S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Nasa tt5

Old 12-02-2017, 08:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bullwings
So, what's the TL;DR so far?

TTC = gone
TT4 = N/A s2k is under prepped = not competitive
TT5 = s2k not competitive

NASA is giving TT4 and TT5 to the beemers with their struts and trailing arms and to the cayman.

So, Greg once again screwed the S2k?
Sums it up pretty well.
Old 12-03-2017, 11:31 AM
Community Organizer

Received 214 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Sickdayracing
I was actually just wondering if it is worth it. I never tried 245 R7s, only 225s. Have you ran both? What was the difference?
I haven't, but I know people who do that have told me it isn't worth it, at least not in C. Maybe in 4 it would, but certainly not in 5.

Keep in mind, this is all anecdotal. If you still feel compelled to try it, and they're allowed, by all means.
Old 12-07-2017, 03:21 PM

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Question: Do the rules allow a 4" increase in track width without a modification factor? If so, has anyone taken advantage of this with fabricated control arms, longer tie rod adjusters, longer axles, revised shock mounts? In addition to the increased with adding mechanical grip, the longer arms would reduce the angle of the control arms on a lowered car, especially the upper arms which can't reposition the ball joint with a spacer if the roll center adjuster is allowed.
Old 12-07-2017, 03:30 PM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by DavidNJ
Question: Do the rules allow a 4" increase in track width without a modification factor? If so, has anyone taken advantage of this with fabricated control arms, longer tie rod adjusters, longer axles, revised shock mounts? In addition to the increased with adding mechanical grip, the longer arms would reduce the angle of the control arms on a lowered car, especially the upper arms which can't reposition the ball joint with a spacer if the roll center adjuster is allowed.
Read the rule book. Get back to us.
Old 12-07-2017, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by Ricky_Flowers_
Read the rule book. Get back to us.
3) Control arms, camber arms/links, toe arms/links may be modified, replaced, or removed, and a Modification Factor will be assessed. Adjustable plates, shims, and eccentric bolts and bushings for camber/caster adjustment are not assessed a Modification Factor.

7) Increase in OEM track width greater than four (4) inches, which may be due to non-OEM axles, control arms, brake rotors/hats, wheel spacers, hubs, wheel offset, and/or camber adjustment shall be assessed a Modification Factor.

What rule did you have in mind?
Old 12-07-2017, 05:38 PM
Community Organizer

3) Control arms, camber arms/links, toe arms/links may be modified, replaced, or removed, and a Modification Factor will be assessed. Adjustable plates, shims, and eccentric bolts and bushings for camber/caster adjustment are not assessed a Modification Factor.

7) Increase in OEM track width greater than four (4) inches, which may be due to non-OEM axles, control arms, brake rotors/hats, wheel spacers, hubs, wheel offset, and/or camber adjustment shall be assessed a Modification Factor.

What rule did you have in mind?
I don't have any rules in mind. You asked if something was legal. You then answered your own question by consulting the rule book.
Old 12-09-2017, 06:18 AM

Received 101 Likes on 62 Posts

Word is that the .3 modifier for 200TW is being changed to be for 100TW and up. It's a step in the right direction but not enough. I only have to take 61lbs to run R7 vs RC1/NT01 and the R7 for me is 2-3 seconds faster.
Old 12-09-2017, 08:11 PM

Has anyone played with the rear wing position, moving it forward and higher?

The rules limit it to "Single rear wing or spoiler that does not exceed a height above the roof
line, or width greater than the vehicle’s body width, or end plates greater than 12” in length or height, or 12” protrusion from the rear of the vehicle. Body width does not include flared fenders, mirrors, splitter, door handles."

Wings have very lift/drag ratios. Moving it forward would reduce the cantilever effect reducing net downforce on the front wheels. Presumably, that would allow more downforce from the rear wing.

The height would be to minimize effects from turbulence off of the trailing edge of the roof while staying within the rules. Note that while we are used to road racing cars having their wings at the extreme front and rear, sprint cars have their 'wing' over the middle of the car and the original F1 wings were over the wheels and then centrally mounted. Later, front wings became common. S2000s are probably closer to these cars, with limited options for front downforce.

Update: the new MB AMG GT4 car seems to have moved the rear wing forward:

Old 12-10-2017, 03:33 PM

Received 559 Likes on 391 Posts

Wings - 6 by my count. That's a lot of aero. I'll have to read the rules to check what kind of penalties you might take. It felt relevant after the post above mine...
Old 12-10-2017, 08:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has anyone played with the rear wing position, moving it forward and higher?
Have you?

Quick Reply: Nasa tt5