S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Looking for a High Performance Driving Course

Old 04-11-2019, 08:34 AM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck S
I've been looking for a high performance driving course I can take with my S2000. Still want to learn the car/tire limits without ending up in the trees.

Criteria:
Reasonable drive from Richmond.
Street oriented.
No roll bar requirement .

Anyone taken such a course? Mid-Ohio has (had?) one similar to this but that's an 1100 mile round trip and I'd like something closer. Not sure if they still permit the S2000 without an aftermarket roll bar. I have a current motorsports (not motorcycle) helmet if needed.

-- Chuck

https://summitpoint-raceway.com/prog...-at-the-track/

A good way to get your first hit off the pipe.
Old 04-11-2019, 09:39 AM
Site Moderator

Received 2,594 Likes on 1,907 Posts

Originally Posted by freq
https://summitpoint-raceway.com/prog...-at-the-track/

A good way to get your first hit off the pipe.
Perhaps not.

• Roll bars are mandatory for all convertibles. Removable Hard Tops are not approved for rollover protection. Retractible Hard Tops, Targa Tops, T-Tops and Sunroofs must remain in place while on track.
  • Functional factory or “pop-up” roll bars are acceptable such as Porsche Boxster or BMW Z3 with owners manual that confirms that they are “ROLLOVER PROTECTION” not “Style” bars. Honda S2000, Dodge Viper, Chevrolet Corvette, and Mazda MX5 convertibles and some other convertibles, not listed, are required to have an aftermarket ROLL Bar.
Old 04-11-2019, 09:42 AM

Received 1,193 Likes on 926 Posts

Originally Posted by sam_spider
Perhaps not.

They contradict their own rule then. The S2k has listed rollover protection from the factory which should make it fall under that part of their rule. SCCA has the same rule for TNiA and has been shown documentation that allows the S2k to participate without aftermarket roll bars.

Edit: Not sure since they say it has to be in the manual. I will have to look to see if that statement is in there. There used to be a link on one of the SCCA pages to the actual language from Honda, but when I tried that link now it goes to a main Honda page so I cant find it now.
Old 04-11-2019, 10:33 AM
Site Moderator

Originally Posted by engifineer
They contradict their own rule then. The S2k has listed rollover protection from the factory which should make it fall under that part of their rule. SCCA has the same rule for TNiA and has been shown documentation that allows the S2k to participate without aftermarket roll bars.

Edit: Not sure since they say it has to be in the manual. I will have to look to see if that statement is in there. There used to be a link on one of the SCCA pages to the actual language from Honda, but when I tried that link now it goes to a main Honda page so I cant find it now.
Agree, it's confusing. In the past the S2000 has always got a pass due to its roll hoops, but I've seen more and more tracks require roll bars. There should be some consistency on this.
Old 04-11-2019, 10:37 AM

Received 1,193 Likes on 926 Posts

Originally Posted by sam_spider
Agree, it's confusing. In the past the S2000 has always got a pass due to its roll hoops, but I've seen more and more tracks require roll bars. There should be some consistency on this.
I do agree though that if I were doing lots of serious track stuff I would put in a roll bar at minimum. But from a rules perspective it is confusing at a lot of venues.
Old 04-11-2019, 10:40 AM
Site Moderator

Originally Posted by engifineer
I do agree though that if I were doing lots of serious track stuff I would put in a roll bar at minimum. But from a rules perspective it is confusing at a lot of venues.
Sure, but running a couple HPDE's per year should be doable in a stock car. If it's deemed safe on the roads, it should be deemed safe on the track IMHO. We aren't talking about open passing and wheel to wheel at most HPDE events.