S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

fuel starvation or something else?! (video included)

Old 10-22-2018, 02:10 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default fuel starvation or something else?! (video included)

hey guys, this is happening most of the time in this uphill left turn that the engine behave littel weird.
Is it fuel starvation or something else? See between 52-55s and notice the engine sound (fuel level 80/100)
Old 10-23-2018, 11:18 AM

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Are you doing any data logging? Logging fuel pressure would answer you question directly.
Old 10-23-2018, 01:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like fuel starve. Best way to describe it is you feel like you hit a Rev limiter and there is a brief delay and then it picks up speed again. Of this seems like what you are feeling it is likely fuel starve
Old 10-23-2018, 03:39 PM

Received 1,191 Likes on 925 Posts

It does sound a bit like fuel starve, does not seem like it is abrupt as I have felt but it is hard to tell that from the video. I have experienced it on Lincoln concrete at SCCA nats before at 1/2 tank. That was the only time in this car but was surprised to see it with that much fuel.
Old 10-23-2018, 10:05 PM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

My first thought was vtec is kicking out and if so would be from oil pressure drop from pickup starvation in the pan from sloshing/g forces on that part of the track. You running any pan baffling or slosh plate?
Old 10-24-2018, 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by DavidNJ
Are you doing any data logging? Logging fuel pressure would answer you question directly.
I got one I’ll install it before the next track day and will do data logging through AEM infinity. I hope it will show something

​​
Originally Posted by ConeKiller2
Sounds like fuel starve. Best way to describe it is you feel like you hit a Rev limiter and there is a brief delay and then it picks up speed again. Of this seems like what you are feeling it is likely fuel starve
I don’t feel like i hit the rev limiter point because at that moment i keep steady throttle. it’s more like i hit soft rev limiter that varies instantly

Originally Posted by s2000Junky
My first thought was vtec is kicking out and if so would be from oil pressure drop from pickup starvation in the pan from sloshing/g forces on that part of the track. You running any pan baffling or slosh plate?
I'm running Moroso weld in baffle
Old 10-24-2018, 04:50 AM

Received 426 Likes on 362 Posts

Fuel cut usually feels pretty hard and abrupt, I only had it happen a couple of times and with fuel level around half or less.
Seems you are experiencing something else here, do you log the oil pressure?
Old 10-26-2018, 11:24 AM

Received 52 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by s2000Junky
this is what I think it is.

fuel starve would be easy to test. After it happens come in and fill the car and see if it does it again.

fuel starve feels like someone shut the engine off on you.
Old 10-26-2018, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by the-moss

this is what I think it is.

fuel starve would be easy to test. After it happens come in and fill the car and see if it does it again.

fuel starve feels like someone shut the engine off on you.
I did install fuel and oil pressure sensors now, so i'll try to data log in the next time there.

Originally Posted by flanders
Fuel cut usually feels pretty hard and abrupt, I only had it happen a couple of times and with fuel level around half or less.
Seems you are experiencing something else here, do you log the oil pressure?
I already have moroso baffle. shouldn't prevent pressure drop in this case?

Old 10-26-2018, 12:41 PM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

^^^ That is supposed to address the problem, so it is a bit confusing. Data logging or a quick monitor of a wideband and oil pressure gauge should eliminate any guess work there. If during the episode both look normal/steady then you know to look elsewhere. Just not sure what else it would be off the top of my head. If its repeatable in the same location of the track every time, then I have to think it something related to fuel or oil pressure. No plume of smoke exiting the car from valve cover baffling issue? Not running a catch can or possibly a full one spilling back over to intake?

Quick Reply: fuel starvation or something else?! (video included)