S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

High quality dampers for the money?

Old 09-30-2014, 07:57 AM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Default High quality dampers for the money?

This question is usually asked as "what is the best coilover" or "what is the best shock". I want to bring the focus to the quality of the damping itself. Why? Because the packaging and other hardware is not as important to me. When it come to coilovers or shock/spring setups, the most important thing to me is the quality of the damper and valving/tuning itself. So here is what I need...

On my last track day, I ran a set of H&R (stiffer) springs with the OEM shocks, and it was clear I lost some body control and some stability. I am looking for stiffer valving with a regressive damping curve (lower high speed) to improve ride and predictability. Adjustable or non is not a priority as long as the valving can work well on the street and track. I am looking at spring rates around 400-550lbs, sticky tires but not slicks and street/track tuning. Obviously I would prefer to pay less but am willing if there is value added. I am also a believer the best shocks are designed in Europe, not Japan. If you have a contrary opinion, let me know. On my list are....

Koni Yellows with GC setup

Bilstein PSS with stiffer valving/springs

H&R (same as above)

KW Version 2

KW Version 3

Ohlins R&T DFV

What else is out there? I would consider more custom setups too, but would prefer something off the shelf.
Old 09-30-2014, 08:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

why isn't adjustability important to you?

if you want the "best" OTS rates, why pay significantly more for Ohlins, etc.
Old 09-30-2014, 08:11 AM
Community Organizer

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

i hear good things about the HKS super sports. i believe motoiq did a write up on it and tested it back to back against kw. From your list above it seems your price cap is somewhere in the 2500$ range. You can buy some shocks and get them revalved. or buy a used set of shocks from here and get them freshened up.
Old 09-30-2014, 08:50 AM

Received 66 Likes on 37 Posts

Your question is a tad broad since you don't really include price or goals for the car.

Top of my list would be Penske racing shocks setup by a reputable tuner local to you (Guy Ankeney setup my non-penske shocks and they are amazing). Expect this to be in the 5k+ range and is a no-compromises setup that is both amazingly comfortable on the street and delivers monumental grip on the racetrack.

Down from that would be a set of rebuildable mono-tubes setup similarly (Bilsteins with custom valving and spring perches). This will get you non-adjustable shocks that are 85% of the above setup for ~3k OTD.

Honestly IMO most people don't need adjustable shocks, they are a placebo, people that are constantly fiddling with damping settings at the track are usually not fine tuning they are just fooling themselves and instead of fixing their driving they are trying to overcome something they are doing wrong with a setup change. You need them set to fast, and only need to change the damping when making setup changes to the car. This lets you spend the rest of your efforts focusing on what will produce the most benefit, improving the driver.

I would steer clear of twin-tube shocks like the konis, and the KW's while ticking all the boxes (double adjustable, etc) are not easily rebuildable and the out-of-the-box spec just doesn't seem have the range to handle stiff springs.

Shocks are an area where you definitely get what you pay for but there is a lot of snake-oil out there.
Old 09-30-2014, 09:04 AM

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Buy my AST 4150s so i can get the penskes this spring :-)
Old 09-30-2014, 09:07 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

As others have said more info might help narrow the field but I have had good luck with my KW Clubsports. Springs are 572 pounds all around I think, but have yet to have to rebuild them. Have some 700 pounders for the front I will put on in the off season. Paid just about $2K BNIB
Old 09-30-2014, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by anorexicpoodle
Honestly IMO most people don't need adjustable shocks, they are a placebo, people that are constantly fiddling with damping settings at the track are usually not fine tuning they are just fooling themselves and instead of fixing their driving they are trying to overcome something they are doing wrong with a setup change. You need them set to fast, and only need to change the damping when making setup changes to the car. This lets you spend the rest of your efforts focusing on what will produce the most benefit, improving the driver.
I couldn't agree more. A good shock with the right valving should not need adjustments to work well. That's not to say that good shocks with real functional adjusters are not a benefit. I just think its a benefit not realized by most users.

My car is mostly stock aggressive street driven and HPDE. I guess 3k would be my max price. Where would be a good place for custom valved Bilsteins? I think the Penskes will just be too much for me. I have had good luck with Koni in the past but honestly would prefer a mono-tube. I wish Bilstein made a more aggressive coilover package than the PSS.
Old 09-30-2014, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by pgss2k
As others have said more info might help narrow the field but I have had good luck with my KW Clubsports. Springs are 572 pounds all around I think, but have yet to have to rebuild them. Have some 700 pounders for the front I will put on in the off season. Paid just about $2K BNIB
2K seems like a good deal.. Where?
Old 09-30-2014, 10:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your car is purely HPDE then this means you'll be using street rubber and entry level R comp I assume.

I'd go with KW Clubsport for your price range. The AST4150 for sale would be another excellent option in R&C, but would require you to piece the rest together.
Old 09-30-2014, 10:27 AM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I believe you mean digressive, quick ramp to larger amounts of low speed forces controlling roll pitch or dive, with a tapering off curve to only incrementally increase the high speed blow off force, giving you stability over sharp cracks, kurbs, etc. PROGRESSIVE (edit) would be a car that would be sloppy in the low speeds and stiff and jumpy over sharp changes in the road surface.

550 will be pretty soft, but okay with street tires. I am in the 800-700 range with street tires and wish I had a little more spring. The ideal damper is the one set for YOUR car, YOUR modifications. OTS will get you in a ballpark but if you have different tires or spring rates than the OE tuned for they will be less than ideal.

I would recommend that you speak with Guy Ankeny from ARE or Shaikh from FatCat motorsports and have a set of bilstein PSS/PSS9 Dampers built for you and your car. No matter how much you spend if its not designed for your specific application it will take many hours of a skill driver and technician to dial the settings in just right.

Fortune auto has the valving technology/quality (Japanese and Swedish internal parts) but does not have the R&D knowledge to set the curves to your exact car. I will be working with them over the winter and testing next year to have a OTS profile that is a bit more suited to our cars but it will take some time. However if you have a ideal of what you'd like your critical damping set to they have no problem matching the shape of any profile you desire.

Quick Reply: High quality dampers for the money?