S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

front bumper canrad's angle

Old 04-12-2017, 10:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default front bumper canrad's angle

hi guys.. i just bought Dev sport canrads for my Amuse R1 bumper to add some extra front end grip. at what angle should the canrads be set to be efficient in circuit use? i mainly track my car in Bahrain's international circuit which feature some long straights so i dont want the canrads to generate too much drag. any input is appreciated .. thanks =)
Old 04-12-2017, 01:37 PM

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Pictures?
Old 04-13-2017, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by E4RTH WORM JIM
Pictures?

this is the canrad.. please help!
Old 04-13-2017, 06:22 AM

Received 418 Likes on 318 Posts

Canard is the spelling you're looking for.
Old 04-13-2017, 06:30 AM

here are some more photos
password jdm recommend to install their street version canrads at 22.5 degrees and claim they'd generate around 42pounds of downforce on each side.. do u think i should do the same with these?
Old 04-13-2017, 07:55 AM

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

The primary function of a canard on a car is not really to create downforce by itself, but to create vortexes along the side of the car that help keep the airflows under and over the car separate from each other, increasing the efficiency of a flat-bottomed, skirted undertray. Used as "wings," canards are extremely inefficient, but since you probably don't have any kind of ground effects happening, you won't get the intended vortex benefit, so you might as well run them at a relatively low angle of attack to get a little "wing" type downforce. Probably 15 degrees is what you'll want.
Old 04-13-2017, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by thomsbrain
The primary function of a canard on a car is not really to create downforce by itself, but to create vortexes along the side of the car that help keep the airflows under and over the car separate from each other, increasing the efficiency of a flat-bottomed, skirted undertray. Used as "wings," canards are extremely inefficient, but since you probably don't have any kind of ground effects happening, you won't get the intended vortex benefit, so you might as well run them at a relatively low angle of attack to get a little "wing" type downforce. Probably 15 degrees is what you'll want.
thank you for your informed feedback! i find it very useful.. actually i am planning for a custom full flat bottom and side skirts to be added. but i cant add a front splitter on the amuse bumper bcz i has the humped bottom and i dont wanna mess with it. with the flat bottom undertray should i still stick with the 15 degree angle? i also got a new voltex single element gt wing for the back end but didnt install it yet. this is a shot of my car at its current setup.. ill replace the rear wing, add the canards, side skirts, and the flat undertray
Old 04-13-2017, 01:20 PM

[i]some more shots! enjoy
Old 04-13-2017, 02:50 PM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

Good looking car.
Old 04-13-2017, 04:44 PM

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Are you racing the car pictured in a class where 10ths of a second are going to be the difference between winning and losing something of important? If not, my recommendation is to leave that very attractive, pretty unmolested S2000 alone.

That said:

This may also be useful: Canards and vortex generators and Composite wing key to high-speed stability : CompositesWorld

IMHO, I'd start with a swan neck rear wing. Less drag and works more independent of yaw angle (in a turn there is always a yaw angle). Then the splitter, which will be hard to get right without a good CFD or instrumented testing (there is a reason F1 cars run those big pressure measurement arrays in practice). Then venting the hood and the front fenders. There is a lot of air flowing through the radiator and it needs to leave without creating pressure under the hood. Most (all?) current LMP cars vent their fenders on top (Evasive has a fender that vents on top).

Is there someone reading this who has a measurable improvement in lap times or added more angle of attack to a rear wing to balance the car after adding canards?

Quick Reply: front bumper canrad's angle