S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Inside Wheel Spin. Howd you fix it??

Old 10-23-2017, 04:43 AM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Yeah Ill check all those things and maybe set my caster closer to 5.5. I only changed my diff mounts because my car was still on the worn original ones. No other reason.
Old 10-23-2017, 04:59 AM

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

Are you very opposed to adding a good diff in the rear? While it would likely necessitate other setup changes it should fix your problem. Or like others have said try going to a smaller rear sway bar like the Karcepts that gives you some adjustment.
Old 10-23-2017, 05:20 AM
Former Moderator

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

I had this same problem with my car--right rear wheel spin in turn 5 at Summit Point Main. It's a tight right hander with a bump near the apex. I could reduce it by widening the line a little to avoid the bump but still got some spin. I bumped off the rev limiter there during my personal best lap.

The car was well sorted and ran within 7/100 of the S2K track record. The car had a cage, Square 255 NT01 or 245 Hoosiers, big front bar, stiff stock AP1 rear bar and KW V3 shocks running about 1.1" low. The car was corner balanced regularly. I had front roll control adjusters and ran max caster. Only a new diff solved the issue.

Until you get a corner balance you could extend the right rear shock a little or retract the left rear.
The following users liked this post:
f20kills (10-23-2017)
Old 10-23-2017, 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by //steve\\
Are you very opposed to adding a good diff in the rear? While it would likely necessitate other setup changes it should fix your problem. Or like others have said try going to a smaller rear sway bar like the Karcepts that gives you some adjustment.
Not at all. I think in the end thats what Ill end up doing is just getting a diff. Its just this last event my car performed horribly and has never had lift that bad lol.

I think Ill redo my alignment and corner balance at the same time 1st. See how it performs. If its still noticeable, diff will be my fix. Everything else will be like a band aid if it doesn't fully solve the problem which it sounds like a diff is the only way to go to fix it.
Old 10-23-2017, 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by robrob
I had this same problem with my car--right rear wheel spin in turn 5 at Summit Point Main. It's a tight right hander with a bump near the apex. I could reduce it by widening the line a little to avoid the bump but still got some spin. I bumped off the rev limiter there during my personal best lap.

The car was well sorted and ran within 7/100 of the S2K track record. The car had a cage, Square 255 NT01 or 245 Hoosiers, big front bar, stiff stock AP1 rear bar and KW V3 shocks running about 1.1" low. The car was corner balanced regularly. I had front roll control adjusters and ran max caster. Only a new diff solved the issue.

Until you get a corner balance you could extend the right rear shock a little or retract the left rear.
Thanks for the input! Yeah, looks like a diff is needed then. I dont want to change a bunch of things only for it to still happen. My car feels very balanced as it is with slight over steer (dont want any under steer).
It was one of the more frustrating things to "float" through corners while bouncing off the rev limiter lol
Old 10-23-2017, 08:34 AM

Received 123 Likes on 98 Posts

Do these diffs have a pre-failure mode where they start to lock up less ( I figured they just went bang )? Perhaps you've reached that point, if it exists.
Old 10-23-2017, 11:04 AM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by Chibo
Do these diffs have a pre-failure mode where they start to lock up less ( I figured they just went bang )? Perhaps you've reached that point, if it exists.
No, they are totally mechanical, not that sophisticated. Therefore I assume the OP is not at full throttle when experiencing this inside wheel spin, or he would be drifting sideways, but rather at low/moderate maintenance throttle through the turn so the diff isn't in lock up mode.

Last edited by s2000Junky; 10-23-2017 at 11:07 AM.
Chibo (10-23-2017)
Old 10-23-2017, 11:08 AM

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

You need to determine if you have shock-travel-limited wheel lift or you have lift induced by the sway bar. Disconnect the rear bar and see if you still lift the wheel. If you're out of shock travel, then your options are to go with stiffer springs all around to reduce roll, or to use a diff that isn't affected negatively by wheel lift. If the problem is the rear sway bar is lifting the wheel before the shock runs out of travel, then you need to ditch the rear sway for something softer or take it off altogether. You can re-balance the roll rate by increasing rear spring rate.

Gordon Murray originally designed the McLaren F1 to run without a rear sway bar for a reason. When ride rate staggers have been selected appropriately for grip, a rear sway bar is almost never needed to achieve grip balance. This comes with many benefits. Unfortunately the vast majority of off-the-shelf coilovers for the S2000 have inappropriate spring rate staggers because they are assuming you're still running a sway bar - they're trying to correct for the problem they assume your car still has.

That said, I've never heard of anyone who upgraded to a better diff who regretted it. Lots of happy OS Giken folks out there.
f20kills (10-23-2017)
Old 10-23-2017, 01:02 PM

Ive never has this problem until my last event. The only difference was stiffer diff mounts and 7 degrees of caster instead of 6. An car has not been balanced in forever lol

Ive ran stiffer front bars, Ive ran no rear bar and I do not care for how the car handles.No rear bar is the worst lol. I run 16k springs (SRCs) now with stock 2002 sways front and rear.
To me the car is perfectly balanced. Ill make sure to check a few things before I pull the trigger on a diff. Lots of helpful info!
Old 10-24-2017, 05:53 AM
Former Moderator

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

I assume the OP is not at full throttle when experiencing this inside wheel spin, or he would be drifting sideways, but rather at low/moderate maintenance throttle through the turn so the diff isn't in lock up mode.
The car usually stays planted during inside rear wheel spin because the loaded outside rear has grip and just idles along without spinning. I bounced off the rev limiter at full throttle many times with no control problems.

Quick Reply: Inside Wheel Spin. Howd you fix it??