S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Hankook RS4 temps

Old 09-14-2018, 07:17 PM

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Hankook RS4 temps

Does anyone know what type of temps these tires like to run at? Doing my first track day on them and will be messing with pressures all day. Brought a digital laser IR temp gun with this time.
Old 09-14-2018, 08:00 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

idk what temps they like as far as a number goes, but they definitely need a warm up lap and then you can beat on them till you run out of gas, no need to worry about overheating them... I've done track days on them in the high 90's, granted in a bit slower and lighter car, but they showed 0 fade.
Old 09-18-2018, 07:34 AM

Received 75 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by treimche
Does anyone know what type of temps these tires like to run at? Doing my first track day on them and will be messing with pressures all day. Brought a digital laser IR temp gun with this time.
Not sure if I'd approach setting pressures that way. Rather, follow standard tire pressure turning techniques to run a few laps, come into the hot pits and immediately measure inner, middle and outer temps with a proper tire pyrometer. Measuring the surface with an IR gun isn't going to get you that far as the surface cools so quickly. You are looking for a linear temperature gradient across the tire. The actual temps don't really matter as those will be affected by the weather, track surface, how you drive, how your suspension is set up, etc. Candidly, the RS4 is a really forgiving tire and most people find that the optimum pressure is somewhere in the 34 - 38 psi range hot.

I'm on my second set of RS-4 running square 255 and aim for 38 front, 36 rear. That seems to give me the best wear with my setup. I can't feel any repeatable differences in grip moving the pressures around 1-2 psi so instead focus on optimizing wear.
Old 09-18-2018, 08:11 AM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by DanielB
Not sure if I'd approach setting pressures that way. Rather, follow standard tire pressure turning techniques to run a few laps, come into the hot pits and immediately measure inner, middle and outer temps with a proper tire pyrometer. Measuring the surface with an IR gun isn't going to get you that far as the surface cools so quickly. You are looking for a linear temperature gradient across the tire. The actual temps don't really matter as those will be affected by the weather, track surface, how you drive, how your suspension is set up, etc. Candidly, the RS4 is a really forgiving tire and most people find that the optimum pressure is somewhere in the 34 - 38 psi range hot.

I'm on my second set of RS-4 running square 255 and aim for 38 front, 36 rear. That seems to give me the best wear with my setup. I can't feel any repeatable differences in grip moving the pressures around 1-2 psi so instead focus on optimizing wear.
All of this. ^^^
Old 09-18-2018, 08:17 AM

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm new to the whole tire tech stuff. By the end of the day I was running my fastest laps with tires set to 29psi hot. Sounds like that is much lower than you suggest, but when I would check tire temps across the tire, 29psi was what got me the closest to even across the tires.
Old 09-18-2018, 08:41 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

If your going to take the time and effort on tire temps, Joe’s makes a decent affordable tire probe pyrometer.
Old 09-19-2018, 05:41 AM

Received 75 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by miamirice
If your going to take the time and effort on tire temps, Joe’s makes a decent affordable tire probe pyrometer.
I have
this one this one
from Joe's but if I was to do it again, I'd spend the extra to get one that records the temps instead of you having to write them down. You want to measure all four tires as fast as possible and to do that with the low cost Joe's, you really need two people: one to take the measurements and call them out and the other to write them down.
Old 09-19-2018, 07:51 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by DanielB
I have this one from Joe's but if I was to do it again, I'd spend the extra to get one that records the temps instead of you having to write them down. You want to measure all four tires as fast as possible and to do that with the low cost Joe's, you really need two people: one to take the measurements and call them out and the other to write them down.
totally agree. And you need to do it mid session or late session but NOT after session had been flagged.