S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Looking for an entry level race car

Old 05-12-2018, 07:52 AM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Fighter pilots are cool. It was one of my childhood dreams never realized, lol.

AP1 = 2000-2003
AP2 = 2004-2005
AP2 (DBW) = 2006+

Honda started using a torque plate to bore/hone their S2000 engines when the 2.2L variant was introduced in 2004. There is significant statistical data that points to 2.2L engines having much fewer oil consumption complaints. This fact alone made me ignore any AP1 S2000s that were for sale when I was shopping a few years ago for a second hand one.

2004+ have stronger valve retainers, synchros, rear diff, front control arm brackets. So yeah, there is no logical reason to get an AP1 if you can afford an AP2. However, AP2 doesn't seem to have as much 'internet street-cred', since the rev limit was reduced and displacement increased.

2006+ can easily add 15-20 lbft of mid-range torque with just a catalytic converter delete and ECU reflash for about $700. The older ones require an ECU swap that is almost double the cost.
2006+ also don't have EGR and a secondary air pump.
However, they went to a returnless fuel system in 2006+ which makes upgrading beyond 400whp more costly.
The following users liked this post:
robrob (05-12-2018)
Old 05-13-2018, 04:23 AM

Received 1,130 Likes on 993 Posts

I think there's a fully prepped S2000 race car for sale here now.

-- Chuck
Old 05-13-2018, 07:07 PM

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by msdunkel
Thanks. Great info, especially regarding AP1 vs AP2. I'm looking for a cheap way to figure out if this is what I want to do with my spare time. I loved motorcycle track days but as I got older I got more and more worried about getting hurt and due to work I've moved away from all my motorcycling friends -- going to the track on a bike solo kind of sucks. I think this will stick but just in case it doesn't, I want to start cheap with a Honda instead of the Porsche. Assuming it sticks, I've got my eyes on a GT3 or perhaps I'll wait for the mid-engine ZR1 'vette . It would be good to learn to drive properly in something like the S2K before I got that much power under my butt.
While driving the S2K or cars in general with my friends is fun and entertaining, I get nearly nowhere near the joy I get riding motorcycles. Nothing like dragging pucks around the race track. You can slide a car, but you can't wheelie or track knee in a car. I totally hear you about the whole safety aspect, but dirt bikes and motorcycle racing absolutely cannot be equalled. I tried Miata racing and while this sort of came close, it was more like ninja 250 cup, nothing like the chaos of middleweights rubbing elbows.

Car guys don't take this wrong way, but because you can buy speed in cars, you still get a lot of ding bats that can make their way into the open passing/advanced group, whereas at motorcycle track days, you kind of have to earn your way into Group A riders and you won't stay there long if you are a danger to yourself or others - so it's almost like every time you go out there you have to re-earn your stripes.

A porsche cayman S 987.2 might start a little more, but it might end up being very similar in cost in the long run. The great part about either the S2000 AP2 DBW or a Cayman S 987.2 is that both will probably keep their value or go up in the long run provided you don't bin it. So if you do get bored you can exit really quick.

My basic S2000 track setup that would be decently fun while being able to return it stock and sell it would be:
06+
17x9 +60 Enkei PF01
255 Square Hankook RS4
Braided Brake Lines
Hawk HP+ or Black
Stock Rotors
Bride Seat Rail + Recaro RSG + seat belt extender
Torque RT700 Brake Fluid
Moroso Baffled Trap Door Pan insert for the stock Oil Pan

The Porsche 987.2 would be even easier:
Hawk HP+ or Black Brake Pads
Castrol SRF Brake Fluid
Bridgestone Stock sized RE71R
Recaro SPG + Bride Seat Rail + seat belt extender
Old 05-13-2018, 08:31 PM

Received 70 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by gptoyz
While driving the S2K or cars in general with my friends is fun and entertaining, I get nearly nowhere near the joy I get riding motorcycles. Nothing like dragging pucks around the race track. You can slide a car, but you can't wheelie or track knee in a car. I totally hear you about the whole safety aspect, but dirt bikes and motorcycle racing absolutely cannot be equalled. I tried Miata racing and while this sort of came close, it was more like ninja 250 cup, nothing like the chaos of middleweights rubbing elbows.

Car guys don't take this wrong way, but because you can buy speed in cars, you still get a lot of ding bats that can make their way into the open passing/advanced group, whereas at motorcycle track days, you kind of have to earn your way into Group A riders and you won't stay there long if you are a danger to yourself or others - so it's almost like every time you go out there you have to re-earn your stripes.

A porsche cayman S 987.2 might start a little more, but it might end up being very similar in cost in the long run. The great part about either the S2000 AP2 DBW or a Cayman S 987.2 is that both will probably keep their value or go up in the long run provided you don't bin it. So if you do get bored you can exit really quick.

My basic S2000 track setup that would be decently fun while being able to return it stock and sell it would be:
06+
17x9 +60 Enkei PF01
255 Square Hankook RS4
Braided Brake Lines
Hawk HP+ or Black
Stock Rotors
Bride Seat Rail + Recaro RSG + seat belt extender
Torque RT700 Brake Fluid
Moroso Baffled Trap Door Pan insert for the stock Oil Pan

The Porsche 987.2 would be even easier:
Hawk HP+ or Black Brake Pads
Castrol SRF Brake Fluid
Bridgestone Stock sized RE71R
Recaro SPG + Bride Seat Rail + seat belt extender
On the S2k you're going to need better pads than HP+ if you're reasonably fast. Mine's NA (prepped for STR) and I went from ~8mm to bare metal on my front HP+ pads in my first track day. Upgraded to G-Loc R10 front, R8 rear, and the next day the pad wear was barely noticeable. On the Cayman they might hold up better since you've got significantly more material in both pads and rotors, but I'd still go for a real track pad in a track car.
Old 05-14-2018, 01:09 PM

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Nate Tempest
On the S2k you're going to need better pads than HP+ if you're reasonably fast. Mine's NA (prepped for STR) and I went from ~8mm to bare metal on my front HP+ pads in my first track day. Upgraded to G-Loc R10 front, R8 rear, and the next day the pad wear was barely noticeable. On the Cayman they might hold up better since you've got significantly more material in both pads and rotors, but I'd still go for a real track pad in a track car.
OP said he's a beginner
Old 05-14-2018, 01:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by msdunkel
Hello, 1st post here. I'm looking for a hobby to kill some time and as a retired fighter pilot I always enjoyed activities where I was going fast. As far as cars go I'm a beginner. I've owned some fast cars and have a few laps at the Nordschleife but never did anything stateside or formal. I've also got many track days on a motorcycle under my belt as well as Keith Code's superbike school. I've got a Harley but haven't owned a sport bike in nearly a decade. I considered just buying a new liter class bike and starting that hobby back up but in my upper 40s parts don't heal the way they used to, and time off work due to too much exuberance at the track is something I'd prefer to avoid. Basically I'm a car beginner but not completely new to the track scene. The car I think I want is the S2000 and was hoping for some advice on what I should be looking for in a used car, perhaps specific model years or options that will make the transition to race car less expensive, and for that matter what type of racing I should be doing. Thanks for your time.
For hobby racing yes the s2000 is great! For competition racing it depends on so many factors. I would look for a 2003 ap1 it has all the bells and whistles and revs out to 9k which only ever brings a smile to your face. Race it as Is then upgrade what you want. I’d start with breaks suspension all around reinforcement and tires also invest in a roll bar or cage. Then if you wanna go faster supercharge it/ ITBs / turbo tons of options.