S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Looking for an entry level race car

Old 05-09-2018, 01:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bullwings
street legal track car for sale - not built to any specific racing series rule book. i expect this to sell pretty fast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6juedQvG_kk
I'm a 47 year old white guy, am I even allowed to own a car with such a big wing?
Old 05-09-2018, 01:34 PM

street legal track car for sale - not built to any specific racing series rule book. i expect this to sell pretty fast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6juedQvG_kk
Sorry for the multiple replies, edit seems to be disabled for my account and I keep thinking of things to say. The car looks awesome at a good price considering what's been done to it but I'm probably going to try and find something closer. Maybe after a few months of searching I'll be kicking myself for not getting this one.
Old 05-09-2018, 02:07 PM

Received 193 Likes on 166 Posts

If you want to race:

a) Find out what club / organization you want to race with. Sometimes track dependent. SCCA, NASA for modern cars (I'm sure there are others), clubs for Historics and Vintage. I race vintage - think 1959.
b) Once you've identified a viable organization to run with, figure out what class you might want to run, then what cars are competitive in that class.
c) Find out what is needed to get a competition license. Everybody has their own rules. Follow the rules and get the license. Sometimes you can rent a race car (not inexpensive) for this purpose.
d) Do you want to be competitive, or are you happy mid pack or racing against yourself? Find a car and go racing.

My own 2 cents is that for a modern car, I would start with a Miata. It makes a very good race car, readily available and inexpensive (in the grand scheme of things), plenty of go fast parts. You can always move from there in a few years. The potential downside of racing a spec Miata is the constant trading paint. After the Miata, I would consider a BMW.

I'm not sure that an S2000 is the best platform for a race car. Of course, never having raced an S2000, what do I know? Others can correct me and provide first hand insight.
The following users liked this post:
msdunkel (05-10-2018)
Old 05-09-2018, 02:45 PM
Former Moderator

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Wheel-to-wheel racing requires a fully caged race car. If this is what you want to do then buy a used race car. It's cheaper to buy one than to transform a street car into a race car.

Actually, as mentioned above, renting a race car and getting your competition license is a good way to get your feet wet in wheel-to-wheel racing.

I would strongly recommend Spec Miata or the equivalent for the sanctioning body you will run with. If you want to keep it street legal (or close) then SSM Miata is a milder form of Miata racing. You can do track days and always find other Miatas to play with on the track. Consumables are as cheap as they come. I raced an S2000 and in hindsight I would go with Spec Miata if given a do-over.

If you just want to do casual track days a used S2000 with a roll bar can't be beat.
msdunkel (05-10-2018)
Old 05-09-2018, 03:13 PM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

OP, that's a track car, you could TT or DE it but no wheel to wheel racing in that, at least not with NASA.
Old 05-10-2018, 03:07 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by robrob
Wheel-to-wheel racing requires a fully caged race car. If this is what you want to do then buy a used race car. It's cheaper to buy one than to transform a street car into a race car.

Actually, as mentioned above, renting a race car and getting your competition license is a good way to get your feet wet in wheel-to-wheel racing.

I would strongly recommend Spec Miata or the equivalent for the sanctioning body you will run with. If you want to keep it street legal (or close) then SSM Miata is a milder form of Miata racing. You can do track days and always find other Miatas to play with on the track. Consumables are as cheap as they come. I raced an S2000 and in hindsight I would go with Spec Miata if given a do-over.

If you just want to do casual track days a used S2000 with a roll bar can't be beat.
this is spot on. If your end goal is wheel-to-wheel racing there is nothing more tragic than building a bithin’ race car then seeing the same 3-5 cars in your class at every event while classes like Spec Miata have 20 on a bad day, 60 on a good day. I too owned a caged s2000 and a motor swapped civic. My only regret is I didn’t drink the spec miata coolaid sooner.
msdunkel (05-10-2018)
Old 05-10-2018, 03:31 AM

Thanks guys, didn't think I'd come to an S2K board and get Miata recommendations! So would it be a correct summary to state that if I just want to stay casual and "race" for time or against myself at track days and autocross an S2000 would be a fine pick, but if I want to actually race against other competitors then a Miata is the way to go?
Old 05-10-2018, 04:12 AM

Received 193 Likes on 166 Posts

You have so very many options for both track days and racing. For track days, what car do you have in the garage? It might be more than sufficient.

In all honesty, I do track days in the S2000 more for the social aspects. Check the brakes and swap the pads and I'm done. I drive maybe 8/10, look at the scenery and listen to the birds.

The racing is more challenging, more expensive, more time consuming and more fun. I spent all winter working on the car! The funny thing is that I'm almost just as fast in the MGA as I am in the S2000.

Here is a motorsportsreg link to club events at Road Atlanta. https://www.motorsportreg.com/venues...a-braselton-ga

CHIN Motorsports has an event in a couple of weeks. In new England, CHIN is stock S2000 friendly, but I don't know if they offer instructors for novice. Go to the event and check it out. You can also find CHIN Motorsports website for more info.
Old 05-10-2018, 07:35 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by msdunkel
Thanks guys, didn't think I'd come to an S2K board and get Miata recommendations! So would it be a correct summary to state that if I just want to stay casual and "race" for time or against myself at track days and autocross an S2000 would be a fine pick, but if I want to actually race against other competitors then a Miata is the way to go?
again you need to look at the organization you would run with. Spec E30 (bmw) is also awesome. They too run a tight pack and trade paint. They usually have a field of 10-15 cars at regional races with NASA here in Florida. They run 2-3 seconds a lap faster than the spec Miatas.

If you are set on racing I agree with what others have said....rent a car and get your comp license. You will get exposure to the different cars in the paddock and the characters that run them. Is a large leap to go from lapping to racing regarding resources and time.

If you want to swap rires and pads on a street legal car and go to the track and have a great time hanging out and going fast....the s2000 would be a great choice.
Old 05-10-2018, 09:53 AM

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Come check out the NASA event at Road Atlanta in June and talk to racers and DE guys. Should be a good turnout for s2k's.

Quick Reply: Looking for an entry level race car