72 > HC+800 > DS2500 > EBC yellow > NS400.

For the record NS400 is an ultra low dust street pad and is in a different category to the rest. They are excellent for their intended role but if you put them up against more aggressive pads they'll not look so hot in any performance metric unless you really prioritize dust output haha. The other pads are more track capable, specifically for shorter bursts or for people new to tracking that aren't going to be beating their brakes up too badly but the NS400 is street only and has no business being on a track for anything more than sighting laps.

Also it seems that EBC yellows are a bit of a mixed bag- I personally don't care to run them because I wasn't that impressed but I have a couple customers that love them.

-Matt M.
Thank you Matt. Basically the HC+800 is the superior all out track oriented pad in this lineup but, how's the squeal for street driving? How's the rotor wear on stock rotors especially? The EBC Yellows thankfully don't squeal and don't eat the rotors and they can take a lot of abuse as I've heard. Due to price and availability I don't mind running them because I haven't hit the track yet but when I do it'll be on novice level anyway. I predict 85% street time and 15% track time per year on my weekend warrior S2K.

I would really like the MX72's but availability here is an issue. I'll have to import myself.

How about Spoon yellow pads? they're pricey but they are Spoon Any experience with those?
Old 08-13-2018, 06:59 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RolanTHUNDER
Thank you Matt. Basically the HC+800 is the superior all out track oriented pad in this lineup but, how's the squeal for street driving? How's the rotor wear on stock rotors especially? The EBC Yellows thankfully don't squeal and don't eat the rotors and they can take a lot of abuse as I've heard. Due to price and availability I don't mind running them because I haven't hit the track yet but when I do it'll be on novice level anyway. I predict 85% street time and 15% track time per year on my weekend warrior S2K.

I would really like the MX72's but availability here is an issue. I'll have to import myself.

How about Spoon yellow pads? they're pricey but they are Spoon Any experience with those?
All of the pads listed except the NS400 are aggressive street pads capable of some track use but they are certainly not track specific compounds. They will work very well for drivers new to tracking or for guys who want to used them for mixed use and shorter bursts but as you gain experience, use them for long sessions and/or use on brake intensive tracks that push the temperatures up towards or over their optimum temperature ranges you'll find the wear rates will really start to increase.

I have personally never tried the spoon pads so I cannot comment on them but to be honest if you're okay with spending that much I would just go straight for the Endless pads.

The HC+800 is the most aggressive on the street but they work perfectly well from cold and aside from the dust will be acceptable for most if properly bedded. DS2500 and especially MX72 are very quiet on the street.

Shoot me a PM or an email to matt@speedfreaksusa.com and we can work out the details of importing- we ship all over the world and can do a few things to make it as painless as possible.

-Matt M.
Old 08-13-2018, 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by SpeedFreaksUSA
All of the pads listed except the NS400 are aggressive street pads capable of some track use but they are certainly not track specific compounds. They will work very well for drivers new to tracking or for guys who want to used them for mixed use and shorter bursts but as you gain experience, use them for long sessions and/or use on brake intensive tracks that push the temperatures up towards or over their optimum temperature ranges you'll find the wear rates will really start to increase.

I have personally never tried the spoon pads so I cannot comment on them but to be honest if you're okay with spending that much I would just go straight for the Endless pads.

The HC+800 is the most aggressive on the street but they work perfectly well from cold and aside from the dust will be acceptable for most if properly bedded. DS2500 and especially MX72 are very quiet on the street.

Shoot me a PM or an email to matt@speedfreaksusa.com and we can work out the details of importing- we ship all over the world and can do a few things to make it as painless as possible.

-Matt M.
Good advice. I'm currently on EBC yellows all round on my NA AP1 and enjoy their performance. the rears are fine and will be for a long time. Down to about 3-4mm at a glance on the fronts. I want to replace the front set with a new set from EBC or one of the above sets I'm contemplating. With regards to dust: is it true that the HC+800 produces "nasty" dust - dust that can almost damage your wheels and are hard to wash off??

I'll shoot you a PM for importing soon, thanks.