S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Jackson Racing Dual Radiator/Oil Cooler

Old 08-22-2016, 08:45 AM

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Miss S2k
Originally Posted by Krazykoreankid' timestamp='1471361845' post='24040609
anyone on this forum running around with this thing? if so what are your thoughts on it!

I have one on my time attack/track only S2000 and love it. If you've ever had to source out your own oil cooler, you'll appreciate how easy the JR unit is, with everything already perfectly measured out and fitted. It's also really efficient- I have a stock AP2 motor right now and I actually need to warm the car up before going on track now. I'm planning a crazy motor setup for it in the near future, so this is really helpful for me.
Have you ever logged temps? This is very interesting option, just wondering how well it works compared to the traditional setup
Old 08-22-2016, 11:47 AM
Community Organizer

Received 217 Likes on 138 Posts

Lol I was just going to post about this, because I saw a car at Chewerks with this radiator and was super confused and intrigued. All makes sense, now.
Old 08-23-2016, 07:22 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The BRZ/FR-S one that I've tested and observed was solid. From that experience, I have been eager to run this unit in my car as I wanted a more integrated unit that fits within the factory parameters. I picked one up for my CR recently and will post up install pics when I get to it.

Unfortunately, I don't have a oil temperatures of OEM setup. I can only guestimate the temperature difference between ECT & OT on OEM setup is around ~50F. I've been told temperatures are closer to a ~30F delta between ECT & OT with this setup with the ECT holding at respectable operating temperature. I'll find out once my AiM Solo DL components get replaced.
Old 08-23-2016, 08:06 AM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

You can now get the Mr. Sideways radiator (dual pass) with integrated oil cooler for about the same price...
Old 08-23-2016, 04:09 PM
Former Moderator

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

I want a Jackson Racing dual radiator for my NC Miata! You lucky S2K bastards!
Old 08-23-2016, 04:21 PM

Received 559 Likes on 391 Posts

Originally Posted by robrob
Hah!!! i was wondering what the new chassis was that you moved to. Comparisons, feedback, review versus your s2k, other than stating the obvious (motor/power differences)?

And yes, I want one of these dual rad/oil coolers too. I currently have a Mrsideways radiator that I have yet to install... may consider putting it up for sale.
Old 08-24-2016, 12:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bullwings
Originally Posted by robrob' timestamp='1471997388' post='24046130
Hah!!! i was wondering what the new chassis was that you moved to. Comparisons, feedback, review versus your s2k, other than stating the obvious (motor/power differences)?
Not to completely derail this thread but I'm interested in this as well.
Old 08-24-2016, 05:32 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Orjinal
How likely is it to fail and mix oil with coolant?

Originally Posted by Mrsideways' timestamp='1471363539' post='24040629
Originally Posted by Orjinal
How likely is it to fail and mix oil with coolant?
That depends on the quality of the cooler they use for the oil. Loads of OEM cars are setup like this. I run a shop and the failure rate is pretty rare. The Transmission cooler in the rads fail more often. But I can tell you, the customers that buy the cheap ebay rads the cooler failure is near 100%. Had a guy recently put an $81 radiator in his car. Then had me do the head gasket. After doing the head gasket he had oil mixing with coolant again. He of course brought it back, we found it to be the radiator. Thing was bran new. So it's all down to the quality of the core.
This. Most Toyota's (where I work) are set up this way and I can count the amount of times I've replaced one for failing on one hand across all models. As long as they don't use cheap cores, I don't see this being an issue.

Side note. I didn't know you made an integrated cooler set up Ian. I will be in touch about getting one. Running your dual pass currently but an integrated oil cooler would greatly help my new setup.
Old 08-24-2016, 06:44 AM

Received 33 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Redline S2K
This. Most Toyota's (where I work) are set up this way and I can count the amount of times I've replaced one for failing on one hand across all models. As long as they don't use cheap cores, I don't see this being an issue.
I've got a 3rd gen 4Runner that comes with a radiator with built in transmission fluid cooler. And the "strawberry milkshake" issue (red coolant mixing with ATF) is one of the first thing people will tell you about when buying an automatic 3rd gen. I've always wondered how many cars actually had that failure or if it happened to a few people then just got repeated over and over again. I replaced mine as a precaution but I had 210k+ miles on it so it was about time anyway.

Either way, I'm interested in this radiator as well but I want to log my oil temps first so I can decide if it is necessary.

The thing that turns me off about the Mr Sideways radiator with built in oil cooler is it is 3 inch thick. From what I have read most NA S2000s don't struggle keeping coolant temps under control so going from a 5/8" thick (OEM) to 3" thick seems overkill. The JR radiator at 1-5/8" seems much more reasonable and I'd rather not have the extra weight at the very front of the car. Plus, $635 for the Mr Sideways radiator w/ oil cooler does not include sandwich plate and assembled oil cooler lines so not too different in regard to price in my eyes.

Here are some more specs on the oil cooler for those interested (from csfrace.com)

Now available! Another collaboration effort between Jackson Racing & CSF on this highly anticipated and much needed full cooling system solution for the Honda S2000 platform. Combining CSF’s 2-row race-spec 42mm core with exclusive B-Tube technology, along with a robust 4-plate liquid-to-oil cooler in the bottom endtank. Finally a complete cooling system solution for race enthusiast using the F22C engine! Jackson Racing finishes off the kit as a complete “drop-in fit” solution with sandwich plate, oil lines & fittings, plus step-by-step instructions for a true plug-and-play unit. This engine platfrom is notorious for high oil temps and CSF’s preliminary testing alongside Jackson Racing has been extremely encouraging. (CSF #7009O)

Old 08-24-2016, 07:03 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ckowalc

I've got a 3rd gen 4Runner that comes with a radiator with built in transmission fluid cooler. And the "strawberry milkshake" issue (red coolant mixing with ATF) is one of the first thing people will tell you about when buying an automatic 3rd gen. I've always wondered how many cars actually had that failure or if it happened to a few people then just got repeated over and over again. I replaced mine as a precaution but I had 210k+ miles on it so it was about time anyway.

Either way, I'm interested in this radiator as well but I want to log my oil temps first so I can decide if it is necessary.

Here are some more specs on the oil cooler for those interested (from csfrace.com)
That model is the only one with a repeat issue, and it's mostly the 03 (or whichever was the first year for that model). Those are the only ones I've replaced and only 2 in six years.

Quick Reply: Jackson Racing Dual Radiator/Oil Cooler