S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

First Event Ever: RS4 Tires?

Old 12-06-2018, 06:40 AM
bdo

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by DanielZan
Wow, thanks for the feedback!

I also thought myself that DWS06 would be better for first try.... I like this thought:

Doesnt the OEM whees limit my tire size? is 225F 255R the highest I can go on OEM?
Well, yes, but what's wrong with 225/255? What are your goals? If you want to go out and drive the car, have fun, learn and develop your skills, and not have to worry too much about the car, then stock sizes are FINE. Again opinions vary, but that's mine. Keep in mind, if you start making the car faster, then every upgrade necessitates 2 other upgrades and it's a money pit. Also, again, it's your first track day right? Go out and experience it and get a feel for what it's like. As you get experience you'll know what you want. Less than ideal tires aren't going to make you not have fun or learn!
Old 12-06-2018, 07:06 AM

Received 1,132 Likes on 995 Posts

Honda thought 215/255 was fine on the CR. Just saying. That's what I run on my street car on OE wheels. I may up-size to 225/255 next time and see what the butt g-meter records.

-- Chuck
Old 12-06-2018, 07:20 AM

Received 75 Likes on 45 Posts

Wow, thanks for the feedback!

I also thought myself that DWS06 would be better for first try.... I like this thought:

Doesn't the OEM whees limit my tire size? is 225F 255R the highest I can go on OEM?
Be careful about overthinking this. As bdo said, think about what your goals are for your first few days. They should be something like "See if I like it", "Learn situational awareness so I'm safe on the track", and "Begin to learn how my car behaves when driven faster than on the street". A stock S2000, even on A/S tires, is well-suited to achieve those goals.

Hint: I would not recommend timing yourself for the first few days. Going faster is not your focus. Go back to your goals. Later, speed and time can and should become part of your goals, but don't start there. It will make it harder to learn the foundational basics you need to go fast safely.
Old 12-10-2018, 05:49 PM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by DanielB
Bring a good quality tire pressure gauge and aim for mid to upper 30s pressure hot. If you want a specific target, aim for 36 psi. I wouldn't obsess over pressures - just make sure they are not too low or too high as that would begin to affect handling.
!
That is way to high of pressure. I run high 20s with RS4s.
Old 12-10-2018, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by bgoetz
That is way to high of pressure. I run high 20s with RS4s.
There must be something different between our setups - perhaps you are referring to cold pressures? I did a skid pad and measured temps with pyrometer and temps were linear across the surface with pressures 36/34 hot. This was with 255 square and camber 3.2/2.5 deg. But I ran similar pressures with RS4s staggered. FYI, this last set has 12 days on them and is wearing evenly.

The OP says his suspension is stock and with pressures in the 20s with stock camber, the outer edges will be more likely to wear faster due to lack of camber. General advice for stock suspensions is to raise tire pressures at the track, not lower them. But it is important to not go too high as grip will fall of quickly.
Old 12-11-2018, 05:23 AM

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

There must be something different between our setups - perhaps you are referring to cold pressures? I did a skid pad and measured temps with pyrometer and temps were linear across the surface with pressures 36/34 hot. This was with 255 square and camber 3.2/2.5 deg. But I ran similar pressures with RS4s staggered. FYI, this last set has 12 days on them and is wearing evenly.

The OP says his suspension is stock and with pressures in the 20s with stock camber, the outer edges will be more likely to wear faster due to lack of camber. General advice for stock suspensions is to raise tire pressures at the track, not lower them. But it is important to not go too high as grip will fall of quickly.
I'll agree with ~36 PSI HOT. I end up having to start cold at ~28 PSI to get it there usually. Sometimes lower if it is scorching out.
Old 12-11-2018, 06:16 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

RS4s are great, very long lasting and forgiving. I'd bump the tire pressure around 36 hot. If for mixed street/track use, shoot for -2.5 to -3 camber. 0 toe front, rear toe depends on ap1 vs ap2.

I would definitely suggesting getting square if you've already got 9 inch wheels. It's nice to be able to rotate, and it helps cure some of the push.
The following users liked this post:
HawkeyeGeoff (12-13-2018)
Old 12-12-2018, 06:27 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

If I put street tires on the PF01s and use the OEM wheels for racing (ride the DWS06 then put RS4 later), what tire would you guys recommend for the PF01s? I am in cali, so, no snow, just the occasional rain and I dont daily drive. I am thinking of a good summer tire that would last a decent amount, and that if it came to it, I could run in one or two events at some point.
Old 12-13-2018, 06:13 AM

If I put street tires on the PF01s and use the OEM wheels for racing (ride the DWS06 then put RS4 later), what tire would you guys recommend for the PF01s? I am in cali, so, no snow, just the occasional rain and I dont daily drive. I am thinking of a good summer tire that would last a decent amount, and that if it came to it, I could run in one or two events at some point.
I use PF01s 17x8 / 17x9 for the street with Firestone Firehawk 500 in 225/255. They have a surprising amount of grip - plenty for the street, and i have used them on the track for customer appreciation days (mostly 8/10ths driving). They are quiet and so far appear durable with a TW340. I would not recommend them as a primary track tire, but given I have a separate set for that, they are a nice balance of price, durability, comfort and grip for the street.

Continental ExtremeContact is another that seems popular for the street. I suspect it's similar to the Firehawk but don't have any experience with it.

There's no reason you couldn't also use RS4 for street - they are a quiet tire and also comfortable. They have noticeably more grip but don't last as long. Grip vs. longevity is going to be your primary tradeoff. Oh, and also price
Old 12-17-2018, 03:50 AM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

I suppose our setup could be different, but for the track I typically keep pressures under 30, for autox I go higher. I run -2.5/-2.5 and get in quite a bit of track time to try different things. My routine is to adjust pressure as soon as I get off track, eventually I won’t need to bleed pressure to even the tires or lower them, this is where I leave them. For RS4s this is typically 27-29psi, some mornings on the second day my pressure is as low as 24/25 and I typically need to add air. Not sure what our difference could be, but my car is definitely faster setting the pressure this way.

Quick Reply: First Event Ever: RS4 Tires?