S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Lower vtec help improve lap times?

Old 06-25-2016, 05:39 AM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Lower vtec help improve lap times?

I am no pro driver so sometimes it is difficult to keep my f20c on the high cam. Certaint corners I have noticed I can go a little faster by getting into the high gear sooner. However there is a second or so where the engine falls off the high cam and then comes back on. For those that track n/a have you found it helps you to have the high cam come in sooner. Maybe around 5k??

I have the supporting bolt ons like 3.5 CAI and HFC. Otherwise it's pretty much stock.

In a world where it seems like everything else on the track has 400+ hp, an s2k on the high cam is like bringing a knife to a gun fight. On the low cam, it's like bringing a stick!!!
Old 06-25-2016, 07:38 AM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I was looking to get a vafc to lower voted but doesn't seem like many people do this. Not sure how much I need to spend in tuning

I know on a 06 with flash pro the power is nice everywhere.
Old 06-25-2016, 07:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It might be a hair faster, but even if it was, what would be the point? You're still going to be slower than a lot of cars on the track. And trust me, they won't notice or care that you are 0.5 seconds faster in your lap times. You also won't really get any personal satisfaction because you will not have improved as a driver. Since you're not racing competitively the actual lap time does not matter.

If you want some advice, focus not on what the other cars are doing, or what they might be thinking of you. Work on carrying more speed in the turns and work on your shift points so that you don't spend time out of VTEC. Your times will improve and you'll have the satisfaction of having done it through driver improvement, not car modification.
Old 06-25-2016, 08:22 AM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

There is obvious benefit to being in VTEC and having it come on sooner.

If you have the $$$ and resources to do this then by all means go ahead.

Are your brakes and tires up to the task? How about safety ie: harnesses, helmet, rollbar?

Maybe consider spending your $$ other places, if you haven't already.
Old 06-25-2016, 08:33 AM

Received 1,129 Likes on 992 Posts

My FlashPro Gernby tuned 2006 goes on the high cam at 3600 under WOT and it will stay there as long as the throttle stays near wide open and the rpms stay up. I'm not road reaching but on WOT acceleration the engine stays on the high cam throughout the gears. Since this is all done with electrons there are sure to be ECU settings that define VTEC off as well as on. Some percentage of load or pedal position. The AP1 ECU is not directly tuneable but there are daughter boards as well as complete direct swap ECUs.

Unless you dyno tune with several different exhaust diameters you're guessing at power and where it is; and if a 3.5" exhaust is doing anything more than adding noise. The (BAD)ASS2000 guys have some good AP1 data if you dig around their website. They're running a high flow cat and Tanabe Medalion Touring exhaust to meet local track noise limits. Their lap times around Toronto Motorsports are very impressive. Tires and knowing the course don't hurt either.

-- Chuck
Old 06-25-2016, 09:20 AM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

If you drive a tuned car with lower vtec it makes the car so much easier to drive.
Old 06-25-2016, 12:53 PM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck S
My FlashPro Gernby tuned 2006 goes on the high cam at 3600 under WOT and it will stay there as long as the throttle stays near wide open and the rpms stay up. I'm not road reaching but on WOT acceleration the engine stays on the high cam throughout the gears. Since this is all done with electrons there are sure to be ECU settings that define VTEC off as well as on. Some percentage of load or pedal position. The AP1 ECU is not directly tuneable but there are daughter boards as well as complete direct swap ECUs.

Unless you dyno tune with several different exhaust diameters you're guessing at power and where it is; and if a 3.5" exhaust is doing anything more than adding noise. The (BAD)ASS2000 guys have some good AP1 data if you dig around their website. They're running a high flow cat and Tanabe Medalion Touring exhaust to meet local track noise limits. Their lap times around Toronto Motorsports are very impressive. Tires and knowing the course don't hurt either.

-- Chuck
AEM infinity is where it's at...it's on my bucket list, but honestly the driver mod is the biggest (and most expensive) one to do
Old 06-26-2016, 05:11 AM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by boyguan
If you drive a tuned car with lower vtec it makes the car so much easier to drive.
Well I guess that's the goal. The s2k is very challenging and rewarding to drive fast. However, if the high cam came on a little sooner, I don't think it would reduce the rewards just make it a little easier to focus on other things. Again, depending on the track I am only falling off the cam for a second or so. Also, it may reduce the need to redline the engine, and give it a little break.

I wonder if the broader power band leads to actual gains, either subjective or objective.
Old 06-26-2016, 09:12 AM

Received 1,129 Likes on 992 Posts

More torque lower in the rpm band means more power there too. More power sooner means quicker acceleration which can easily improve your performance. Tuning, though, is more than just typing a lower number in the VTEC box in the tuning software. I leave that to experts.

-- Chuck
Old 06-26-2016, 10:13 AM

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts

The MY00-01 ECUs are alleged to have richer fuel maps and as such with bolts on and a VAFC to lower vtec crossover can benefit well. Other MY S2000 owners should save up for a tunable ECU. If using an 06+ just buy Flashpro and talk to Gernby for etuning.

I personally ran a MY01 in TTC trim with a vtec crossover of 4000rpm and that was my fastest setup for a long time.