S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Flipping RS-3 (v2)

Old 08-28-2017, 10:58 AM

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

If you aren't driving in the rain, you can just run them backwards. I did that on RS3v2 and I can confirm that perform exactly the same in the dry. I got 10 days out of my set. If you have access to free mounting, then sure, you can flip them. Judging by your tires, you could either flip them now, or else wait one more day. The very outside corner tread of the RS3 wears off very quick but there's still some rubber left below that.
Old 08-28-2017, 11:09 AM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by usafstud
I'm running 255s on all 4 wheels. What I mean by flipping them is to remove the tires and actually flip them and remount them.
Then yes, it can be beneficial. I think you could wait a little longer before doing it. The outside still seems great while it looks like your inside could go another day before wanting to swap. RS3s can be worn all the way down untill you barely see the middle grooves (not idea for street driving). Also depends how much you will be charged to dismount/remount/balance. Also depends on camber you're runing and PSI. A great deal of tire wear can come from tire pressures too. Maybe you're running too low PSI on the street?

Originally Posted by thomsbrain
If you aren't driving in the rain, you can just run them backwards. I did that on RS3v2 and I can confirm that perform exactly the same in the dry. I got 10 days out of my set. If you have access to free mounting, then sure, you can flip them. Judging by your tires, you could either flip them now, or else wait one more day. The very outside corner tread of the RS3 wears off very quick but there's still some rubber left below that.
Runing them backwards can be helpful at the track if one side is wearing out faster than the other but the inside of the tire will still remain on the inside..
Old 08-28-2017, 04:20 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I usually first make sure to get even outer wear on all four by rotating front to rear, and running backwards. After then I dismount and remount, its the reason I always buy directional tires. Ive driven and tracked on reverse direction mounted tires, its not as bad as people make it out to be especially when no standing water
Old 08-31-2017, 03:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

time to flip so you can get more life out of the tire
Old 09-01-2017, 04:24 PM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

I flipped mine. Ended up getting another weekend out of them until I felt they were too questionable for wet use. What are your alignment specs?
Old 09-02-2017, 12:25 PM

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

I always switch my tires, camber eats them. Worth doing even if it's pain to remove and remount.

Whats with alll the gloves shots???
Old 09-03-2017, 09:12 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

1/16 toe out in the front with neg 3 camber
1/4 toe in in the rear with neg 3 camber

I removed the wheels to take to costco to flip and notice all 4 tires had different variations of flat spotting due to locking up without ABS at VIR. Since I have 3 track days coming up in a span of 4 days, I decided to mount on new tires. Besides the bumpy ride home, the chatter and vibrations on turns were also unnerving me in the middle of turns.

Old 09-05-2017, 06:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you on 255s? that rub your brake duct? I run 245 RS3 but no rubbing
Old 09-05-2017, 07:04 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rohde88
Are you on 255s? that rub your brake duct? I run 245 RS3 but no rubbing
I found some rubbing on the left wheel. I taped it up this past weekend and re-ziptied. I'll see how it holds up on the next trackday. I may redo the hoses from 2.5" to 2" over the winter.
Old 09-07-2017, 05:04 AM

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by usafstud
1/16 toe out in the front with neg 3 camber
1/4 toe in in the rear with neg 3 camber
That's a lot of rear toe IMO, cutting that to 1/16" total would cut rear wear rate considerably. Might cut front toe-out a bit as well to reduce tire scrub and increase life/reduce wear of inside edges.

I removed the wheels to take to costco to flip and notice all 4 tires had different variations of flat spotting due to locking up without ABS at VIR. Since I have 3 track days coming up in a span of 4 days, I decided to mount on new tires. Besides the bumpy ride home, the chatter and vibrations on turns were also unnerving me in the middle of turns.
Oh, you're wearing the *inside* of the tire? Maybe run less camber, at the rear, anyway. But I think running a lot less rear toe would make the biggest difference as far as tire life.

Quick Reply: Flipping RS-3 (v2)