S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

NASA vs SCCA

Old 12-27-2017, 07:41 PM

Received 193 Likes on 166 Posts

Maybe I don't understand what you are trying to accomplish, but I suggest that you start by reading the rules. Perhaps check out the rule on driver eligibility. See page 5 here https://nasa-assets.s3.amazonaws.com...--12-27-16.pdf

Start by getting some instruction, some on track experience and some understanding of vehicle dynamics. And whatever you do, don't lift in the corner!
Old 12-28-2017, 07:01 AM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I would say go to open track days in your area to get seat time and figure out if you want to do time attack or wheel to wheel.

You don't need to compete to get on the track. Open track days are loads of fun!
Old 12-28-2017, 10:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by eight
I would say go to open track days in your area to get seat time and figure out if you want to do time attack or wheel to wheel.

You don't need to compete to get on the track. Open track days are loads of fun!
:
seems to be the best option starting out
Old 12-28-2017, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by blueosprey90
Maybe I don't understand what you are trying to accomplish, but I suggest that you start by reading the rules. Perhaps check out the rule on driver eligibility. See page 5 here https://nasa-assets.s3.amazonaws.com...--12-27-16.pdf

Start by getting some instruction, some on track experience and some understanding of vehicle dynamics. And whatever you do, don't lift in the corner!
I've been reading rules but I was asking to get other drivers opinions since I'll be new to this.
Old 12-28-2017, 02:59 PM

Received 193 Likes on 166 Posts

I didn't mean to come off negative, Hondakid, but I do suspect that perhaps you are not quite ready to dive into either wheel to wheel racing or competitive time trials.

My strong advice is that you start building your skills at the beginning. That means spending money on track days and instruction. Buy yourself an AIM Solo and learn how to use it and interpret the data. Use a video camera to review your driving and for self criticism and analysis. Learn how to give a point by while keeping the car in a straight line. When you spin or go off track and are lucky enough not to have hit the wall, spend the time to understand exactly what happened and why. Same drill, unfortunately, if you do hit the wall. Try to learn how to control a spin and keep the car pointed down the track. Learn trail braking. Learn how to use your eyes to see extra track and braking zone deep into the corners that have it. Learn how to drive off line. Learn situational awareness so that you know where you are - position and speed in relation to the other cars. If you want to race, learn how and where to pass. Then learn how to gird your loins to find extra corner speed that you didn't think existed. Learn how to keep your car running - brakes, fluids, and dreaded misfires and mechanical issues that will rear their ugly heads. Most of this you can only learn by experience - and then only gradually after many, many track days.

It is a real hoot to take your car on track and learn to do all this stuff under rules and instruction that provides a reasonably safe environment. Sadly, I'm not so sure that starting out with a boosted engine and racing tires is the best way to build your skill set.

Regarding competition. You don't need to compete against other drivers to have fun. I race vintage and my S2000 track day buddy was bemoaning the fact that I had never won a race. (Hell, I'm just happy that they're letting me on the race track!) "It doesn't make any difference", I said. "I'm really just racing against myself" I think it opened up his eyes and made his own track day adventures that much more enjoyable. Competing against yourself provides more than enough competition. Just strive to do better. When it's time to move up, you'll know it. Good luck kid.

Oh, and whatever you do, don't lift in the corner!

Epilogue: Although the first few minutes of this video are corny, spend the time and watch it.

The following users liked this post:
Chibo (12-28-2017)
Old 12-28-2017, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by blueosprey90
I didn't mean to come off negative, Hondakid, but I do suspect that perhaps you are not quite ready to dive into either wheel to wheel racing or competitive time trials.

My strong advice is that you start building your skills at the beginning. That means spending money on track days and instruction. Buy yourself an AIM Solo and learn how to use it and interpret the data. Use a video camera to review your driving and for self criticism and analysis. Learn how to give a point by while keeping the car in a straight line. When you spin or go off track and are lucky enough not to have hit the wall, spend the time to understand exactly what happened and why. Same drill, unfortunately, if you do hit the wall. Try to learn how to control a spin and keep the car pointed down the track. Learn trail braking. Learn how to use your eyes to see extra track and braking zone deep into the corners that have it. Learn how to drive off line. Learn situational awareness so that you know where you are - position and speed in relation to the other cars. If you want to race, learn how and where to pass. Then learn how to gird your loins to find extra corner speed that you didn't think existed. Learn how to keep your car running - brakes, fluids, and dreaded misfires and mechanical issues that will rear their ugly heads. Most of this you can only learn by experience - and then only gradually after many, many track days.

It is a real hoot to take your car on track and learn to do all this stuff under rules and instruction that provides a reasonably safe environment. Sadly, I'm not so sure that starting out with a boosted engine and racing tires is the best way to build your skill set.

