S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Inside Wheel Spin. Howd you fix it??

Old 10-24-2017, 06:00 AM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by robrob
The car usually stays planted during inside rear wheel spin because the loaded outside rear has grip and just idles along without spinning. I bounced off the rev limiter at full throttle many times with no control problems.
I didn't even see this quote by s2000Junky. But just as you said, the car "coasts" through the turn while you're bouncing off the rev limiter. My car feels like I'm coasting even with the throttle pinned.
No drama from the car at all.
Old 10-24-2017, 09:37 AM

Received 66 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by f20kills
Ive never has this problem until my last event. The only difference was stiffer diff mounts and 7 degrees of caster instead of 6. An car has not been balanced in forever lol

Ive ran stiffer front bars, Ive ran no rear bar and I do not care for how the car handles.No rear bar is the worst lol. I run 16k springs (SRCs) now with stock 2002 sways front and rear.
To me the car is perfectly balanced. Ill make sure to check a few things before I pull the trigger on a diff. Lots of helpful info!
you might also do the basic diff test. Since our diff is basically miata internals i took a suggestion from Emilio on how to test the miata diffs. Turn each direction full lock, and apply gas. You should feel the inside wheel slip when throttle is applied. If not, diff is done. Even just a rebuilt OEM diff was a night and day difference on my car.
The following users liked this post:
f20kills (10-25-2017)
Old 10-24-2017, 10:26 AM

Received 123 Likes on 98 Posts

Have you dumped the diff fluid yet? Cheap, and worth a look.
Old 10-25-2017, 06:44 AM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Ill try that out Ryan.

Chibo, all fluids were changed prior to the event but thanks for the heads up.
Old 10-25-2017, 07:21 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Extra caster can definitely cause caster jacking that can make the inside rear lighter and allow it to spin.

A stiffer front bar will help. A softer rear bar will allow more wheel independence. Short dampers or high spring rates that don't allow sufficient droop can cause lift too.
The following users liked this post:
f20kills (10-25-2017)
Old 10-25-2017, 12:36 PM

Received 96 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by f20kills
Right now it’s only right hand turns. I think at this point as a corner balance is needed
. I’m 225lbs so the added weight I’m sure plays a big part if my car isn’t balanced properly. Some added preload might not be a bad idea too in the rear.
Definitely would be interested in knowing if a corner balance solves it for you. Definitely worth a shot.

But yeah I will add that an upgraded diff is definitely the business. The response from the rear end when on and off throttle is incredible.
Old 10-25-2017, 04:43 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by thomsbrain
....... If the problem is the rear sway bar is lifting the wheel before the shock runs out of travel, then you need to ditch the rear sway for something softer or take it off altogether. You can re-balance the roll rate by increasing rear spring rate. .......
I've often wondered why folks don't do this more often. According to my spreadsheets its totally possible to re balance the car using springs as far as under/oversteer & ultimate grip level are concerned. I am not sure what cons this would bring to the table.
Old 10-25-2017, 10:01 PM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by decepticondc5
I've often wondered why folks don't do this more often. According to my spreadsheets its totally possible to re balance the car using springs as far as under/oversteer & ultimate grip level are concerned. I am not sure what cons this would bring to the table.
Well for a couple reasons, one of which is not a lot of reasonably priced of the shelf dampers for this car that will control 18- 24kg spring rates. 12-14kg seems to be about it, and thats not enough alone without sway bar for R compound grip levels. You put a 20kg spring on your standard KW v3 and it will feel like a pogo stick, if you can even get it to hold its seals long enough to not blow oil all over your tires and brakes by the end of your session. You can get anything you want if you have enough money, which is what it will take for something like a beefy custom valved Penske to handle those level of spring rates. I dont have 5 grand for coilovers though to control minor inside wheel slippage which I rarely encounter with the stock diff myself, at least at my track, but ive got my spring rates/sways/alingment dialed in for the tires I run. I actually get more of it on the street maneuvering around in off camber road situations. Its not that big of an issue typically for folks on this platform i dont think, which is probably the other reason its not as popular, even though it would yield some broad improvements. The other is that you can do quick tuning changes for free once you invest in adjustable sway bars, and your stuck with what you got and hope its right once you rely solely on springs to do the job. There is no swapping those out in any reasonable way for tuning at the track. So I guess it just comes don to practicality, the benefit versus the compromises.

Last edited by s2000Junky; 10-25-2017 at 10:19 PM.
Old 10-26-2017, 12:37 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by s2000Junky
Well for a couple reasons, one of which is not a lot of reasonably priced of the shelf dampers for this car that will control 18- 24kg spring rates. 12-14kg seems to be about it, and thats not enough alone without sway bar for R compound grip levels. You put a 20kg spring on your standard KW v3 and it will feel like a pogo stick, if you can even get it to hold its seals long enough to not blow oil all over your tires and brakes by the end of your session. You can get anything you want if you have enough money, which is what it will take for something like a beefy custom valved Penske to handle those level of spring rates. I dont have 5 grand for coilovers though to control minor inside wheel slippage which I rarely encounter with the stock diff myself, at least at my track, but ive got my spring rates/sways/alingment dialed in for the tires I run. I actually get more of it on the street maneuvering around in off camber road situations. Its not that big of an issue typically for folks on this platform i dont think, which is probably the other reason its not as popular, even though it would yield some broad improvements. The other is that you can do quick tuning changes for free once you invest in adjustable sway bars, and your stuck with what you got and hope its right once you rely solely on springs to do the job. There is no swapping those out in any reasonable way for tuning at the track. So I guess it just comes don to practicality, the benefit versus the compromises.
FWIW, to your first point, dampers need to control ARB's as well. The damper is sized to the wheel rate and not just the spring rate of the coil spring alone.
Old 10-26-2017, 01:20 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by s2000Junky
Not to mention that there's an obvious trade off in bump compliance.

Quick Reply: Inside Wheel Spin. Howd you fix it??