S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Melting valve stem caps...

Old 02-06-2013, 01:21 PM

Received 96 Likes on 71 Posts
Default Melting valve stem caps...

This has been happening since I got my car, but after a day at Laguna Seca...

I feel like a solution for this is necessary.

Metal caps ok on normal valve stems? Metal valve stems on OEM wheels? No valve stem caps at the track? What do you think?
Old 02-06-2013, 01:26 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by andrewhake
This has been happening since I got my car, but after a day at Laguna Seca...

I feel like a solution for this is necessary.

Metal caps ok on normal valve stems? Metal valve stems on OEM wheels? No valve stem caps at the track? What do you think?
I check my tire pressure so much when I'm at the track or autocross that I just take them off when I check in the morning and keep them with my owners manual and all that other crap. It's nice because when I put them back on at the end of the day, it reminds me to fill my tires back up before I hit the highway.
Old 02-06-2013, 01:31 PM

Yeah I think that is my plan from now on. Is there any possible downside like damaging the valve stem or anything. I guess that little plastic cap isn't really protecting it from heat but maybe a bit from dirt or dust?
Old 02-06-2013, 01:48 PM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Just take them off. When you bleed air out, it self-cleans. If you're forcing air into the tire, a little bit of dirt doesn't do anything. If it's really dirty, blow on it.

Metal caps might work, but there's usually a little rubber gasket in them that could melt too.

I change tires so much (flipping, remounting, etc) that it never has been a problem at all.
Old 02-06-2013, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by CKit
Just take them off. When you bleed air out, it self-cleans. If you're forcing air into the tire, a little bit of dirt doesn't do anything. If it's really dirty, blow on it.

Metal caps might work, but there's usually a little rubber gasket in them that could melt too.

I change tires so much (flipping, remounting, etc) that it never has been a problem at all.
Yep good call. Thanks!
Old 02-06-2013, 01:51 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Most of the people I drive with do the same as me and I haven't heard any compelling arguments against it. Most of the time it takes more time to loosen the cap then it does to check and adjust the pressure, so you get a little more time to get around to all the tires before they cool too much.

I suppose you could get a small rock in the valve stem and if you didn't see it when you put the cap back on, the cap could push the rock into the release valve. And if you still didn't hear the air escaping and drove off, you would still have the TPMS to alert you before you lose too much air. I don't see any real risks there.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by odb812
Most of the people I drive with do the same as me and I haven't heard any compelling arguments against it. Most of the time it takes more time to loosen the cap then it does to check and adjust the pressure, so you get a little more time to get around to all the tires before they cool too much.

I suppose you could get a small rock in the valve stem and if you didn't see it when you put the cap back on, the cap could push the rock into the release valve. And if you still didn't hear the air escaping and drove off, you would still have the TPMS to alert you before you lose too much air. I don't see any real risks there.
This guy and his fancy TPMS

You are right though thanks.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:08 PM

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts

I just put these on my track wheels...

http://949racing.com/blackanodizedaluminumvalve.aspx
Old 02-06-2013, 04:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why have caps at all?
Old 02-21-2013, 08:19 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I keep my metal caps on for daily use to keep any debris from getting in the value and causing issues later. If you get rock or other debris in there, hopefully it will get fully injected into the tire when you put air in, otherwise it might get jammed in the value and cause a slow leak.

At the track and autox, I take them off. That being said, I have tracked with them on and never melted the rubber o-ring inside.

Quick Reply: Melting valve stem caps...