S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

My head is very close to the roll bar

Old 06-05-2017, 08:46 PM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Where are you located? I have a Ballade V2 rollbar and Evo2 seat. I'm 6'3 and 220lbs. I made custom mounts to put the bottom of the seat on the carpet. I have about 1/2" of clearance passing the broomstick test. I found that no off the shelf rails/ mounts worked for my height so I had to build some. It took a long time and required some trimming of the seat fiberglass but you can lay it all the way down to the carpet and get the room you need.
Old 06-05-2017, 08:49 PM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I am in Sacramento, Ca. The back of the seat sits on the carpet now. I may drop the front 1 more which would move me a smidge further away. After spending some time with it I am pretty comfortable with my decision.
Old 06-05-2017, 08:49 PM

Name:  20160819_193201.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  294.8 KB

Had to use a welded bolt and backing plate for the inside rear. Excuse the welds, I ran out of gas so I just tacked them and then rewelded when I got a new bottle.

Name:  20160819_193235.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  354.2 KB\

To give you an idea. Also the 1/2" on the broomstick test is with helmet and hans device on and seat cushion in place. It's a couple inches without the helmet.
Old 06-06-2017, 11:55 AM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

That looks great. Do you have any pics with the seat mounted? With you in it? Would like to see how it looks. Thanks.
Old 06-06-2017, 12:24 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

How much clearance between helmet and rollbar?

did youstart eith buddy club mounts or fab from sheet metal?

Originally Posted by sirbikealot7

Had to use a welded bolt and backing plate for the inside rear. Excuse the welds, I ran out of gas so I just tacked them and then rewelded when I got a new bottle.

\

To give you an idea. Also the 1/2" on the broomstick test is with helmet and hans device on and seat cushion in place. It's a couple inches without the helmet.
Old 06-07-2017, 03:09 PM

I"m not sure exactly on helmet to rollbar but enough that I've never touched it. I bought planted steel offsett side mounts and 2" wide x 3/16th flat bar and made them.
Old 06-15-2017, 04:58 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are not touching the foam when you are at your normal driving position with helmet on, then you won't have an issue. I have the same problem, but probably 1/2 an inch from the upper driver window bar with padding (fully caged car). I don't even notice it unless I lean my head over, and you won't lean your head while driving, I promise. I was surprised, but you sort-of get smushed down into the seat with a harness on (because belts should be pretty tight, and your body will relax when you're on track) I always have to re-tighten my belts after a lap because I naturally settle-into the seat. Happens with every car I drive. If you feel like you settle-in too much, then get a Sparco foam seat pad and throw it in for some lumbar support, that helped me IMMENSELY!

Okay, just my 2c
Old 06-15-2017, 04:59 AM

P.S. Need any interior pieces? I have a full blue interior from my 2002, but no dash (keeping that).
Old 06-15-2017, 05:08 AM

SIRBIKEALOT7, those look like some pretty sketchy mounts! you should be bolting those to the floor directly, and you need a 4x4" plate on the underside of the car to act as a 'washer' to keep the bolts from pulling through the car in an accident. the factory mounting locations are really strong, but with that bent metal welded to the mounts you're giving a lot of room for flex in an accident. You could end up with a seat that is pointing you diagonally towards the driver's side mirror, or worse. I would think about changing the seat mounts, no one wants to crash, but EVERYONE wants to walk away from one. I'd also use high grade bolts to mount to the floor, and you don't need to buy the special seat mounting plates from G-Force or wherever, just go to Lowe's and get some 1/16" (there abouts) thick steel and use that for a washer. Cut it so you can use 1 long rectangle one either side of the mounts and put two holes in it, and round the edges, etc. Account for any non-flat areas under the car, where you're mounting the seat (if I remember correctly the portion of the under-car near the transmission tunnel isn't completely flat and you may need to drill a very short slot to get the plat to fit).

Sorry to hijack.
Old 06-15-2017, 10:47 AM
bdo

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a similar issue, but my worry is more the height of my head than proximity to the rollbar. In your pics, the top of your helmet is already above the rollbar. If you position the seat to sit up straighter, you're going to be even higher. I'm in the same boat and trying to get things to fit, and really trying to figure out how to get my head below the rollbar. Interested to hear how you work this out.

Quick Reply: My head is very close to the roll bar