S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

My BS scca prep and build

Old 03-25-2019, 03:11 PM

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by ncrx
good chance no, but definitely out gunned in bs.
Maybe the new Miatas will be so much faster they move them to B/S
Old 03-26-2019, 10:48 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Just show USPS drop my coolant off on my nest hopefully I'll time to do it today. I'll pick up some distilled water to flush it out before pouring in the new coolant.
Old 03-26-2019, 03:45 PM
Jub

Received 384 Likes on 308 Posts

From what I've seen, I don't think Koni yellows are a particularly fruitful mod. The only exception here is if they are revalved really well or your stock shocks are worn out. I see it says on the way but I would not spend money on those. I think it is applied better in other places. Maintenance is def the way to start off and a Karcepts front sway bar. I ran BS last year and will be CS this year. I run 245s in the front with 255s in the rear on a stock 06 with a Karcepts bar. Car is really fun and the bar lets me adjust from understeer to oversteer pretty easily.
Old 03-26-2019, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by Jub
From what I've seen, I don't think Koni yellows are a particularly fruitful mod. The only exception here is if they are revalved really well or your stock shocks are worn out. I see it says on the way but I would not spend money on those. I think it is applied better in other places. Maintenance is def the way to start off and a Karcepts front sway bar. I ran BS last year and will be CS this year. I run 245s in the front with 255s in the rear on a stock 06 with a Karcepts bar. Car is really fun and the bar lets me adjust from understeer to oversteer pretty easily.
Are you running square wheel set up 17x8.5? Is that legal in CS?

My FL RL shocks are showing signs of failure, both are bit wet. If I don't like the setup I'll get them re valved, hopefully won't cost me arm and leg. Also does re valving void lifetime warranty?
I see everyone is going with Karcepts sway bar is it that good?
Old 03-26-2019, 05:45 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LP-S2000
Yes...

I 14th the Karcepts option. I have the .25 hollow, but I have coilovers. So dependent on your ultimate goal, you can decide which bar you want. They have 6 holes on each side and you can make half steps with the bar as well. Gives you a ton of ability to tune to your liking. I can adjust it and tell the difference from one step to the next. I do have a square setup and don't know exactly how I would like just a front bar without being able to tune the rear at all. I run in STR, so that allowed me to tune rear suspension as well.
Old 03-26-2019, 07:02 PM
Jub

Received 384 Likes on 308 Posts

Are you running square wheel set up 17x8.5? Is that legal in CS?

My FL RL shocks are showing signs of failure, both are bit wet. If I don't like the setup I'll get them re valved, hopefully won't cost me arm and leg. Also does re valving void lifetime warranty?
The rule is wheels must be same width as stock, + or - 1 diameter allowance, and + or - 5 mm offset I believe. So no, 245/255 on stock size AP2 wheels.

I cannot comment on Koni warranty.

As for Karcepts, I believe Ankney and Gendron were the only legit competitor that offered the same type of bar as Karcepts. I have not tried either of the others but can vouch for Karcepts. I compete in the same region as the owner and can vouch that he tests extensively before putting a product to market. I've seen him spend time testing both MX-5 and 86 parts for a whole season before releasing to market. Good company, good products. He recommends the .188 wall for stock cars and .250 for STR cars. I have the .188 and am right below the middle of the range of adjustment. I have heard of one driver going to the .120 wall in stock class who happened to be the fastest BS s2000 driver in recent years. Presumably he liked a loose car. I'm fine with the .188 and would like to go to an STR suspension setup at some point. I'll see if I need the .250 from there but aside from that one outlier, the .188 for street and .250 for STR has seemed to leave most people I've talked to happy.

Good luck. If this is your first season, disregard above. Keep your maintenance plan and buy some RE71's in stock sizes and learn to drive. Pay for seat time first, not parts. I competed in an AP1 for a few seasons before doing an AP2 and moved through a few different tire setups before buying the swaybar. I think I learned a lot in the process.
Old 03-26-2019, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by Jub
The rule is wheels must be same width as stock, + or - 1 diameter allowance, and + or - 5 mm offset I believe. So no, 245/255 on stock size AP2 wheels.

I cannot comment on Koni warranty.

As for Karcepts, I believe Ankney and Gendron were the only legit competitor that offered the same type of bar as Karcepts. I have not tried either of the others but can vouch for Karcepts. I compete in the same region as the owner and can vouch that he tests extensively before putting a product to market. I've seen him spend time testing both MX-5 and 86 parts for a whole season before releasing to market. Good company, good products. He recommends the .188 wall for stock cars and .250 for STR cars. I have the .188 and am right below the middle of the range of adjustment. I have heard of one driver going to the .120 wall in stock class who happened to be the fastest BS s2000 driver in recent years. Presumably he liked a loose car. I'm fine with the .188 and would like to go to an STR suspension setup at some point. I'll see if I need the .250 from there but aside from that one outlier, the .188 for street and .250 for STR has seemed to leave most people I've talked to happy.

Good luck. If this is your first season, disregard above. Keep your maintenance plan and buy some RE71's in stock sizes and learn to drive. Pay for seat time first, not parts. I competed in an AP1 for a few seasons before doing an AP2 and moved through a few different tire setups before buying the swaybar. I think I learned a lot in the process.

Thank you for the input, this will be my 2nd year autox I drove F30 bmw 328ix (auto) last year. It drove like a boat lol, but I was hooked.

After looking more at tires I looking at the Kumho Ecsta v720 one tire size up the prices seems great. I don't if I'll be able to RE71R to fullest.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...omCompare1=yes
Whats your input on this....
Old 03-27-2019, 03:43 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thank you for the input, this will be my 2nd year autox I drove F30 bmw 328ix (auto) last year. It drove like a boat lol, but I was hooked.

After looking more at tires I looking at the Kumho Ecsta v720 one tire size up the prices seems great. I don't if I'll be able to RE71R to fullest.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...omCompare1=yes
Whats your input on this....
For being such "great" handling cars, I am suprised at how boat like the BMWs are. I drove an M3 for the first time last year and I felt the the s2000 is a scalpel compared to the chainsaw that the M3 was. I didn't even understand how to drive anymore. The owner asked if I wanted to run it again. I politely declined... I started on crap tires and I don't think its a bad thing to do. You really need to go for rides with the top people too. I never realized what fast actaully was for the first 3 years. I did alright, but now I typically finish second or third in raw time and PAX. You really need to learn to stay on that limit of grip.
The following users liked this post:
Live Fast (09-30-2019)
Old 03-27-2019, 07:08 AM

Just ordered tires, a great deal I think.
Old 03-27-2019, 02:41 PM

More parts coming in....

Quick Reply: My BS scca prep and build