S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Need Advice on my 12/10kg Ohlins DFV square setup

Old 01-20-2019, 05:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Need Advice on my 12/10kg Ohlins DFV square setup

I recently decided to correct the rear preload issue on my ohlin DFV shocks by getting the 10kg spring only requiring 9 mm of preload to prevent bump stop contact. Below is my current setup.
Setup:17x9 255 wide Hankook RS4s square Ohlins DFV with 12/10 kg/mm swift springsGTC 200 wingCR front lipCR rear sway bar (362 lbs/in) --> I have an OEM 04-'09 bar (311 lbs/in)Karcepts 0.25 inch hollow front sway bar (softest 755 lb/in) --> I have an OEM '02-'07 bar (300 lb/in)Hardrace lower ball joint for more negative camber

I am asking for advice for a road coarse track setup. Preferably neutral with slight oversteer at low/mid speed that is controllable with steering/throttle. Prefer more understeer or very neutral on high speed sweepers to reduce risk of spinning/crashing.

I feel my car has a lot of understeer and upgraded the rear bar to a CR to make the car more balanced last year (made some improvement). Do you think my front sway bar may be too stiff? Considering switching to a CR bar or megan racing 32 mm bar and then reverting back to the oem rear bar. I prefer to keep rear aero only and not add front splitter for points standings in TT5.

Basically asking for advice regarding front & rear camber settings, rear toe, front ride height, front & rear sway bar choices, and whether I should opt for different rear aero? I plan to drop rear 0.75 inch (based on sakebomb garage maximum drop chart) and adjust the front accordingly.
Old 01-20-2019, 05:51 PM

Received 101 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Xene
I recently decided to correct the rear preload issue on my ohlin DFV shocks by getting the 10kg spring only requiring 9 mm of preload to prevent bump stop contact. Below is my current setup.
Setup:17x9 255 wide Hankook RS4s square Ohlins DFV with 12/10 kg/mm swift springsGTC 200 wingCR front lipCR rear sway bar (362 lbs/in) --> I have an OEM 04-'09 bar (311 lbs/in)Karcepts 0.25 inch hollow front sway bar (softest 755 lb/in) --> I have an OEM '02-'07 bar (300 lb/in)Hardrace lower ball joint for more negative camber

I am asking for advice for a road coarse track setup. Preferably neutral with slight oversteer at low/mid speed that is controllable with steering/throttle. Prefer more understeer or very neutral on high speed sweepers to reduce risk of spinning/crashing.

I feel my car has a lot of understeer and upgraded the rear bar to a CR to make the car more balanced last year (made some improvement). Do you think my front sway bar may be too stiff? Considering switching to a CR bar or megan racing 32 mm bar and then reverting back to the oem rear bar. I prefer to keep rear aero only and not add front splitter for points standings in TT5.

Basically asking for advice regarding front & rear camber settings, rear toe, front ride height, front & rear sway bar choices, and whether I should opt for different rear aero? I plan to drop rear 0.75 inch (based on sakebomb garage maximum drop chart) and adjust the front accordingly.

Do you have any videos? Its hard to give any input without seeing what the car is doing. Is it turn in, mid corner, exit understeer? High speed or low speed? The setup you describe seems pretty standard for a TT5 car other then the CR lip. Initially I'd think you have too much front bar but need to see the car in action to see what's going on.
Old 01-20-2019, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by Sickdayracing
Do you have any videos? Its hard to give any input without seeing what the car is doing. Is it turn in, mid corner, exit understeer? High speed or low speed? The setup you describe seems pretty standard for a TT5 car other then the CR lip. Initially I'd think you have too much front bar but need to see the car in action to see what's going on.
I would say it has turn in and mid corner understeer, and more neutral upon exit. What is not standard about the CR lip? Does it affect your points?

Below are 2 recent videos of my car, but it has the old 10/8 kg/mm ohlins dfv springs. I did a windshield view if helpful.

Old 01-20-2019, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by Xene
I would say it has turn in and mid corner understeer, and more neutral upon exit. What is not standard about the CR lip? Does it affect your points?

Below are 2 recent videos of my car, but it has the old 10/8 kg/mm ohlins dfv springs. I did a windshield view if helpful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CuTtO2JP_I&t=143s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrRUBFy9KA4

NASA considers the CR lip to have build in canards so it is not allowed in TT4 or TT5.
Old 01-20-2019, 06:56 PM

Just watched the videos, nice job! Smooth but you have a lot of time to pick up. The car seemed fine and I don't think it is your limitation in going faster. Keep focusing on the driving until you can't go any faster with your setup, otherwise you will just be chasing parts. Other then your lip, seems like you are good to go for TT5.

Here is my car in TT5 trim at Thunderbolt. It was very pushy to the point of being prohibitive in going any faster.

Old 01-21-2019, 09:39 AM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

What's your alignment? Car seems nice but hard to tell without seeing steering imputs
Old 01-21-2019, 12:23 PM

Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts

Minimize your rear toe-in to get the slightly over-steery handling you want at lower speeds. Maybe 1/16" total toe-in as a start point. Find an auto-x or skidpad to tweak to your likening. Then adjust the rear wing to create the desired downforce at high speed to cause the handling to neutral to slight understeer.
The following users liked this post:
Xene (01-22-2019)
Old 01-22-2019, 09:13 AM

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

You probably do have too much front roll rate compared to rear since you have both a colossal front bar and stiffer front springs, and no front downforce. As others mentioned, focus on balancing the car they way you want at low-mid speeds, then if you need to dial in more high-speed stability, add wing angle to do that.
The following users liked this post:
Xene (01-22-2019)
Old 01-22-2019, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by spdracerut
Minimize your rear toe-in to get the slightly over-steery handling you want at lower speeds. Maybe 1/16" total toe-in as a start point. Find an auto-x or skidpad to tweak to your likening. Then adjust the rear wing to create the desired downforce at high speed to cause the handling to neutral to slight understeer.
Originally Posted by thomsbrain
You probably do have too much front roll rate compared to rear since you have both a colossal front bar and stiffer front springs, and no front downforce. As others mentioned, focus on balancing the car they way you want at low-mid speeds, then if you need to dial in more high-speed stability, add wing angle to do that.
Thanks for this advice seems logical. The car needs an alignment been a few years and installed the hardrace ball joints without redoing.
Old 01-22-2019, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by Sickdayracing
Just watched the videos, nice job! Smooth but you have a lot of time to pick up. The car seemed fine and I don't think it is your limitation in going faster. Keep focusing on the driving until you can't go any faster with your setup, otherwise you will just be chasing parts. Other then your lip, seems like you are good to go for TT5.

Here is my car in TT5 trim at Thunderbolt. It was very pushy to the point of being prohibitive in going any faster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LD99SVPWuQ&t=1s
Thanks. Yea I feel turn 4 is always where I could brake later but I have a hard time slowing down sometimes for turn 5 lefty since it's such a slow corner. Any other turns you felt I was losing a lot of time?

Quick Reply: Need Advice on my 12/10kg Ohlins DFV square setup