S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Hawk DTC60 vs Carbotech XP20: My impressions

Old 05-08-2017, 05:09 AM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts
Default Hawk DTC60 vs Carbotech XP20: My impressions

So this weekend was my first time on Hawk front pads: DTC60s coming from Carbotech XP20s on new rotors and Maxxis RC1s. Track was CMP. Let me be clear to say it was hard for me to trust the Hawks. 40% pedal pressure yielded great initial bite, but in the event I wanted to push my braking zone further into turn 1, going 60-80% maximum initial pressure was scary, as it was not slowing the car down as fast. 40% initial and then increasing pressure was not very good, and seemed to hurt rather than help; I had to hold 40% constant. My first thought was I was hitting ABS, but getting back into the paddock the rotors showed zero signs of the tell-tell ABS chop marks on the rotor. With only 40% pressure to play with, modulation window (trail braking) was greatly decreased. The Carbotechs were awesome though...I could absolutely NAIL the brake pedal and you could really feel the intial bite was good, but I could start backing off the pedal while turning and it was way more linear than the Hawk pads. Both examples were with brand new rotors (centric blanks). Lastly, the worst part was that the Hawks did not seem consistent lap to lap. There were a handful of laps, coming into turn 1, where the Hawks weren't grabbing like the last lap, but would come back the next lap.

So I guess my question is: Is this normal and expected? Really tempted to go back to Carbo/G-loc
Old 05-08-2017, 05:23 AM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Just to be sure, you did bed them in?

I do not like DTC's one bit. Lack of modulation and eats through rotors.. I am baflled when I see people swering by them. So I would say that your impressions are not unfounded...
Old 05-08-2017, 05:28 AM

My car isn't street legal, so I had to "bed" them during my first session, which as you know isn't the most appropriate way to do it. I did this same thing with the Carbotechs and even though they too ate my rotors they did great none-the-less. Maybe I need to go with a less aggressive compound for the tires I am running.
Old 05-08-2017, 05:31 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Personally from what I have found that the hawk is a good/cheap entry level pad. Once you wanna start actually driving the car then you need a quality pad ie gloc/carbotech. I currently run the gloc r10 and love them. And a good pad is friendly to rotors as well which is nice for consumables. Do you happen to run at vir as well?
Old 05-09-2017, 04:41 AM

I have run my carbotechs at VIR but not with the Hawks yet. Will be at hyperfest in less than two weeks though. I checked the rotors last night and see very faint striations already even after only 1 weekend. Probably need to order new rotors again after VIR.
Old 05-09-2017, 05:15 AM

Lol yeah when in doubt keep a spare set of rotors always. I will be at hyperfest as well instructing. Hopefully I will have time and we can chat.
Old 05-09-2017, 05:20 AM

@redcelica this is me. Find me at vir!
Old 05-09-2017, 05:29 AM

Awesome! Yeah will be there with Stephen and Rob, both running in HC1. I'll be doing DE3. If you're willing and have time, would love a ride along I'm currently running 2:14s, but think I have another 3-4 seconds somewhere to take off at VIR

Here's me

Hawk DTC60 vs Carbotech XP20: My impressions-srn6ifi.png
Old 05-09-2017, 06:43 AM

Very nice will do.
Old 05-09-2017, 09:03 AM

Received 75 Likes on 45 Posts

I ran my first full day with DTC-60s last Friday at High Plains Raceway (open session 170 miles on track) and did not have the same experience as you. I had no trouble modulating and found the pedal pressure linear (at least I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary). I have ducting on all 4 corners so maybe this kept the temps lower? This was with BFG RIvals 225/255. Too early for me to assess how they are wearing but I was overall happy with them - good value for the price ($294 from Amazon).

Quick Reply: Hawk DTC60 vs Carbotech XP20: My impressions