S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Racing and Competition (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-racing-competition-11/)
-   -   Kpro4 to AIM solo DL data feed tutorial (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-racing-competition-11/kpro4-aim-solo-dl-data-feed-tutorial-1153580/)

anorexicpoodle 05-23-2016 08:25 PM

Kpro4 to AIM solo DL data feed tutorial

8 Attachment(s)
OK Since I spent the past few months getting this working and going back and forth with AIM and Hondata I figured I would do a write-up on how I did it.

Why would you do this? You have a Kpro4 and an AIM solo DL and want ALL your ecu data overlayed with g-loads and speed etc. If you lost a motor at the track and wondered why, this would likely answer it for you.

Why am I writing this? Because the documentation from AIM only refers to the V3 kpro and is WRONG and Hondata offers almost no guidance here

So first things first you will need:
  1. Kpro 4 (duh)
  2. Aim Solo DL (also duh)
  3. Aim Solo CAN/RS232 harness (This one)
  4. 2 0.062 12 pin molex connectors (Like this one)
  5. a 0.062 molex pin tool (Like this one)
  6. Kpro accessory harness (like this one)
  7. A second Kpro accessory harness (only needed if you plan to wire up analog sensors beyond the engine sensors)
  8. wire strippers
  9. heat shrink tubing
  10. heat gun

So this write-up will cover BOTH Serial and CanBus data as the resulting harness will do both.

First things first, remove the ECU from the car and open it up. Connect the accessory harness like this making sure to note the black wire is on the GND pin. This orientation is important.
Attachment 170441

At this point you will want to strip the end of every wire on the accessory harness and pin them with the MALE pins from one the molex kits.

Next looking at the top left corner of the wire side of the female molex connector punch down the pins. I like to go like this:
GND(blk) I- (gry) CANL (yel) VSS (red)
O(Blk) 232TX (brn) CANH (blu)
I+(prp) 232RX (grn) ETH (whit)

You should end up with something like this when done:
Attachment 170442

Next take the harness supplied by AIM.
On this harness you will strip and pin with Female molex connectors everything except pin 3 (VBEXT).

Next take the male half of the lead coming from the Kpro, make sure to orient the molex connector correctly so you can match up the wires.

The wires should be connected as such:

ECU Side AIM Side
GND GND
O (unused)
I+ (unused)
I- (unused)
RS232TX RS232RX (yes this is reversed)
RS232RX RS232TX (yes this is reversed)
CANL CANL
CANH CANH
ETH (unused)
VSS (unused)

Finally the VBext wire should go to 12V switched power. I used the softtop power lead on the passenger side. Doesnt matter where you get this as long as its 12v power. This will power and charge your solo. For this I soldered a extension and ran a wire to the passenger side behind the radio.

The end result should be something like this:
Attachment 170443

At this stage you should take a moment to cover up your wiring with some split flex or wire loom.

At this stage you can wire loom the accessory harness as well and I highly recommend you tape the sub harness to the main ECU connector (I had the subharness pull off the connecotr inside the ECU case a few times during the process which is why i started taping it.

You can see below my end result (this also has my analog sensor harness)
Attachment 170444

OK now we are ready to setup the Kpro:

For Serial:
You should use serial if you dont need anything beyond whats available in the normal hondata app for datalogging.

Kpro:
Open Kmanager and on the Multiplexer / Digital Output tab set Digital Output to "AIM MXL" as below:
Attachment 170445

RaceStudio2:
Create a new config for Hondata > Kpro as below:
Attachment 170446

For CANbus:
You should use CAN if you want to datalog all of the ECU vitals as well as analog channels (3rd party Oil pressure/temp/wideband/ethanol sensors).

Kpro:
Open Kmanager and on the Multiplexer / Digital Output tab set CAN output to Motec SDL/ADL as below:
Attachment 170447

After uploading this change you will NEED to shut the car down AND disconnect the USB cable before it will take effect.

RaceStudio2:
For this you will need a beta driver from AIM. Once you have this beta driver there will be a KPRO4_CAN option for a config. You can acquire this driver by emailing AIM support or PM me, but AIM's version will likely be newer.

