S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Moroso weld in baffle with trap door - anyone used it?

Old 01-19-2014, 02:35 PM

Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts
Default Moroso weld in baffle with trap door - anyone used it?

Has anyone used this? what do you think?

I like the idea of putting this into an OEM pan vs the canon pan, sinc I found complaints about canton pans being hard to seal (for various other domestic and import cars)

http://www.moroso.com/catalog/catego...?catcode=13040
Old 01-19-2014, 02:44 PM

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts

i think the issues people will raise are welding aluminum from two different sources of material and second, the trap door falls of and blocks the pickup
Old 01-19-2014, 03:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How do the trap doors fall off?
Old 01-19-2014, 04:00 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by afzan
sinc I found complaints about canton pans being hard to seal (for various other domestic and import cars)
Details?
Old 01-19-2014, 04:04 PM

Due to the welding process. Warps the flange. Never seals correctly.
Old 01-19-2014, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by s2000ellier
i think the issues people will raise are welding aluminum from two different sources of material and second, the trap door falls of and blocks the pickup
Did this happen to your car or is there a specific example you can point to?

The only failures I could find were of the TC Designs baffles, which was a different design compared to the moroso (multiple pieces of metal were welded to the bottom of the pan) and it was one of the actual baffle pieces that broke into pieces failed NOT the trap door.
Old 01-19-2014, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by turbo8765
Originally Posted by afzan' timestamp='1390174537' post='22973215
sinc I found complaints about canton pans being hard to seal (for various other domestic and import cars)
Details?
Google "canton oil pan leaking" you'll get results on various forums for mustang, corvette, camaro, Honda b series, etc
Old 01-19-2014, 07:23 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Very cool! I had not seen this before but I would be willing to try it.
Old 01-19-2014, 07:38 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Yep, I'm very much liking this solution. Affordable too.

When you researched the leaking Canton pans, did you pay attention to the block material of the engines they were installed on? Leaks have known to develop between engine parts of dissimilar material, especially in a gasketless design (F series engines). I would never install a stainless steel oil pain on an a modern aluminum block, especially the F series. Reasons being, 1) the thermal expansion delta of steel vs. aluminum, and 2) the Canton pan's wall thickness (thin when compared to the oem pan, which is a structural piece).
Old 01-19-2014, 07:53 PM

the moroso weld-in baffle is a great piece. i bought mine back in 2010 i believe. has treated me well. the welding is not an issue and the trap doors are not an issue. the oem pan with this baffle is now on my back up engine beings i had a kevko oil pan made for the car earlier last year. endyn is the shop that actually designed the weld in baffle with the backing of moroso. beings the s2k is a front sump, anything is better than nothing. pm me if youd like some pictures of it installed.

about the aftermarket oil pans leaking, its mainly due to the welding process. i had a moroso aluminum pan on my b-series (which has the same design as this baffle) and never had a problem, although others have had it not seal due to a warped flange. i have a canton steel pan on my ls9 engine and it leaked at first in one corner. i decked it just a tad and have not had one issue with that.

in my opinion, every single aftermarket pan is a hit or miss on whether it will seal or not just because of the thin flange and welding process. and again, welding in this baffle shouldn't be an issue for a welder. every thread states the trap doors fall apart. if anyone has a link, i hope they post it.

Quick Reply: Moroso weld in baffle with trap door - anyone used it?