S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Racing and Competition (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-racing-competition-11/)
-   -   How often are you changing your oil (after/between events)? (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-racing-competition-11/how-often-you-changing-your-oil-after-between-events-1193500/)

RedCelica 04-20-2019 08:11 PM

How often are you changing your oil (after/between events)?

Was rather scolded recently when I told some folks that since I only do 6-7 events per year, and MAYBE put 1000 miles on the car, I had been changing my oil (Amsoil Signature) once a year. At least two folks told me that it's commonplace to change your oil either after EVERY track event or every other one. That seems a bit excessive. What's your interval?

Bullwings 04-20-2019 08:43 PM

3 track days, which is about 1200-1500 miles - driving to, on, and from track events.

I've sent my oil out for analysis (blackstone), and they have said that I can likely do longer frequencies. BUT, they did note that the oil definitely showed signs of being track driven.

I'm on shell rotella t6 5w40.

I might start extending to 4 track events. I just sent out 2 samples for analysis.

circuitclub 04-20-2019 09:42 PM

Other than oil analysis, I don't see how you could determine the "optimal" interval. I use to change it every event, now I do every other event - no data but just lazier. I just to change transmission and diff fluid 2-3 times a year since these components had not "cooling system" but now I do it every year.

s2kshepard 04-21-2019 09:10 AM

I change it every 5 or 6 track days. I do 2-4 track days a month, it's fairly unreasonable to me to change every single track day.

I don't send it for analysis, I send it into the braking zone.

spaded.racer 04-21-2019 09:35 AM

An AutoX datapoint;
I've done data analysis since getting my AP2. Running Amsoil Dominator 10w30.
Last year had the most miles/time on it. 3300 miles on the last oil change, 11+ events, 3 that were 2-500 miles away(one way).
Blackstone said oil looked great and no worries to run it longer.

I plan on doing more track events in the future mixed in with autox so we'll see how the oil analysis looks in the future.

Dead Serious 04-21-2019 09:44 AM

I change my oil before every event. I use cheap mobil 1. Alternatively, you can use top shelf oil and change to a labs driven interval. Plenty of guys post their labs results here. I've seen guys running 5+ weekend events. I figure I could save money buy using top shelf with extended interval but i guess im comfortable with my current plan. Ive been tracking my MY05 since 2010 and done 70 ish events and 130,000 miles. I still make 226 hp and dont burn enough oil to register on the dip stick. I dont run an aftermarket oil cooler and only run honda filters changed after three oil changes. I bought my car basically new so its never been neglected.

freq 04-21-2019 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by Dead Serious (Post 24592541)
I change my oil before every event. I use cheap mobil 1. Alternatively, you can use top shelf oil and change to a labs driven interval. Plenty of guys post their labs results here. I've seen guys running 5+ weekend events. I figure I could save money buy using top shelf with extended interval but i guess im comfortable with my current plan. Ive been tracking my MY05 since 2010 and done 70 ish events and 130,000 miles. I still make 226 hp and dont burn enough oil to register on the dip stick. I dont run an aftermarket oil cooler and only run honda filters changed after three oil changes. I bought my car basically new so its never been neglected.

Pretty much what I do.

:thumbup: to Red Celica for the new topic. :suspect:

I'm sorry but you cannot compare auto-x to track when talking about about oil change intervals.

Xene 04-21-2019 02:42 PM

I just change my oil once a year. I do like 2-4 events per year a few autocrosses (max 2000 miles per year). Never done a blackstone report though. Based on spaded.racer data you can definitely just do once a year unless you are doing like 10+ events per year.

My mileage has started to drop even more now that I tow the car to track sometimes. lol.

sillyboybmxer 04-21-2019 07:59 PM

Once per year.
100 or so autox runs usually and maybe 3000 daily miles.
Always send out for analysis. Always comes back fine and "go longer next time"
5 yrs doing this
Motul 300v or Redline 5w30

RedCelica 04-22-2019 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by freq (Post 24592573)
Pretty much what I do.

:thumbup: to Red Celica for the new topic. :suspect:

I'm sorry but you cannot compare auto-x to track when talking about about oil change intervals.

In my defense, I did do a quick search of the forum before posting this :LOL: Anyway, glad to beat this dead horse again :p