S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Front swaybar torn off mount :o/

Old 03-03-2009, 07:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Front swaybar torn off mount :o/

I tracked my car a few weeks ago, left the RA1's on then did an auto-x this weekend.
Finally came to change back to street wheels today and I noticed on the right side the Saner bar mount was hanging off.

Looking closer the tabs/bolts on the bracket had broken off both lower and upper and the lower bolt I guess found its way off

Seems like an easy fix to just change the brackets though?
Old 03-03-2009, 09:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

More likely scenario: A bolt backed out, the added stress of a misaligned/moving bracket caused the welds on the nut to break, THEN the bolt fell out completely. There's no way those welds can break if the bolt is tight. There's no stress on them.

I had one of those back out too, but I think it's because I forgot to torque it. Buy a new bracket (or fix that one) and bolts, put it back together with some blue thread locker and you'll be all set.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:44 AM

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

Happened to me as well at an autocross with my Saner bar. I ended up buying new brackets (not expensive) then getting longer bolts. I then put an extra nut at the end of the bolt. I don't know if it really helped, but it gave me a bit more peace of mind and it didn't happen again
Old 03-03-2009, 11:46 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffjanzen,Mar 3 2009, 01:00 PM
More likely scenario: A bolt backed out, the added stress of a misaligned/moving bracket caused the welds on the nut to break, THEN the bolt fell out completely. There's no way those welds can break if the bolt is tight. There's no stress on them.

I had one of those back out too, but I think it's because I forgot to torque it. Buy a new bracket (or fix that one) and bolts, put it back together with some blue thread locker and you'll be all set.
I agree. Make sure to double check the torque on the bolts for the new bracket!
Old 03-03-2009, 01:21 PM

yea its most certainly I didn't do it up all the way - I must have adjusted the bar about 8 times I can't even remember

Can't wait to get a concrete pad poured round the back so I can do more maintainance on the car, trying to work on cars in the street sucks
Old 03-03-2009, 01:46 PM

wow didnt think Id ever see that, makes me wanna go check mine...
Old 03-04-2009, 03:34 AM

I've broken the FSB bracket before at an event with the Saner bar. I now have these (and endlinks) in my spare parts bag that I keep in my tire trailer. Now where do I keep my spare diff?? LOL

-D
Old 03-04-2009, 06:34 AM

We tore one of the Saner brackets too -- definitely a part that needs monitoring.
Old 03-06-2009, 12:40 PM

Steve, that's the stock mount -- although the 1/4" steel plate that goes between the bushing bracket and the mount is something I haven't seen before.

Those bolts do sometimes loosen up. It's worth paying attention for clunking sounds when initiating or finishing a turn.
Old 03-16-2009, 02:49 PM

just wanted to add I contacted Saner about a replacement bolt and bracket and they sent it all free of charge

this is pretty good of them since I'm 99% sure this was my fault for not tightenning the bolt!

They have a new website: http://www.sanerperformance.com/

Quick Reply: Front swaybar torn off mount :o/