S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

First Hello; Tire Question; Window Idea.

Old 01-28-2002, 11:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Hello; Tire Question; Window Idea.

I'm a new member and have appreciated your info. I have a blk/blk 2001 S2000 and have trouble on the streets not acting like a-16-year-old-on-drugs, sure is fun! I look forward to doing some SCCA Solo2 work. On 1-20 I went to the San Diego event and met some members [Brian and "the Jasons"]. I couldn't run though since I I was busy learning the hard way about the need to have your drivers licence with you. Next time!
I hope you can give me some suggestions:

TIRE QUESTION
I need to replace my rear tires and want some ideas on a good dual-purpose rear tire. I read the enties indicating that the 265 SO2 [2 sizes up from the stock 225'S] would be the best bet, at least while I'm running the origional 205 SO2's in the front, and would work to balance-out the under-steer. Agree?
Also is there sufficient space for no-problem clearance with 265's? Is there any down-side to runnig the wider tires? If not why didn't Honda use them in the first place?

WINDOW IDEAS
I haven't had time to read the archives, so stop me if you've heard this one. I found some nice inexpensive products for our awful back windows.
FIRST: BMW :rolleyes: has a $12.95 "Cover" [part #QA69778] for the Z3 back window that fits the S2k like a glove. It is a gray blanket of sorts that is slightly larger than, but follows the shape of, our back window. It has a very soft felt-like underside and denim-like outer-side. It connects with two clips on elastic straps at the door opennings of the top. It stores in a 12" X 7" reusable plastic pouch that stores in the trunk It is a well made attractive product with one notable exception: the 3 inch black "BMW" letters that are emblazened in the center. If used properly, however, they will only be visible for a minute, from the time you put it on untill you drop-the top. The idea is that this cover will prevent the (dirty) outside of the plastic window from sliding aginst itself and scraching in the process. I am going back to get another one to use as a liner for the top well. I find that dust collects on the unfrendly bottom of the well which scratches the inside of the window.
SECOND: Admit it, your window is already scratched! The best solution known to me is Meguiar's Mirror Glaze Clear Plastic Cleaner #17, and Clear Plastic Polish #10 I use this stuff on a 1957 MGA. Its present windows are 21 years old and look as good as the Honda's window.
Thank you in advance for your help