S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

NASA vs SCCA

Old 12-24-2017, 08:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NASA vs SCCA

Hello All,
I'm currently trying to get all the information I need to get into racing (mainly time attack). But I'm new to this and I need a little guidance. Which is better NASA or SCCA as far as a group/club to race under? Or should I just do random track days? Is it even possible to just show up to track days to race?
Just a little info on my car if it helps.
2006 AP2
Engine: F22c1 boosted (Science of Speed stage2 Supercharger) 434hp/275tq
Wheels and tires: I will either be on 17x8.5/9.5 +32 TC105n with RE71r or 18x10 +35 (square) with AD08r for track days
Suspension: KWv3

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
DJ
Old 12-24-2017, 09:22 PM

Received 66 Likes on 37 Posts

SCCA Doesnt really have a track time attack format, sounds like NASA it is.

Your car is likely to land in NASA TT2/ST2. You will be up against corvettes on hoosiers. Its do-able but you will be at a torque and tire disadvantage. If you want to go wheel to wheel you are at a serious disadvantage from a fuel perspective (running a 30min race with no starvation issues will be a challenge).

You could de-tune a bit (bleed boost off) and get into TT3/ST3 where its all M3's and mustangs for the most part.

Many track day organizations are now running time trial format competitions, but YMMV based on region.

NASA's HPDE program, then a jump to TT is a good start. Figure out what you want and where you need to fit for your car and skill level by just starting to drive.
Old 12-25-2017, 03:28 AM

Originally Posted by anorexicpoodle
SCCA Doesnt really have a track time attack format, sounds like NASA it is.

Your car is likely to land in NASA TT2/ST2. You will be up against corvettes on hoosiers. Its do-able but you will be at a torque and tire disadvantage. If you want to go wheel to wheel you are at a serious disadvantage from a fuel perspective (running a 30min race with no starvation issues will be a challenge).

You could de-tune a bit (bleed boost off) and get into TT3/ST3 where its all M3's and mustangs for the most part.

Many track day organizations are now running time trial format competitions, but YMMV based on region.

NASA's HPDE program, then a jump to TT is a good start. Figure out what you want and where you need to fit for your car and skill level by just starting to drive.
Thanks for the information. That's exactly what I needed to know. I don't know much about the way the classes are set up so this helps.

Hopefully I can get into some time trials.
Old 12-25-2017, 06:08 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Where do you live and have you spent some time at your local tracks? Take a look at the NASA schedule in your region and you can see the 2018 schedule.

Im relatively close to your setup and I barely fit into TT2. I have to run a 245 tire to claw enough points back to stay in class. But Ryan is correct. TT2 is home to corvettes with big aero and huge Hoosiers. It has me thinking to bleed off boost and max my car for TT3. But field sizes will make up my mind for me. I don’t want to be in either class if there are only 4 cars to compete against.
Old 12-25-2017, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by ddess
Where do you live and have you spent some time at your local tracks? Take a look at the NASA schedule in your region and you can see the 2018 schedule.

Im relatively close to your setup and I barely fit into TT2. I have to run a 245 tire to claw enough points back to stay in class. But Ryan is correct. TT2 is home to corvettes with big aero and huge Hoosiers. It has me thinking to bleed off boost and max my car for TT3. But field sizes will make up my mind for me. I don’t want to be in either class if there are only 4 cars to compete against.
I live in Alabama. I've been to a local track but I didn't get on track just watched a spec miata race.

I've been doing some research to get a clearer understanding of how the classification works. Figured asking would be easier so thanks for the help.

Currently I'm running 225front and 255rear but when I run my 18x10 I want to run 285s square. Not exactly sure if there is a restriction on that or not for a certain class.

I definitely want to be able to compete but like you said, not in a class with only about 4 cars.
Old 12-25-2017, 09:37 AM

Received 101 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Hondakid1
I live in Alabama. I've been to a local track but I didn't get on track just watched a spec miata race.

I've been doing some research to get a clearer understanding of how the classification works. Figured asking would be easier so thanks for the help.

Currently I'm running 225front and 255rear but when I run my 18x10 I want to run 285s square. Not exactly sure if there is a restriction on that or not for a certain class.

I definitely want to be able to compete but like you said, not in a class with only about 4 cars.

Go with a NASA. They have a clear path towards doing TT or racing. Being you have no track experience and your car isn't setup for any class, you won't be eligible to race with any organization. With NASA, you will start out as a HPDE 1 driver and work your way up through HPDE 4. By the time you are up to HPDE 4, you will have learned a lot about driving and I guarantee you will have made significant changes to your car. At this point, you will be ready to consider any form of competitive driving.
Old 12-25-2017, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by Sickdayracing
Go with a NASA. They have a clear path towards doing TT or racing. Being you have no track experience and your car isn't setup for any class, you won't be eligible to race with any organization. With NASA, you will start out as a HPDE 1 driver and work your way up through HPDE 4. By the time you are up to HPDE 4, you will have learned a lot about driving and I guarantee you will have made significant changes to your car. At this point, you will be ready to consider any form of competitive driving.
I believe I'm going to go with NASA. I'm just itching to get seat time.
Old 12-26-2017, 04:23 AM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

Where are you at safety wise? Harness, full containment seat, HANS?

You got the "go fast" parts covered ............

Do both SCCA and NASA run the track(s) nearest to you?
Old 12-26-2017, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by freq
Where are you at safety wise? Harness, full containment seat, HANS?

You got the "go fast" parts covered ............

Do both SCCA and NASA run the track(s) nearest to you?
Those are actually next on my list. I want to get a Recaro pole position, harness and cage. Also in the very near future, brakes. If you go fast you need to stop fast.
Old 12-26-2017, 06:23 PM

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

NASA and SCCA are wheel to wheel racing. Time attack is different with it's different set of rules. It depends which kind of time attack series you what to get into. But since ur boosted ur looking to be in the rwd unlimited class. Competition is intense good luck.

Quick Reply: NASA vs SCCA