The end result, I setup a page on my solo to act as auxiliary gauges in the pit or driving on the street
Attachment 170448

This project is still a bit of a work in progress but its for sure working so I wanted to document what I did for anyone that wants to follow in my footsteps.

Still outstanding: I have oil pressure and temp now being logged but the data doesnt yet display on the solo. Still working with AIM on this.

anorexicpoodle 05-23-2016 08:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
OK so here is the real reason i went through the hoops of getting CANBUS working on the Kpro4

Oil pressure and Oil temp logging!

Attachment 170440

So as of now AIM has worked out a driver that I have tested and have working recording oil pressure and temp in their native units.

While this is more k-pro centric ill put together what I did:

I ordered:
mishimoto sandwich adapter From amazon
A autometer pressure sender From amazon
A autometer temp sender From amazon
The autometer harness for the temp sender From amazon
The autometer harness for the pressure sender From amazon
A package of 1.5k ohm resistors
Another 12 pin molex connector
A vampire tap with spade connection (yech i know but necessary)

Built a sub-harness from the analog side of the kpro to a 12 pin molex connector (see the OTHER connector in the above picture of the ECU)

Make note

Oil pressure MUST go to the analog0 pin on the ECU
Oil temp MUST go to the analog1 pin on the ECU
The ECU driver from AIM is hard coded to do this translation on those inputs.

Locate a +5v sensor voltage source on the ECU (VCC3 is recommended). This is where you will use the vampire tap. Make a Y on the spade connector that connects to the vampire tap as this will feed BOTH of the sensors.

The Pressure sensor gets wired up per this diagram from Hondata to AN0 on the molex connector using the +5v from the above Y tap and the ground pin on the Kpro analog connector

The Temperature sensor gets wired up per this diagram from Hondata except that AN0 in the diagram is AN1 on the molex connector and +5v from the other leg of the above Y and use the Ground pin on the Kpro analog connector

For cleanliness I would join the grounds together on the sensor side of the molex connector and feed the +5v from the tap THROUGH one of the spare molex pins so you only need to disconnect the molex connector to get the whole thing out.

The harnesses provided by Autometer are EXACTLY long enough to come through the firewall where the rest of the harness does, and run around the firewall past the battery and meet the sandwich adapter.

If you want to attempt this feel free to PM me and i can provide my AIM driver or AIM support can.

f20kills 05-24-2016 07:04 AM

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Driven 05-24-2016 08:13 AM

Nice job! This makes me want to get a Solo DL now.

King Tut 05-31-2016 06:24 AM

I have yet to see what an AIM Solo DL hooked up to a 2006+ DBW car can produce.

anorexicpoodle 05-31-2016 11:14 AM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by King Tut (Post 23980770)

Here is what is available via generic OBD2 from an 06+
Attachment 170248

Here is what is available from the KPRO canbus feed (i have scrolled down so the built in channels are cut-off at the top but still there.
Attachment 170249

Im presently working with AIM on getting ECU definition files so it can log oil pressure and oil temp in native measurements and not just voltage (its logging now and the voltage is converted in Race Studio but I want native units).

anorexicpoodle 06-28-2016 06:56 PM

Post #2 updated with Oil pressure / Temp feeds now feeding the datalogger!

andrewhake 06-29-2016 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by King Tut (Post 23980770)

One of the nicest things about the Solo DL is that the analysis software isn't complete trash like so many of the other less expensive lap timers/loggers.

Awesome you got this working with KPro!

King Tut 06-30-2016 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by andrewhake (Post 24005751)

Originally Posted by King Tut' timestamp='1464704696' post='23980770

One of the nicest things about the Solo DL is that the analysis software isn't complete trash like so many of the other less expensive lap timers/loggers.

Awesome you got this working with KPro!

At $700 I would hope so. That's two track weekends with instruction that would make about 95% of the drivers on this site much faster than any possible data analysis they would get from an AIM Solo DL.

skatebrian624 07-01-2016 06:28 PM

This was an amazing writeup. You went above and beyond providing those links for us. Great job dude, after reading it I feel like I could almost do it.