S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Minimum setup for sub 2 lap at BW 13CW

Old 02-01-2018, 08:38 AM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by Ricky_Flowers_
Ameer did this a few years ago. He did it with I/H/E, KW Clubsports, flashpro, 17x9.5 CE28s, 245 RS3s, and no aero.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvadIfzK9UU
Some good driving there, but terrible choice in wardrobe. God I cringe every time he takes his hands off the wheel to pull up his sleeves.
Old 02-02-2018, 08:31 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RogueMotorsports
This is on a 6k prototype suspension, also Rob has broken records and set the bar at buttonwillow. That's like a pro sports team going to play against a high school variety team. It's just not fair
Yes that may be an expensive suspension (although you are wrong, that suspension is on the cheapest end of JRZ lineup and it doesn't cost anywhere close to 6k)
my point is driver is all that matters the most.

I've seen many people with lots of money invested into their S2k and yet they can't break sub 2 at Buttonwillow.

You need to learn the car itself how it behaves to know the characteristics before modding and changing the characteristics of the car even before you're capable of handling those changes.

Like Chris said few posts above... it doesn't take much to hit sub 2 at Buttonwillow anymore.

Invest money in more track days than mods.
Old 02-02-2018, 09:09 AM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

^^ Exactly

Sub 50 is the new new NA now lol Thats my goal :P
Old 02-02-2018, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by f20kills
^^ Exactly

Sub 50 is the new new NA now lol Thats my goal :P
lol man raising the bar like that!

wonder if sub 50 would be easily doable with the pirelli scrubs those bimmer challenge guys are running.
Old 02-02-2018, 09:57 AM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

lol trying to

Im really curious what I can do on Hoosiers. Nobody runs them out here on an s2000 lol
Id need to shed at least another 200lbs off the car. NASA I have to be at @2800lbs. With 245/40/17 Z214s my car is a consistent 1:53:5xx at BW CW13. I really think my car is capable of sub :50...maybe not me lol

But to keep things in perspective, good coilover, inexpensive 17x9.5 rim, and good tires are all you really need for "sub 2" But that does take a good driver. If OP isn't at that level, then more MODs will help you get there. BIG front and rear areo, coilovers and VERY sticky tires min.
Old 02-02-2018, 11:48 AM
Sponsor

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by helothere
Yes that may be an expensive suspension (although you are wrong, that suspension is on the cheapest end of JRZ lineup and it doesn't cost anywhere close to 6k)
my point is driver is all that matters the most.

I've seen many people with lots of money invested into their S2k and yet they can't break sub 2 at Buttonwillow.

You need to learn the car itself how it behaves to know the characteristics before modding and changing the characteristics of the car even before you're capable of handling those changes.

Like Chris said few posts above... it doesn't take much to hit sub 2 at Buttonwillow anymore.

Invest money in more track days than mods.
Pardon me, not exactly 6k but the RS two way adjustable set up the way Rob was running them will run roughly 5-5500 with top hats/springs/helper springs. I couldn't agree with you more on the driver mod, I've seen full race s2000 on slicks barely crack 58s
Old 02-02-2018, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by f20kills
lol trying to

Im really curious what I can do on Hoosiers. Nobody runs them out here on an s2000 lol
Id need to shed at least another 200lbs off the car. NASA I have to be at @2800lbs. With 245/40/17 Z214s my car is a consistent 1:53:5xx at BW CW13. I really think my car is capable of sub :50...maybe not me lol

But to keep things in perspective, good coilover, inexpensive 17x9.5 rim, and good tires are all you really need for "sub 2" But that does take a good driver. If OP isn't at that level, then more MODs will help you get there. BIG front and rear areo, coilovers and VERY sticky tires min.
I am really curious about how much time I can shave off with Hoosiers too. Everyone wants to stay in their class (including myself) so hoosier is out lol
Aren't you already at 2800 ish with you inside?

I need more power, turns out I had lowest HP/TQ figure from Mod class cars besides Richard's AP1...

I really would like to see you turn sub 50 for sure haha keep up the good work!

Agree on your take on coilover 9.5width wheel and good tire for bare minimum of Sub 2 hunt.

OP, you can also invest in a data logger and analyze / compare your data with other s2k drivers doing sub 2 and see where you can improve as well.... aside from mods that will help you down the road a lot too.

Originally Posted by RogueMotorsports
Pardon me, not exactly 6k but the RS two way adjustable set up the way Rob was running them will run roughly 5-5500 with top hats/springs/helper springs. I couldn't agree with you more on the driver mod, I've seen full race s2000 on slicks barely crack 58s

I stand corrected.
I did check the price yes it is around that range but his is regular RS with no remote canister, I'm not sure how good it is compared to RS Pro 2 way which I have.
Nontheless his driving makes up for the setup and even with lesser coilovers he would've done similar times.

In the end, it all comes down to the driver and we agree on that point
Old 02-02-2018, 04:54 PM

Received 123 Likes on 98 Posts

You can take a well setup shock and basically use a non-adjustable Bilstein to build a replica valving wise using off the shelf shims/valves. Most people aren't messing with their clickers anyway.
Old 02-02-2018, 08:56 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How about weight?

Anyone have an idea how much time is shaved off from weight reduction?
Old 02-03-2018, 09:22 PM

Received 559 Likes on 391 Posts

Originally Posted by Chibo
You can take a well setup shock and basically use a non-adjustable Bilstein to build a replica valving wise using off the shelf shims/valves. Most people aren't messing with their clickers anyway.
This. I had a set of Bilstein PSS built to match a Penske 8300. It's probably 90-95% as fast in 90-95% of the conditions encountered. Is there more time to be had with a double or triple adjustable shock? Sure. But, I'd venture to say that there's a crap ton more time to be lost if you have no clue wtf you're doing turning those knobs...

Quick Reply: Minimum setup for sub 2 lap at BW 13CW