S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

How many track days - RE71R

Old 03-29-2018, 01:18 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PaddyMcP
Yah I can safely say we've never run across a 6 hr fall off. In the enduros the first driver of the day ALWAYS complains about overall grip. They think the pressures are too high, they are just fine in reality. We thought about shaving the tire to mitigate it but we didn't want to be forced to change during an 8 hr in the garage. Being forced to do it in the garage is what kills yah with AER.

SOFT springs. I think it's 700/500 lbs but I'd have to look at my notes. I've run soft springs on the r comps too without any trouble. Backed up with a real deal shock and a high enough ride height.
255’s on 9” wheels??
Old 05-05-2018, 07:19 PM

Received 70 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by LeonV
They're a pretty soft compound. I flip them on the rims after two or three days and can probably get another 2-3 days out of them. Due to the rain grooves the short, middle tread block wears down the quickest. The RE71s are great but I'd jump to the NT01s if they made them in AP2 stagger. You will not wear them down driving to the track as long as your alignment is in check.

I've been playing with my alignment throughout the course of their use (I've done 8-10 days on the 71s) but in a nutshell I run zero toe front, minimal toe rear, and max camber - these tires like 3+ degrees.
How worn are they when you flip them? I've done three track days and an autocross on mine so far (with 3.5 degrees front, 2.5 rear) and the center tread blocks are at the wear bars on the outside—probably 3-4/32" more on the inside. Considering flipping them, but wondering if that could kill my grip since instead of rolling onto the worn flat surfaces, I'll be rolling up onto the points of the tread blocks, if that makes sense. Have you found that at all? And have you run a set out without flipping to see how much longer flipping gives you? Thanks!
Old 05-06-2018, 08:45 AM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Nate Tempest
How worn are they when you flip them? I've done three track days and an autocross on mine so far (with 3.5 degrees front, 2.5 rear) and the center tread blocks are at the wear bars on the outside—probably 3-4/32" more on the inside. Considering flipping them, but wondering if that could kill my grip since instead of rolling onto the worn flat surfaces, I'll be rolling up onto the points of the tread blocks, if that makes sense. Have you found that at all? And have you run a set out without flipping to see how much longer flipping gives you? Thanks!
I've flipped both sets that I've run so I don't have a direct comparison. It's the same for me, the outside of the center tread is at the bars when I flip them and the cross section is wedge-shaped. I wouldn't say it kills grip, they're plenty grippy after flipping. Maybe take it easy the first session or two to feel them out.
Old 05-10-2018, 06:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone have issues with the tread blocks feathering? I'm on my 5th day with the only street driving being to and from and had some feathering all around this last time out. Temps were low/mid 90's so not sure if that contributed at all. ~3 degrees camber front and rear and no toe.
Old 05-10-2018, 08:03 AM

Received 75 Likes on 45 Posts

Even with 3 deg camber some feathering is normal. I notice more occurs when driving on tracks with higher speed corners. Your driving style will impact it too.

Perhaps post a picture so we can see how severe it is?
Old 05-10-2018, 09:31 AM

Received 1,193 Likes on 926 Posts

Originally Posted by Nate Tempest

From my experience with them (autocross) you want to flip them before the center rib gets down to the bottom on one side. That rib will wear faster than the outside edge if you have the right amount of camber. If that rib wears all the way down on one side, the tire seems to wear out faster once flipped, or at least has seemed to in my experience.
Old 05-10-2018, 04:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DanielB
Even with 3 deg camber some feathering is normal. I notice more occurs when driving on tracks with higher speed corners. Your driving style will impact it too.

Perhaps post a picture so we can see how severe it is?
Not too bad, but the center rib is worn down considerably more towards the outside...guess its time to flip them.
Old 05-11-2018, 04:24 AM

Received 75 Likes on 45 Posts

Looks like a soft tire driven hard on a hot day - to be expected. Looks like you'll get a few more days out them too.