S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

First Event Ever: RS4 Tires?

Old 12-17-2018, 05:36 AM

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by bgoetz

I suppose our setup could be different, but for the track I typically keep pressures under 30, for autox I go higher. I run -2.5/-2.5 and get in quite a bit of track time to try different things. My routine is to adjust pressure as soon as I get off track, eventually I won’t need to bleed pressure to even the tires or lower them, this is where I leave them. For RS4s this is typically 27-29psi, some mornings on the second day my pressure is as low as 24/25 and I typically need to add air. Not sure what our difference could be, but my car is definitely faster setting the pressure this way.
This could equate to all sorts of things. Track you're at, driving style, braking style, aero, size of wheels to tires, sidewall thickness.....pretty much everything. Whatever makes your pants the tightest, go with that.
Old 01-02-2019, 09:10 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Thank you all for your suggestions!! Had a blast
The following 3 users liked this post by DanielZan:
freq (01-02-2019), HawkeyeGeoff (01-02-2019), TrumpetTitan (01-18-2019)
Old 01-17-2019, 03:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What rear toe for AP2 with 255x17 RS4?
Old 01-18-2019, 01:02 AM

Received 70 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by darcyw
Don't miss your upshift- be deliberate so as to reduce the chance of an over rev situation.

darcy
That's good advice. Shifting on track is quite a bit different than on the street. After many years of street driving without ever mis-shifting, I missed a 3rd to 4th shift after only a few track days. (Fortunately wasn't quite at redline and got the clutch back in before revs got too high.) Since then I've made a couple adjustments to my shifting to prevent it happening again. The riskiest shifts tend to be the ones where you're pulling toward you, since it can be easy to pull left and down rather than just straight down (in a LHD car). IE, third to fourth, or on a fast track, fifth to fourth or fifth to sixth. Highest risk is when making one of these shifts mid corner, since the cornering force can throw off your motion. (You can miss a shift pushing up too, but in those cases you're likely to push too far away from your body and end up in too high a gear—bad for lap times, but fine for the car.)

Two things I've found that help. One is to adjust your hand position on the shifter based on which gear you're shifting into. 1st and 2nd, palm should be on the right side of the shifter, facing toward you. 3rd and 4th, palm directly on top of the knob, fingers wrapped around the front. 5th and 6th, tilt your palm over to the left side of the shifter to push it away from you. This becomes habit quite quickly, and aids in shifting muscle memory. That leaves 3rd up to 4th as the trickiest one. For that, the main thing I've found helpful is to keep a consistent elbow position. When I'm shifting I keep my elbow directly behind the shifter, rather than tucked into my body. That way when I pull down with my hand on top, to go from 3rd to 4th, I'm pulling straight back, rather than tending to pull toward my body (back and to the left).
The following users liked this post:
TrumpetTitan (01-18-2019)
Old 01-18-2019, 05:15 AM

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Nate Tempest
That's good advice. Shifting on track is quite a bit different than on the street. After many years of street driving without ever mis-shifting, I missed a 3rd to 4th shift after only a few track days. (Fortunately wasn't quite at redline and got the clutch back in before revs got too high.) Since then I've made a couple adjustments to my shifting to prevent it happening again. The riskiest shifts tend to be the ones where you're pulling toward you, since it can be easy to pull left and down rather than just straight down (in a LHD car). IE, third to fourth, or on a fast track, fifth to fourth or fifth to sixth. Highest risk is when making one of these shifts mid corner, since the cornering force can throw off your motion. (You can miss a shift pushing up too, but in those cases you're likely to push too far away from your body and end up in too high a gear—bad for lap times, but fine for the car.)

Two things I've found that help. One is to adjust your hand position on the shifter based on which gear you're shifting into. 1st and 2nd, palm should be on the right side of the shifter, facing toward you. 3rd and 4th, palm directly on top of the knob, fingers wrapped around the front. 5th and 6th, tilt your palm over to the left side of the shifter to push it away from you. This becomes habit quite quickly, and aids in shifting muscle memory. That leaves 3rd up to 4th as the trickiest one. For that, the main thing I've found helpful is to keep a consistent elbow position. When I'm shifting I keep my elbow directly behind the shifter, rather than tucked into my body. That way when I pull down with my hand on top, to go from 3rd to 4th, I'm pulling straight back, rather than tending to pull toward my body (back and to the left).
100% this. I run a "drag race" cycle at work that requires redline shifts + flat foot shifting.

1st and 2nd - pull towards you, 3rd - palm towards the middle, 4th - hand cupped backwards (palm on the side, facing the passenger side) so you cannot pull towards you. Those are the hardest ones and I've found the 3 to 4 is the most commonly messed up.

So in all, I totally agree with Nate. Just adding my impressions as well.