S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Foam baffling OEM gas tanks

Old 11-01-2009, 08:36 AM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Foam baffling OEM gas tanks

The left-hander fuel starve is driving me nuts. To the point where I'd like to do a fuel cell. I figure that running lean during fuel starve can't be good for the engine, anyway. But if I do a fuel cell, then I'd probably gut the soft top for room and then might as well cage and harness... and then weld the hardtop on....

If I could find a simple-ish solution to help the fuel starving, even by 20%, I'd be ecstatic. It could save me from gutting the car. But I think I should probably get some solution before I blow an engine.

Anyone have any experience with foam block baffling an OEM tank? I wouldn't want to reduce total fuel capacity by a whole lot, so looking for a mild baffling solution.

Surely it can't be as easy as lifting the fuel pump from the inside of the trunk and stuffing a loose foam block in from the top?

Probably drop the subframe, remove the tank, buy a tall block and wedge it in the right side of the tank so it doesn't move? Theoretically speaking, I'd think it'd have to be fixed and towards the right hand side of the tank (but more middle-ish)so it acts as a middle reflecting wall against sloshing.

Anyone have any suggestions for an easy (<2 hour) DIY modification to improve left-hand fuel starve using the OEM tank?

I know Krazik had suggested completing the partial OEM baffle inside the tank, but I'm not experienced enough to know what to complete it with.

Thanks,
CK
Old 11-01-2009, 09:20 AM
Former Moderator

Looks like bike guys use these free-floating:

Fuel Safe makes these:

Looks like the block of foam displaces a little bit of space in the tank, but the gasoline flows through the foam without sloshing. I've put an email out to some companies to see if the blocks should be wedged in or can be free floating. This might be a good temporizing solution.
Old 11-01-2009, 10:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just an FYI - if you live in an area where they put ethanol in the gas, choose your foam wisely. The 100 octane at VIR, at some point this year, had ethanol in it, and was breaking down the foam in some people's fuel cells.
Old 11-01-2009, 10:18 AM
Former Moderator

That is good to know. The pump gas around here has ~10% ethanol...

Maybe I should email Fuel-Safe to see what they think?
Old 11-01-2009, 10:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dont do it. I tried it and it did no good. I blew up my motor in a long left hander. my solution was to put in an auxillary fuel pump on top of your tank that pulls fuel from the right side of the tank and keeps your fuel bowl full. wish i could tell you more but any experienced race mechanic could do it
Old 11-01-2009, 10:53 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

what I'd do is similar to what gerry said.

but I'd make a box that you can fit thru the hole in the top of the tank. guestimate 4x4x4. put 2 electric pumps in the rear corners of the oem tank that pump into the box. put the box so the oem pickup picks up from it and the oem return dumps into it.

you should never starve again. till you need more than 1 tank in a session lol.
Old 11-01-2009, 12:46 PM

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

Surge tank is your answer. Just need a small surge tank and an external fuel pump and you'll be good to go. The primary pump will make sure the surge tank is always full and the second pump will pull the fuel from the surge tank which will always stay full keeping you from ever running into the fuel starvation problem.
Old 11-01-2009, 01:23 PM
Former Moderator

Do you think I'd be able to have the local race shop do this without dropping the gas tank (e.g. from the trunk well)?

The reason why I ask is that I need some rear end work done and I'd prefer to have that done at my usual shop. But if the race shop has to drop the tank anyway, I might take my chances and have them do it all. Just trying to plan my off-season repairs and plan of attack.
Old 11-01-2009, 04:25 PM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You should be able to do it in the car. I did what I described in my fuel cell while it was in the car at laguna seca when I made the mistake of not ordering one w/ the fuel cell.

-Ry
Old 11-02-2009, 01:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

atl also sells a few different types of foam. they have some for unleaded, leaded, and alcohol

Quick Reply: Foam baffling OEM gas tanks