S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Racing and Competition (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-racing-competition-11/)
-   -   Instructor/Student comms (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-racing-competition-11/instructor-student-comms-1173422/)

davidc1 10-04-2017 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by will010100 (Post 24345056)
You omitted inexpensive from your request, so... :-)

I have a Roux helmet prewired with noise-canceling mic and earphones. It works really well with the chatterbox adapter. My students still need to use the cheapo mic/earpiece that came with the chatterbox, but now I have a spare. I've mitigated risk by wire-tying the cable and mic together and reminding my students to leave it in the helmet.

I'm fully aware a new helmet is not an inexpensive solution, but if you need to buy a helmet anyway (because your old one is expired or just smells like a fish basket) then seriously consider getting one with communication built in. Roux makes a very nice helmet that is a real value for everything you get.

I just looked into the Roux helmet, as they have a composite one that is under $500. You mentioned that the mic is noise cancelling. But they told me that the mic is actually not noise cancelling (meaning active noise cancelling like all cell phones and some earbuds). They did say it does a good job of "absorbing" background noise though. Or do you have a different mic in there? A noise cancelling mic, and ear speakers for that matter, must be powered somehow.

will010100 10-05-2017 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by davidc1
I just looked into the Roux helmet, as they have a composite one that is under $500. You mentioned that the mic is noise cancelling. But they told me that the mic is actually not noise cancelling (meaning active noise cancelling like all cell phones and some earbuds). They did say it does a good job of "absorbing" background noise though. Or do you have a different mic in there? A noise cancelling mic, and ear speakers for that matter, must be powered somehow.

I'm not really sure where I learned it had noise canceling technology. It could have been the salesperson taking liberty describing the passive technology. There are several options for the ear pieces: flat speaker pads give more room in the helmet and padded cups that fit around your ears like headphones.

I still use my chatterbox with the adapter to connect with the helmet jack. I believe the sound quality of the helmet mic/speakers far surpass the chatterbox (even with the other person using the chatterbox headset.) Even without active features to cancel noise, the passive features work very well. When I was using the chatterbox headset in my helmet, I found myself speaking very loudly and asking my students to repeat themselves even with the volume at max. I still keep the volume at max because I want my students to hear me, but it is loud and clear on my side. My students also understand me better.

Sorry for misrepresenting the features. I was told they were noise-canceling, and based on the performance, I believed what I was told.

RedCelica 10-05-2017 08:53 PM

Ended up buying the chattercrap package: box mounted to helmet, helmet mounted/stickied instructor comms and zip-tied+electrical tapped student comms...we'll see how they do this weekend. Total investment: $123.