Regarding competition. You don't need to compete against other drivers to have fun. I race vintage and my S2000 track day buddy was bemoaning the fact that I had never won a race. (Hell, I'm just happy that they're letting me on the race track!) "It doesn't make any difference", I said. "I'm really just racing against myself" I think it opened up his eyes and made his own track day adventures that much more enjoyable. Competing against yourself provides more than enough competition. Just strive to do better. When it's time to move up, you'll know it. Good luck kid.

Oh, and whatever you do, don't lift in the corner!

Epilogue: Although the first few minutes of this video are corny, spend the time and watch it.

http://youtu.be/xQRmYMlmdqM
I sincerely appreciate everything you said. I know there are steps that I will have take to get to where I want to be so no offense taken at all. I guess I should have stated that competitive time attack is my ultimate goal.

I plan to start going to open track days to learn my car more and to push myself as well. I've talked to an instructor who is willing to help me along the way also. Honestly I'm more interested in the personal growth and thrill of being on the track.

This is exactly why I made the post I did, to get this kind of feedback. Again thank you.
Old 12-29-2017, 01:27 AM

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

You may want to ask these guys about track mods and expenses. In addition to safety equipment which can compromise the utility and appearance for street use, there are things that wear out on a race track. You can find many discussions on the wear of brake pads and rotors. Also on the size of rotors and rotor cooling to manage their heat. There are also discussions of differentials and wheel bearings. The track has a lot more WOT running than the street; cooling can be an issue. Aerodynamics can also be an issue on the track.

A little more of a search will bring up some crashes in track days. They can be either one car or caused by another. A fairly small accident can twist a frame enough to make it unrepairable. On the Spec Miata and Spec E30 forums, people are frequently discussing needed a new chassis after a crash. For them, that entails a new cage and effectively building a new car. In an S2000, the chassis can be a bit more expensive. Not that everyone destroys a car; many have done track days for years without even a spin. But the probability is much higher than in street use.

Any class, NASA or SCCA, that has an S2000 in a competitive situation has rules that the car has to be built around. A car built to the letter of the rules just won't be practical on the street.
Looking at the race results, around here (Northeast/Mid Atlantic) most classes involving an S2000 only have a handful of entries whether it is NASA or SCCA, race or time trials. And in most cases, they are separated by seconds per lap.

That said, lots of folks here seem to have lots of fun at NASA track days that can combine HPDE driving and time attack. There are also SCCA track day or night/evening events. I'm sure you can meet some other S2000 drivers who are also posters here at events. Some have also raced in other classes and have a broader perspective.

While there are always regional differences, generally the only race classes with relatively big fields of similar cars are Spec Miata and Spec Racer Ford (SCCA only). And even there, there are subclasses: for Spec Miata there is an NC class, an NA class and a stock class; for SRF Gen 2 and Gen 3 (a $12k upgrade that adds a more reliable engine with 30 additional hp).

So, my recommendation is contact forum posters who are tracking S2000s in your areas for the complete scoop.
Old 12-29-2017, 07:50 PM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Do HPDE 1 and work your way up then apply for a NASA time trial (TT) license. Get signed off and get comfortable with open passing on track. If you want to go further put a lot more safety equipment into your car and jump into a W2W class or buy a dedicated race car. I've enjoyed doing NASA TT the last few years and decided to do my W2W racing fix in a rented seat with World Racing League enduro racing instead of building my own car.
Old 12-31-2017, 06:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hondakid1, I'll start by letting you know I am very biased towards NASA. You are on the right track and there is lots of great advice in what I've read above. You are in a decent location to get on some of the nations best race courses, Barber, NCM and Road Atlanta.

You will need to become a NASA Member to sign up for an event, I think the fee is $45 per year and you can pick the Mid South Region or the Southeast Region as your "Home Region" depending on where you plan to track your car the most. Once you are a NASA member you are free to sign up for any event in any region across the USA. I'm in Nashville TN so I'm sure we will meet at one the tracks soon. If you haven't seen this before, here is a link to the NASA home page with two videos you should watch, https://www.nasaproracing.com/aboutnasa/.
Old 12-31-2017, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by Liquidsation
Hondakid1, I'll start by letting you know I am very biased towards NASA. You are on the right track and there is lots of great advice in what I've read above. You are in a decent location to get on some of the nations best race courses, Barber, NCM and Road Atlanta.

You will need to become a NASA Member to sign up for an event, I think the fee is $45 per year and you can pick the Mid South Region or the Southeast Region as your "Home Region" depending on where you plan to track your car the most. Once you are a NASA member you are free to sign up for any event in any region across the USA. I'm in Nashville TN so I'm sure we will meet at one the tracks soon. If you haven't seen this before, here is a link to the NASA home page with two videos you should watch, https://www.nasaproracing.com/aboutnasa/.
Thank you. After all the feedback I'm looking more and more at rules and locations. I hope I do get to meet a lot more s2000 drivers at the track including yourself.

Quick Reply: NASA vs SCCA