First Event Ever: RS4 Tires? - Page 3 - S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

Notices
S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

First Event Ever: RS4 Tires?

Old 12-04-2018, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by DanielZan View Post
The other alternative is to keep AP2V1s and ExtremeContact DWS06 on the car (215/245). This would save me the money of buying the RS4s, but I think that would be a bad idea to run all season tires, unless the track is wet maybe?
Like the others above, I'm not a fan of A/S tires for the track. But on the other hand, your first few days on the track are about learning the car and developing car control. That's easier and safer to do at slower speeds which less grippy tires require. My first few days on track with the S2000 (although not on a track) were with old A/S tires the car came with and I actually found it fun. The car will move around more at slower speeds which will help you get to know which end looses grip first and how to correct. Grippier tires just make the same thing happen at higher speeds where it's harder to correct and the consequences of mistakes are more severe. I don't think there's anything wrong with starting with the A/S and then switching to the RS4 when you have developed some experience.

Either way, make sure to have an instructor ride with you.
Old 12-04-2018, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by DanielB View Post
Like the others above, I'm not a fan of A/S tires for the track. But on the other hand, your first few days on the track are about learning the car and developing car control. That's easier and safer to do at slower speeds which less grippy tires require. My first few days on track with the S2000 (although not on a track) were with old A/S tires the car came with and I actually found it fun. The car will move around more at slower speeds which will help you get to know which end looses grip first and how to correct. Grippier tires just make the same thing happen at higher speeds where it's harder to correct and the consequences of mistakes are more severe. I don't think there's anything wrong with starting with the A/S and then switching to the RS4 when you have developed some experience.

Either way, make sure to have an instructor ride with you.
Luckily the instructor wasn't hurt the last person I saw do this and wreck.
Old 12-04-2018, 08:26 PM

Don't worry about the Continental Extreme Contact DWS06 tires. They are perfectly suitable for the track in a stock set up.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blueosprey90 For This Useful Post:
Chibo (12-05-2018), HawkeyeGeoff (12-05-2018)
Old 12-04-2018, 11:01 PM
bdo

Originally Posted by s2kshepard View Post
Point taken, but was the wreck caused by the all seasons, or a novice driver in way over his head? Would better tires have prevented the wreck, or made it happen at higher speed?
OP, don't want to derail your thread, but I would consider the option of running your all seasons for your first track day or 2. I think all seasons within reason are ok, and the DWS06 IMO qualifies. Some would argue all seasons actually give more driver feedback and lose grep more progressively (less snappy, safer) than higher-performance tires. Also you're not going to be happy when you scratch up your brand new wheels on track. Personally, I'd put street tires on the PF01's, and make the OEM wheels my track wheels, burn up the DWS06's in my first 1-2 track days and then put RS4's on them in OEM sizes. But that's just my perspective. As you can see, opinions vary. Regardless of what you do, drive within your limits, concentrate on consistency and smoothness and learning the proper line, not pushing the car to the edge, which is how spins start.

I also 2nd the advice to get an instructor ALL DAY. It's worth the cost. You will improve 100x more than not doing it. Slight rant: Many track day org's will give you a half session of instruction on your first track day, then say you're good to go, then as you get faster move you up out of the beginner group. Now you're in the intermediate or upper-intermediate group with open passing, and you're driving faster, but you've never learned awareness and how to keep yourself (and others!) safe.

Sorry for the long post. Drive safe, have fun, learn - don't sweat the details too much.
Old 12-05-2018, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by s2kshepard View Post
Yeah, sorry, tires weren't the cause of that wreck.
Old 12-05-2018, 08:59 AM

Assuming your all seasons aren't dry rot and a danger to drive on the road then it's simply driving the car with a lower performance ceiling on track w/the A/S. The RS4 will potentially give you false sense of security and if / when you lose control with the RS4 it will be at a much higher speed.

So the risk is finding the limit of the A/S on your first or second day vs. finding it on your 5th day, faster, on the RS4. Bit of a balancing act of understanding your limits, experience, and cars limit. Depends on the track too, some offer much more run-off than others.
Old 12-05-2018, 11:08 AM

Don't forget the biggest thing you can learn on your first day is tracking all the flag towers on every lap, responding to the flags properly, using proper signaling (point-bys, pitting), and learning to manage traffic. Lap times and car control are likely to come later, for the most part. If you are spinning out your first day, you gotta chill out and get the basics of how everything functions down.

Stock pads will probably be fine for day 1. ATE 200 fluid is cheap and good insurance, though.
Old 12-05-2018, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by thomsbrain View Post
Don't forget the biggest thing you can learn on your first day is tracking all the flag towers on every lap, responding to the flags properly, using proper signaling (point-bys, pitting), and learning to manage traffic. Lap times and car control are likely to come later, for the most part. If you are spinning out your first day, you gotta chill out and get the basics of how everything functions down.

Stock pads will probably be fine for day 1. ATE 200 fluid is cheap and good insurance, though.
New fluid is a good idea.....newbies tend to overbrake and ride the hell out of the brakes. It's just a normal reaction.
Old 12-05-2018, 11:17 AM

Wow, thanks for the feedback!

I also thought myself that DWS06 would be better for first try.... I like this thought:

Personally, I'd put street tires on the PF01's, and make the OEM wheels my track wheels, burn up the DWS06's in my first 1-2 track days and then put RS4's on them in OEM sizes.

Doesnt the OEM whees limit my tire size? is 225F 255R the highest I can go on OEM?
Old 12-05-2018, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by DanielZan View Post
Wow, thanks for the feedback!

I also thought myself that DWS06 would be better for first try.... I like this thought:

Doesnt the OEM whees limit my tire size? is 225F 255R the highest I can go on OEM?
That's the highest "useable" sizes. You need to pay attention to sidewall stiffness when you're streching or buldging tires. Bigger than a wheel is meant to handle doesn't necessarily mean better/more grip. It needs to be properly sized....sometimes the same "size" are actually different as well. When you're ordering tires go on the mfg. website and check the ACTUAL width. For example, a 17x9 wheel can accommodate anywhere from 235-265 depending on the actual tire width.

Quick Reply: First Event Ever: RS4 Tires?

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands