S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Minimum setup for sub 2 lap at BW 13CW

Old 02-09-2018, 05:16 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I just don't understand why so many people complain about using race tires on a race track it seems. I understand starting out learning to drive on street tires but eventually you need to ditch the training wheels and get some real rubber. Street tires at a race track is like drinking water at a bar or buying a hooker to just talk to... you can source race tires from a number of places like race teams that use a set for qualify or testing but dump them after just a couple of heat cycles. yes they aren't optimal but guess what... they will he a hell of a lot faster than any of the street tires and typically at a significantly less price. but maybe its cool to also say i have the "unofficial s2000 track record on 200tw tires with a wing and coils under 1500 but no splitter but with canards"
The following users liked this post:
s2000ellier (02-09-2018)
Old 02-09-2018, 05:38 AM

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by t-o_double_d
but maybe its cool to also say i have the "unofficial s2000 track record on 200tw tires with a wing and coils under 1500 but no splitter but with canards"
The following users liked this post:
Chibo (02-09-2018)
Old 02-09-2018, 05:38 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by f20kills
This just me but I would never buy used race tires. Heat cycles can kill a tire and still have tons of tread left.
My TDs are a great example lol tons of tread but the tires are like driving on ice :P Heat cycled out.
Hoosiers don't HC out like that. ~40 HC's should be close to the end of their life and starting to show cords. They do get slower as the cycles increase but they wont be rocks with tons of tread left, unless you don't take care of the tires properly.
Old 02-09-2018, 05:56 AM

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by f20kills
This just me but I would never buy used race tires. Heat cycles can kill a tire and still have tons of tread left.
My TDs are a great example lol tons of tread but the tires are like driving on ice :P Heat cycled out.
I've won many events on Ebay used Hoosiers for $200 for a set and turning one lap per day at a nasa event. Far cheaper then buying a set of Street tires. I like Todd don't get the resistance to buy real tires for driving on a track. Back before I had a truck and trailer and was in college, I got 4 hoosiers, Jack and tools in my S2000 to drive to events and I stored the tires under my bed in my college dorm (I built a platform to hold two tires ontop of the trunk cause I also didnt have a silly wing). This whole 200 TW thing that's taken over (and has now infiltrated SCCA) is some sort of hippie crowd of slow guys that can't figure out how to drive on hoosiers. Here is your "street tire" now everyone gets a participation trophy.

Last edited by Mrsideways; 02-09-2018 at 06:09 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Mrsideways:
Chibo (02-09-2018), s2000ellier (02-09-2018), slowd16 (02-09-2018)
Old 02-09-2018, 05:59 AM

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Also, on that note. Support America. Buy an American Made Tire from an American Company.... hoosier.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mrsideways:
Chibo (02-09-2018), s2000ellier (02-09-2018)
Old 02-09-2018, 12:45 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Just my preference but I would never buy Used raced tires...can you..sure. But I don’t trust people I don’t know and last thing I want are HC out tires or not properly stored/taken care of tires from eBay. That was my point. I can sell my TDs and lie and say “Used only one day” .... I’ll cheap out on other things but my preference is not on tires lol

If you’re looking to do sub 2 at Buttonwillow all you need are decent tires, decent coilovers, brake pads, and rims to fit 255 tires.
Old 02-09-2018, 12:53 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

But street tires are big out here in CA..not because they can’t drive on Hoosiers. It’s just more practical for the events we run. I personally do not run on street tires. We don’t get free tires like NASA which is a big part of why people run on Hoosiers.

Btw.:.i wouldn’t buy Used street tires either lol
Old 02-09-2018, 02:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would try Hoosiers if I had a truck and a trailer.

Since most people drive to/back from the track they can't just run Hoosiers in CA.

Honestly the real "minimum" setup for Sub 2 would be squared setup Hoosiers with wheels and decent brakes, coilovers.
Old 02-09-2018, 03:53 PM

Received 559 Likes on 391 Posts

Most people in SoCal drive to the track in their car, run the event, and drive back.

For me it's a 340 mile+ round trip with 4 20-25 minute hotlap sessions.

I don't run with NASA or SCCA. I just do a local company that organizes and hosts the events. They do amateur 1-make series (or similar makes - i.e. HFF - honda fwd or Bimmer Challenge) time attack events. There are enough tracks in a 170 mile radius (5, not including CW and CCW variations, as well as other tracks like Buttonwillow with multiple layouts) of SoCal to make running a series without the need of a truck and trailer possible and still have track variation between events.

The rule sets are generally tailored for having fun and keeping running costs lower. No one is paying us to do this, and there really isn't a tire contingency program. We don't need to make it even more cost prohibitive by getting people to run purple crack that will last 2 events if they drive to and from the track in their vehicles. That's 4 sets of tires if you want to run the season, or you pick up a truck and trailer. Both of those would increase the barrier to entry (play) significantly and lower turn out, and you wonder why some NASA classes are ghost town events... For the amateur events here, 2 sets of tires a season is competitive.

It's all in good fun with a bit of dick swinging here and there. We don't need to start swinging our pockets and checkbooks around too. Most everyone doing this has a normal day job.
Old 02-10-2018, 02:10 PM

Received 123 Likes on 98 Posts

NASA is more empty in my area because people either don't want to build cars to a more restrictive classing rulebook or don't want to have safety rules / equipment enforced. They've added a time attack group recently that classes based on HP/weight with a 100TW lower bound, which seems to be attracting a lot more people than the restrictive TT classing.

Also, you Cali guys have the Maxxis S2K Challenge for tire money. I'd run every event, but I don't want to budget for the distance further than Chuckwalla as it pretty much necessitates trailering.

Quick Reply: Minimum setup for sub 2 lap at BW 13CW