S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Mishimoto Oil Cooler

Old 12-28-2014, 05:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mishimoto Oil Cooler

I am making some changes this off season, one of them being adding a Canton oil pan. From what I have read on here it is likely to not help temps, and could possibly increase temps some. I track in the PNW, with temperatures at the warmest track I run usually in the low 80s on a warm day. A 90 degree day would be a very warm track day here and I usually avoid those. I have a Oil temp/pressure gauge to install with the pan, and will see what temps are like before I add a cooler, but I am thinking I will need one. Car is a an '03 with minor power mods, no plans for forced induction in the future. 115k on the original engine, I have ran about twenty 20 minute sessions on it since buying the car with 93k miles. Runs really strong and want to protect it as long as possible.

Anyone running this kit? (link below for reference). I like that it is a complete kit and install looks pretty straight forward. I store the car in my parents shop as I don't have room for it where I live, and something that will bolt on quickly and relatively easily is a plus, as I don't have a ton of time to work on the car and its about 3 hours from me. My mechanical skill is okay at best, and fabricating brackets for some sort of custom kit is not something I have super excited about.

I have read some reviews on their kits for other cars, and have seen mixed reviews in terms of quality. I would run it with the thermostat, as I do drive the car some in cold weather. Appreciate any insight on the subject!

http://moddiction.com/mishimoto/mish...i-1768958.aspx
Old 12-28-2014, 05:54 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you are not boosted I see no need for an oil cooler. Especially with living in cool climate(Have no clue what PNW means, lol). Get an oil temp. probe and gauge to see if you really need it.
Old 12-28-2014, 06:12 PM

Received 177 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by DaGou
If you are not boosted I see no need for an oil cooler. Especially with living in cool climate(Have no clue what PNW means, lol). Get an oil temp. probe and gauge to see if you really need it.
An oil cooler is a good idea if you track the car, especially w/ a canton pan. I can't comment on the quality of the Mishimoto oil cooler though.. I know people that use them and they seem to work alright..?
Old 12-28-2014, 06:29 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SlowTeg
Originally Posted by DaGou' timestamp='1419821647' post='23449776
An oil cooler is a good idea if you track the car, especially w/ a canton pan. I can't comment on the quality of the Mishimoto oil cooler though.. I know people that use them and they seem to work alright..?

need and want......
Old 12-28-2014, 06:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will definitely monitor temps on the first track day this year and see where it is at. The season is fairly short here and if I need one I just wanted to be able to pull the trigger on one quickly. Hopefully someone who has used it can comment on the quality.

BTW PNW is pacific north west, its probably not commonly heard outside this area haha
Old 12-28-2014, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by DaGou
need and want......
According to my logs it's a need. I've posted my findings in other threads and it's nothing new. An oil cooler is a good idea on an N/A s2k if you're turning half decent lap times. I saw 270 on a 50 degree ambient day which means likely 290+ on a 90 degree day w/o an oil cooler.
Old 12-28-2014, 07:43 PM

Received 1,247 Likes on 944 Posts

My friend has a Mishimoto thermostatic kit. You should for sure get a 200 degree F thermostatic kit if this is a street driven track car.

His kit went together in a straightforward manner. He's mechanically inclined...but a self-admitted cave man....and he said it was very simple to put together. The hose routing in their instructions seems kind of...dumb. But I'm sure you can figure out a better way to route hoses.

I made my own kit using a guide on Rob Robinette's site for parts. The difference in mine is that I did not want to block off more air flow to my radiator. So I used the bumper cavity underneath the right side headlight. I used a carbon fiber duct to guide air to it. Ofcourse, you have to cut the bumper and custom make brackets (I made mine out of aluminum and it took forever to get the cooler to align to the bumper the way I wanted). I used a setrab cooler and custom lines, which are very short...which is a good thing. I think I only needed about 1.5 or 2ft of line on each port.

I love my kit and the way it has no compromises. I used black, Kevlar hoses that don't cut through stuff or stick out like stainless hoses. I routed my hoses mad stealth mode. I think it came out great...but its semi-complex, extremely time consuming, and you have to cut your bumper. I will also have to heat shield the bottom of the headlight ballast. I'm sure it would be fine as is...and there's about a 1.5'' air gap. But if we're being safe, heat shielding it is a good idea.

However, to answer your question, the Mishimoto looks like a very nice kit. I don't like the hose routing or the fact that stainless braided hoses that are non-sheathed.

Either way, the cooler is an excellent idea. I noted much more consistent power delivery on the race track.
Old 12-29-2014, 08:11 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SlowTeg
Originally Posted by DaGou' timestamp='1419823785' post='23449796
need and want......
According to my logs it's a need. I've posted my findings in other threads and it's nothing new. An oil cooler is a good idea on an N/A s2k if you're turning half decent lap times. I saw 270 on a 50 degree ambient day which means likely 290+ on a 90 degree day w/o an oil cooler.
+1

I ran an event on the 20-21st of this month. Ambient was 50's and overcast (College Station, TX). I read temps in the oil pan and during the HPDE sessions was regularly seeing 260-265 deg temps with no oil cooler.
Old 12-29-2014, 09:35 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

What is the ideal oil temps for an s2000?
Old 12-29-2014, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by usafstud
What is the ideal oil temps for an s2000?
Ideal? I'd say between 220-250 on track. I'm no expert, this is just from various interweb discussions.

Yes, some people SAY a good synthetic can be ok to 300F, but the actual mfrs say the 260 range is the max they consider "safe."

Quick Reply: Mishimoto Oil Cooler