S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Kart Racing Workout Recommendations

Old 05-08-2008, 07:03 PM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by victory423,May 8 2008, 05:49 PM
The rookie league at F1boston consists of 8 summertime meetings. They are run on an indoor track, an outdoor track and the two tracks combined. 10 laps practice and two 35 lap races for each of the 8 meets. F1Boston provides the driving suit, helmet, kart, track, maintenance and the competitors. It's a good value at $400 for the entire season. That's certainly less that a new set of competition tires.
Outdoor track?!! They're both indoor, tho one looks like its out in the country.

http://www.f1boston.com/racing_track_maps.asp
Old 05-09-2008, 12:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GT Motoring DC5,May 8 2008, 05:04 PM
A former co-worker of mine was a good family friend of Jacques Villeneuve and she said he would basically do simulator training with a full suit on, heavy heavy weights on his arms and additional weights in a weighted suit and then TONS of weight attached to his helmet for neck strength.

Last year on Honda's F1 website, their physio actually had a video segment on some of the core building exercises that Jenson Button and Rubens would do, but I'm not sure if it's still on the site.
Yeah thats some of the stuff i have seen those guys do. Of course it helps when you get paid $millions to race and you can have entire training machines built for the purpose of simulator training and spot training specific muscles. I watched a vid with Kimi training with a McLaren PT and one of the things he had him do was balancing on the ball with his shins, while throwing a medicine ball back and forth...I tried it with my GF (who is also a PT) and the best we could do was just to balance on the ball for 10 seconds on our shins.

One of the Senna docu's I have interviews a physician briefly who states that F1 drivers have to sustain an avg heart rate of 180bpm for a min of 2 hours with cardiac accelerations that peak around 220bpm (during passes). The internal organs are also under a great deal of stress during cornering and braking. Senna did ALOT of running, just short of what a distance runner would do during training. His resting heart rate was 48bpm.

I think the lateral G load in most karts is at least 2g, or twice that of an S2000. We had an indoor place here that FormalRedline and I used to duke it out at on a regular basis, and just being in good shape would give you an advantage in the enduro's we ran. I really miss it. We ran Autox and track days together with karting and it really helped keep you fresh in terms of seat of the pants feel and muscle memory.

BTW- congrats on losing that weight Mike
Old 05-09-2008, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by SlipAngle79,May 9 2008, 12:59 PM

I think the lateral G load in most karts is at least 2g, or twice that of an S2000. We had an indoor place here that FormalRedline and I used to duke it out at on a regular basis, and just being in good shape would give you an advantage in the enduro's we ran.
Indoor karts barely break 1g, if that.

Real karts with sticky tires are usually around 1.5g, with spikes up to 2g over bumps in some corners.
Old 05-09-2008, 04:50 PM

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts

I've seen spikes of 3 But yea, usually around 1.5-1.7 sustained
Old 05-09-2008, 05:35 PM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My iphone can't do 3G.
Old 05-09-2008, 08:38 PM
Former Sponsor

Hahahaha...it's coming. Too bad we'll have to pay for it. (regarding the 3Gs, lol)

Thanks on the congratulations! I've still got a long way to go, and to be honest, I stopped for about the last 3 months as I've been fighting a nasty infection and have been trying to piece the car back together.

So 220bpms? That's unbeleiveable. I have a hard time getting my heart rate up above 125-130 when I'm really pushing it. I'll have to find this documentary on Senna...ever since I found out he died on my birthday, I've been fascinated with him (I only got into motorsports and F1 about 3-4 years ago...I know, shame on me). I didn't really think many drivers did much physical training though until obsessive perfectionists like Senna and Schumacher arrived.

Also, that's great about Senna having a resting heart rate of 48bpm...simply for the fact that I had an argument with my girlfriend, or I should say a nice debate regarding an individual's resting heart rate. I go to the chiropractor 3 times a week and do spinal restorative traction due to the amount of compression in my spine...basically I put myself on a stretcher. The thing is that they monitor the percentage of oxygen in your bloodstream and your heart rate. I told my girlfriend that I had a resting heart rate of around 50-54bpm usually and she said it was impossible and that it wasn't healthy. Any truth to that?

And how does one go about getting their heart rate up that fast for such a sustained period of time?

Maybe I ought to look into getting a membership at the indoor karting facility nearby. I've only done it a few times, but absolutely loved it. It's amazing how physically drained you feel after that. If only I had the time and money to do something like that on a daily basis.
Old 05-09-2008, 10:16 PM

im too fat
Old 05-10-2008, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by GT Motoring DC5,May 9 2008, 08:38 PM
Maybe I ought to look into getting a membership at the indoor karting facility nearby. I've only done it a few times, but absolutely loved it. It's amazing how physically drained you feel after that. If only I had the time and money to do something like that on a daily basis.
Lol...

Indoor karting should not be physically draining. Real karts beat you up 10 times more.

You are probably both out of shape and way too tense behind the wheel. I'm in OK shape, but I'm a decent kart driver, and that means I'm not gorilla-gripping the wheel and bracing my body in the corners. I'm calm & relaxed... I could do indoor karts all day long, and I'm nothing special.

My $.02 is to focus on your driving. Try to get to the point where you're relaxed and mainly using your muscles to give steering/brake/throttle inputs, rather than having your whole forearms & upper body tensed up. Unless you're incredibly out of shape, I guarantee you that this is what's causing you fatigue.
Old 05-10-2008, 01:27 PM

2 years ago I raced a gsxr600 and had the same problem with my forearms from braking so hard into turns. In order to get my power endurance to the level where my forearms could recover in between each turn I used an old broom stick. I cut it in half and drilled a hole through it. Take a length of rope from your shoulder height down and tie it through the hole. tie a weight (5 lbs to start) to the other end. Hold the stick in front of you with your arms straight out and roll the weight up and down (don't let it fall back down once you've reached the top). Once you can do this 5 times move to a 10lb weight. You can roll the weight forwards and backwards to work both sides of your forearm. This will also get your shoulders in shape. I used to do this 3 times a week when I raced and never had a problem with my arms getting pumped.
Old 05-10-2008, 01:37 PM

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by S2Kretard,May 10 2008, 01:09 PM
Lol...

Indoor karting should not be physically draining. Real karts beat you up 10 times more.

You are probably both out of shape and way too tense behind the wheel. I'm in OK shape, but I'm a decent kart driver, and that means I'm not gorilla-gripping the wheel and bracing my body in the corners. I'm calm & relaxed... I could do indoor karts all day long, and I'm nothing special.

My $.02 is to focus on your driving. Try to get to the point where you're relaxed and mainly using your muscles to give steering/brake/throttle inputs, rather than having your whole forearms & upper body tensed up. Unless you're incredibly out of shape, I guarantee you that this is what's causing you fatigue.
I do believe you are in better shape than me...

...and your arms were hurting much more than mine after some Kart Factory action

---Further proof to justify your claims

Quick Reply: Kart Racing Workout Recommendations