S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Racing and Competition (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-racing-competition-11/)
-   -   Has anyone adjusted their camber on their own? (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-racing-competition-11/has-anyone-adjusted-their-camber-their-own-198083/)

chriztopherkent 04-09-2004 12:32 PM

Has anyone adjusted their camber on their own?

I searched a little bit and didn't find much. I had the car up on the rack while I was over at the shop I work at. I gave the car a little bit more negative camber (more in the rear than front). I marked the factory positions so that I can return the car to the stock settings very easily. But what I am wondering is: How many degrees or what portion of a degree is represented by each hatch mark on the plate on the adjustment bolts? I don't have an alignment machine so I am strictly adjusting everything from the hatch marks. Any insight would be appreciated from those of you who have done this before. I am taking the car to the Mini Prix in Gaineville early in the morning so I wanted to have this all figured out before I load it on the trailer.

Thanks.........

Gregg Lee 04-10-2004 07:50 AM

OK, it's too late, but:

Hatchmarks are arbitrary - no scale.

If you moved only camber adjustment, then you have changed toe as well. Toed in the front, Rear depends on which adjuster you moved. Bad handling. Tire wear. Get it to an alignment shop or put it back.

If you have camber guage and level ground you can do the front easily enough at home. You will have to reset toe of course.

The rear is difficult. Both a arm mounts must be adjusted and camber and toe interact. Toe is very sensitive to small adjustments. I would not try it with just camber guage and tape measure.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by chriztopherkent
I searched a little bit and didn't find much.

RED MX5 04-10-2004 09:21 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Gregg Lee
If you have camber guage and level ground you can do the front easily enough at home.

Gregg Lee 04-10-2004 10:08 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by RED MX5

RED MX5 04-10-2004 08:05 PM

Originally posted by Gregg Lee
And remember if you try it and give up in frustration, then you have to drive 100 miles on a bad alignment risking tire wear, or load it on a trailer.

Gregg
Thanks Gregg,

Enough good information there to print it out and add it to my tuning notebook. I've been eyeing that cam arrangement in the back since I got the car, and wondering how touchy they might be. You've confirmed my worst fears. There is at least one alignment shop in the area that has modern alignment gear that I

rlaifatt 04-10-2004 08:46 PM

I just had my alignment done this afternoon. Took over an hour just to do the rear toe+camber on a laser machine, so I would not recommend trying to do rear toe at home on a garage floor. Most times an alignment takes over 2 hours for me. Maybe I have bad luck with inexperienced technicians, but it isn't as simple as the Helm's manual makes it look, IMHO.

robinson 04-10-2004 09:11 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by rlaifatt
I just had my alignment done this afternoon.

rlaifatt 04-10-2004 09:53 PM

I was sitting in the car in a tight race seat the whole time, front and rear :yikes: :D

Ludedude 04-10-2004 10:00 PM

Come on, you loved every minute of it :stick:

CoralDoc 04-11-2004 05:18 AM

Originally posted by robinson
It took at least 2 hours for the guy to do mine with a laser system. That was with me watching the entire time telling him the specs had to be exactly as I had asked for.
Labor Rates:
$55 per hour
$75 per hour if you watch
$100 per hour if you make coments

:D

On a more serious note:
We're having some alignment concerns on the car I co-drive. The alignment shop reports that they cannot get more than about 1.4 deg. negative camber in the rear and no more than 3.4 degrees caster in the front! The work was performed on a laser alignment machine. Is this something anyone else has experienced? Any possible solutions?