S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Moroso Weld-In Oil Pan Baffle P/N 23040

Old 03-08-2018, 12:16 PM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by bgoetz

yes the weld sometimes falls off and ends up blocking the oil pump. There have been a couple engines damaged due to this.
TC Designs? had a couple of failures back in the day, I haven't heard of any recently with other baffles.

Last edited by freq; 03-08-2018 at 12:22 PM.
Old 03-08-2018, 06:17 PM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by freq
TC Designs? had a couple of failures back in the day, I haven't heard of any recently with other baffles.
I recall someone welding in one of the baffle plate designs and their welds pretty much came loose. I don’t think it was a reflection of the plate itself just how difficult welding to a pan can be especially if it has seen oil.
Old 04-19-2018, 07:00 PM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by jsenclosure
I installed one of these last year and i'm happy with it. I didn't have any clearance issues with mine. I previously had a canton pan but got rid of it because those things are still leaking due to warped mounting surface. The best thing you can do to prevent welds cracking from installation of a weld in baffle is to preheat, it's mentioned in the install instructions as well.
For what it's worth, from what I understand, the first production run did have a number of pans that seeped oil. Although the number of pans that did was only about 5% of the total. Subsequent runs have been fine as far as I know.
Old 04-19-2018, 07:07 PM

Just to clarify....TC Designs is the only company I can remember that made a weld-in baffle. Only one failed (a weld broke and a piece of the metal blocked the oil pump). They didn't sell many at all, but decided to stop making them to avoid any potential reliability. (Note: Freq has kindly produced a link to a thread that indicates there were two, not just one, TC Design baffles that failed).

Moroso announced a weld-in baffle plate quite a few years back, but didn't actually produce and sell it then. But, as Canton was designing and making their pan, Moroso quickly started production of its product.

Note: bold and italics added to attempt to make clear that Moroso did, in fact, produce their weld in baffle.
Old 04-20-2018, 02:58 AM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by davidc1
Just to keep the facts straight....TC Designs is the only company I can remember that made a weld-in baffle. Only one failed (a weld broke and a piece of the metal blocked the oil pump). They didn't sell many at all, but decided to stop making them to avoid any potential reliability.

Moroso announced a weld-in baffle plate quite a few years back, but never actually produced and sold it. But, as Canton was designing and making their pan, Moroso quickly started production of its product.
Facts? Pretty sure it was more than 1 motor that was lost due to the TC Design. I know one owner personally who lost their motor. SCHIghlander was another IIRC.

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-ra...e-read-527198/

As for Moroso, they are STILL selling the weld in baffle.That's what this whole thread is about. DId Canton ever make a weld in baffle, I don't think so. Did Moroso ever copy Canton and make a replacement pan, I dont think so.

Are you drunk?

Last edited by freq; 04-20-2018 at 03:15 AM.
Old 04-20-2018, 05:19 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah I've had the moroso weld in baffle for 2 years now I think, not sure what davidc1 is talking about. I know I even posted pictures here in a thread somewhere.
Old 04-20-2018, 08:10 AM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I bought my Moroso pan in Nov and welded it in Dec. Idk what you mean by them never producing or selling it davidc1.
Old 04-21-2018, 05:55 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by davidc1
For what it's worth, from what I understand, the first production run did have a number of pans that seeped oil. Although the number of pans that did was only about 5% of the total. Subsequent runs have been fine as far as I know.
For what it's worth, this is another false statement from davidc1. I purchased a Canton pan last year that had a super warped flange. The flange also had very little sealing surface area so after I spent the time machining the flange flat, it still leaked. I chucked the POS Canton pan in the garbage, bought a blacktrax pan, and haven't had any issues since.
Old 04-21-2018, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by freq
Facts? Pretty sure it was more than 1 motor that was lost due to the TC Design. I know one owner personally who lost their motor. SCHIghlander was another IIRC.

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-ra...e-read-527198/

As for Moroso, they are STILL selling the weld in baffle.That's what this whole thread is about. DId Canton ever make a weld in baffle, I don't think so. Did Moroso ever copy Canton and make a replacement pan, I dont think so.

Are you drunk?
Bad day Freq? Reading issues?

So, gee, there was a post by TCDesigns, 11 years ago, with a full 6 posts spaning 16 hours. I'm so sorry I missed it! But I guess you were correct Freq 'cause you said "a couple". So sorry...

Also, I never said Moroso wasn't making their baffle anymore, I never said Canton made a weld in baffle, and I never said Moroso made a pan. So, what's your issue?

Moroso produced a prototype quite a few years ago, applied a P/N, produced some advertising, but as far as I know, didn't start making it until a couple years ago.
Old 04-21-2018, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by devildust
Yeah I've had the moroso weld in baffle for 2 years now I think, not sure what davidc1 is talking about. I know I even posted pictures here in a thread somewhere.

Hey Devildust, sorry I wasn't clear. I said they produced designs for it quite a few years ago, but didn't actually start making it until a few years ago. There was a big gap between originally announcing it, and actually making it. My guess (but who knows other than Moroso) is that they decided the market wasn't there, or what happed with TC Designs made them choose not to make it for a while.

BTW, thanks for being civil.

Quick Reply: Moroso Weld-In Oil Pan Baffle P/N 23040