S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Moroso Weld-In Oil Pan Baffle P/N 23040

Old 02-03-2018, 06:58 AM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts
Exclamation Moroso Weld-In Oil Pan Baffle P/N 23040

Just a few pics and thoughts on my experience with the Moroso Oil Pan Baffle.

I bought a spare OEM oil pan from a friend who bought a BlackTrax oil pan w/ baffle. Got the pan and cleaned it well, even tried burning out some of the residual oil with a torch to promote a good weld. Once I got the Moroso baffle in hand I decided a test fit was in order. That's when I found that the trap door at the front left of the pan wouldn't open as it hit the reinforcement where the A/C compressor mounted. I sent the attached pics to Moroso Tech Support who offered to trim the door for me if I shipped it back to them or advised that I could trim the door for myself. I opted for the latter as the aluminum cut rather easy and to move along my install.

I called a good friend who is a welder for a Fortune 500 company and asked him for recommendations for someone who knew how to weld aluminum. He said he had a coworker that really knew his stuff AND had the right equipment. That's all I needed to hear.

My guys heated the pan and baffle in their oven at work, TIG'd the two together then let it cool. I'm told if it was gonna crack it would have already.

Using Chew Works video as a guide I asked them to weld the baffle at 4 locations, 3 of which are pictured below.

Install later when I get some motivation and the garage warms up.

This post was meant as a "heads-up" to check the fitment and operation of the trap doors before welding in your Moroso Oil Pan Baffle.
The following 2 users liked this post by freq:
Kenny_Stang (02-06-2018), robrob (03-08-2018)
Old 02-11-2018, 12:15 AM

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Nice work!
Old 02-15-2018, 04:52 PM

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

I wonder if this is a one-time mis-fit or did if affect other installations? Can anyone with experience with the Moroso oil pan baffle chim in? Thanks.
Old 02-15-2018, 05:35 PM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by AZS2KDancer
I wonder if this is a one-time mis-fit or did if affect other installations? Can anyone with experience with the Moroso oil pan baffle chim in? Thanks.
It looks like the trap door may be a bit larger than the recommended spec, which is causing it to hit that spot in the pan. Removing a small amount of material should allow that to clear. If you would like to have us take care of that, it wouldn't be an issue.

Brett Corriveau
Sales Support Technician
Moroso Performance Products
80 Carter Drive
Guilford, CT 06437
If Brett knew something, he didn't pass it along ......
Old 02-16-2018, 05:19 AM

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by freq
If Brett knew something, he didn't pass it along ......
mine also had to be trimmed, and it cracked after 3 years. i'd recommend replacing them on a bi yearly basis. I want to say it lasted 60K and 3 years.
Old 02-17-2018, 03:28 AM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by SmokeyGatto
mine also had to be trimmed, and it cracked after 3 years. i'd recommend replacing them on a bi yearly basis. I want to say it lasted 60K and 3 years.
I didn't notice any issues with my baffle when it was done two years ago but I also wasn't expecting issues out of the box. I was definitely not expecting my baffle to be a wear item. HyTech does state that they will not weld in baffles due to eventual fatigue and failure of the welds.

Old 02-17-2018, 04:42 AM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by SmokeyGatto
Moroso welds cracked or your install welds cracked?
Old 02-22-2018, 12:27 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I put a Moroso baffle in about 2-3 years ago. It did not have a clearance issue.

As long as the pan does not leak, it there a problem with cracked welds?
Old 03-08-2018, 05:13 AM
Community Organizer

Received 125 Likes on 85 Posts

I installed one of these last year and i'm happy with it. I didn't have any clearance issues with mine. I previously had a canton pan but got rid of it because those things are still leaking due to warped mounting surface. The best thing you can do to prevent welds cracking from installation of a weld in baffle is to preheat, it's mentioned in the install instructions as well.

Last edited by jsenclosure; 03-08-2018 at 05:19 AM.
Old 03-08-2018, 09:03 AM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by beechx1
I put a Moroso baffle in about 2-3 years ago. It did not have a clearance issue.

As long as the pan does not leak, it there a problem with cracked welds?
yes the weld sometimes falls off and ends up blocking the oil pump. There have been a couple engines damaged due to this.

Quick Reply: Moroso Weld-In Oil Pan Baffle P/N 23040