S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Help with choosing a harness belt

Old 04-23-2019, 05:21 PM

Received 1,247 Likes on 944 Posts
Default Help with choosing a harness belt

Hello friends,

I am looking for a clear answer as to the harness type to use with my Ballade sports roll bar.

I believe I am looking for wrap arounds, as I don't see a clipping location for the main belts? I can install eye bolts for the lap and anti-sub belts.

I was thinking of getting a 6 point with 3" belts and a camlock.

This is for TA's and HPDE's. No W2W planned for now...but who knows?

I did research this, but was not able to find a massively clear answer. Hope you can help me out.

Here's the bar I have. It came with the car I bought.

LMK. U B D Best.

Thanks!

Old 04-23-2019, 07:04 PM

Received 193 Likes on 166 Posts

I can't give you a "clear" answer, but I'll get you started.

Yes, I think you will want to wrap the shoulder belts around your bar. Most seats belts should come with a double slotted fitting and instructions. You will also want clamps on the bar so that the seat belts don't slide.

https://www.discoveryparts.com/auto-...-ult-8006.html

The shoulder harnesses should come through those slots in the seat, not over the outside of the seat. Your slots seem pretty low and depending on how tall you are, I think you might need a different seat so the shoulder harnesses fit correctly.

I like the dog bone shoulder harnesses (3" to 2" to 3") because they work better with a HANS. The 3 inch wide harnesses, unless they are very soft, don't work so well with the HANS.

I also like pull up lap belts rather than pull down lap belts.

Take a look at the seat belt rules here.

https://dk1xgl0d43mu1.cloudfront.net...pdf?1507912180
Old 04-24-2019, 03:19 AM

Received 250 Likes on 147 Posts

Get a 6 point camlock. From my experience, the Schroth belts are the best as they are the most comfortable and easiest to adjust, but are pricey. If you are on a budget, I have a brand new 6 point Racequip that meets all of the requirements I state sitting in my garage.

For the shoulder belts, get either a full 2" or a 3" that tapers to a 2". This fits a HANS much better and is much more comfortable. The poster above is correct that the Recaros have terrible slot position. It really only works correctly for a single height.

Not all are clip in, so make sure to get one that has the sub and hip belts clip in, rather than bolt in.
Old 04-24-2019, 05:19 AM

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

my biggest piece of advice other than go 6point, your man jewels will thank you later would be to get pull up lap belts. the s2k cockpit is small and tight making traditional pull down lap belts a pain in the butt. but yeah most questions are already answered. 6 point, pull up lap belt, hans belts are nice if running a hans, camlock, wrap the belt around the roll bar, clip in bottom belts are fine, make sure is sfi rated... other than that its up to preferance as to brand, color, etc

edit: i also agree your harness holes are too low for the bar, you should get a different seat or if the harness slots fit your body maybe have a local welder add another harness cross bar lower on the roll bar, would be fairly cheap, i had a harness bar added to a roll bar in the past for around $100
Old 04-24-2019, 08:08 AM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by scottdh20
my biggest piece of advice other than go 6point, your man jewels will thank you later would be to get pull up lap belts. the s2k cockpit is small and tight making traditional pull down lap belts a pain in the butt. but yeah most questions are already answered. 6 point, pull up lap belt, hans belts are nice if running a hans, camlock, wrap the belt around the roll bar, clip in bottom belts are fine, make sure is sfi rated... other than that its up to preferance as to brand, color, etc

edit: i also agree your harness holes are too low for the bar, you should get a different seat or if the harness slots fit your body maybe have a local welder add another harness cross bar lower on the roll bar, would be fairly cheap, i had a harness bar added to a roll bar in the past for around $100
You had better be running a HANS.... please run a HANS.
The following users liked this post:
the-moss (04-24-2019)
Old 04-24-2019, 08:55 AM

Received 66 Likes on 37 Posts

Dont bother with hans dogbone harnesses. I have a hans but also run 3" belts without issue.

I like Crow Enterprizes belts. Comfortable, cost effective and they will re-web a belt out of cert for under $100. With Schroth you are buying a new complete harness every few years. The Schroth enduro harness is super nice but IMO not worth the premium.

Ive run crow on my cars for the last 12 years.

You definitely want a 6point cam lock. Wrapped shoulders, clip in lap and bolt in sub. Sub should bolt under or behind you so they hug your thighs.
Old 04-24-2019, 11:40 AM

Received 250 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by anorexicpoodle
Dont bother with hans dogbone harnesses. I have a hans but also run 3" belts without issue.

I like Crow Enterprizes belts. Comfortable, cost effective and they will re-web a belt out of cert for under $100. With Schroth you are buying a new complete harness every few years. The Schroth enduro harness is super nice but IMO not worth the premium.

Ive run crow on my cars for the last 12 years.

You definitely want a 6point cam lock. Wrapped shoulders, clip in lap and bolt in sub. Sub should bolt under or behind you so they hug your thighs.
A 3" works with a HANS, but not as well as a 2". I actually run a 3" right now too, but it does not fit near as well as a 2" shoulder. When buying new harnesses, why not buy the right one to begin with?
Old 04-24-2019, 12:04 PM

Received 123 Likes on 98 Posts

You can get the nice Schroth belts from outside the US for much cheaper than you can here. MurrayMotorsport. (https://www.murraymotorsport.com/car...ness-seat-belt)

I also -- like the people above -- strongly recommend camlock, 2" shoulder belts, and pull-up for the lap belts, and I do think the little bit extra you pay for a Schroth from Murray over some of the more budget belts from a US distributor is worth the price.

Most people I see with harnesses are mis-adjusted and WAY too loose. Generally, they have shitty belts that are difficult to deal with.

Last edited by Chibo; 04-24-2019 at 12:08 PM.
Old 04-24-2019, 01:22 PM

Received 66 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by roel03
A 3" works with a HANS, but not as well as a 2". I actually run a 3" right now too, but it does not fit near as well as a 2" shoulder. When buying new harnesses, why not buy the right one to begin with?
If you street drive the car from/to without a hans on, then a 3" belt is preferable because it works both ways. If its a trailer queen and you never drive it without a hans, well then go with whatever you want.
Old 04-24-2019, 04:18 PM

Received 1,247 Likes on 944 Posts

Thanks guys.

A 3", 6pt camlock is exactly what I'm looking for.

I am looking into Schroth belts.

So...wrap around shoulder belt. Dogbone type preferred for HANS device add-on later.

I plan to fab up my own seat rails, so I will lower the seat a small amount. If I need to weld an extra bar, that's not an issue at all (I own a welder).

Anyone have a part number of Schroth that they are using? I'd like not to screw this up and get the wrong one. All the models I see on the Murray website have clip-in shoulder belts.

Thanks again for the help

Last edited by B serious; 04-24-2019 at 04:21 PM.

Quick Reply: Help with choosing a harness belt