S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Need Advice on my 12/10kg Ohlins DFV square setup

Old 01-23-2019, 09:10 AM

Received 101 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Xene
Thanks. Yea I feel turn 4 is always where I could brake later but I have a hard time slowing down sometimes for turn 5 lefty since it's such a slow corner. Any other turns you felt I was losing a lot of time?

Going into braking in T1 you have a long transition from throttle to brake and also are braking early as well have a moment of coasting towards the apex. You lifted too much and too long for T2. You don't need to lift for T3. Over slowed for T4 and T5. etc etc

Overall, your lines are good and you are smooth but you are coasting too much, slow on transitions, over braking, and not getting on throttle soon enough at every corner. You should work on all these things and continue to lower your lap time. Cars with similar setups to yours on similar tire are in the 1:32-33 range at Tbolt so there is still alot of room for improvement.

The way I drive is talking through every corner and asking myself did I understeer or oversteer? Could I have gotten on the throttle sooner? Did I brake too much? This constant talking yourself through driving and making active changes lap after lap will help you get alot quicker.

I hope you don't take any of this negatively, just providing some constructive criticism. Again, since the car doesn't seem to be the limiting factor here, just focus on your driving and don't make any changes to the car. Once you are at the point where the car or setup is limiting you, then start tweaking. Otherwise, you will just be chasing the setup.

The video if posted for you before was on Hoosiers so it's not really apples to apples.

Here is an old video of my AP1 on NT01s which should give you a better idea of some of the speeds you can attack Tbolt.

Good luck! Looking forward to seeing you out there.

The following users liked this post:
Xene (01-23-2019)
Old 02-05-2019, 09:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning on a square set up w/ HKS hipermax 12kg springs front and rear w/ a thicker Saner front sway bar. What would you change if you had this setup?
Old 02-05-2019, 09:34 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by s2jai
I am planning on a square set up w/ HKS hipermax 12kg springs front and rear w/ a thicker Saner front sway bar. What would you change if you had this setup?
That is a solid suspension setup. If you want more high speed grip in rear just add a rear wing like APR gtc-200 or the replica carbon fiber type 1 J's wing you can get on ebay. My new setup is basically what you have.
Old 02-05-2019, 08:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

does having a softer/stiffer spring rate up front better or it's just preference?
Old 02-06-2019, 09:06 AM

Received 123 Likes on 98 Posts

You're opening a can of worms. Some people prefer a square spring rate setup, and some people prefer a staggered setup with a stiffer spring rate up front and a softer spring rate out back. You really have to look at the suspension, aero, wheel, and tire setup holistically to draw conclusions.

Pick a setup, learn to drive it, then make changes to get the car to act how you want it to. What feels quicker is not necessarily actually quicker, learn to use something like an AIM Solo, or you're shooting in the dark past a certain point.
s2jai (02-06-2019)
Old 02-06-2019, 02:12 PM

Received 75 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by s2jai
does having a softer/stiffer spring rate up front better or it's just preference?
Originally Posted by Chibo
You're opening a can of worms. Some people prefer a square spring rate setup, and some people prefer a staggered setup with a stiffer spring rate up front and a softer spring rate out back. You really have to look at the suspension, aero, wheel, and tire setup holistically to draw conclusions.

Pick a setup, learn to drive it, then make changes to get the car to act how you want it to. What feels quicker is not necessarily actually quicker, learn to use something like an AIM Solo, or you're shooting in the dark past a certain point.
I'll add that in general, a staggered setup with stiffer front springs is going to understeer more/oversteer less if all else is equal. Some people prefer a loose (oversteer) car and are faster that way. Most people don't, and are going to be happier with some understeer and hence will be more confident to push the car and hence are faster with understeer. So there is a personal preference element to it as well.
Old 02-06-2019, 02:44 PM

Received 123 Likes on 98 Posts

I would agree with Daniel... just to note that to describe a car as a little pushy (understeer) is not a bad thing, depending on your driving style. Another thing is that your setup preference may change based on how close you are to the actual limits... a car that is pushy when you are being tame on the throttle in mid-late corner can easily be neutral when you get more aggressive with the throttle and easy to rotate when using lift throttle.

edit: To be clear, I wasn't saying Daniel implied it was a bad thing, I was just elaborating.

Last edited by Chibo; 02-06-2019 at 02:47 PM.
Old 02-07-2019, 03:56 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Don't know if this is still out there anywhere, but I saved this off of the suspension setup thread a while back. During the whole photobucket thing, it disappeared for a while. I refer to this frequently because I'm kind of a newb on suspension setup and some of the things are not things I would normally think to correct issues. My opinion coming from an Auto-X setup is that the bar should be fine if you are on the lowest setting. I run hole 3/4 and have a similar setup to you. I usually adjust tire pressures to get where I want otherwise. I have the same front bar, nearly same spring rates, and same rear bar. I am thinking about lowering the front bar down to 3/3. I can tell that there is a lot more speed you could put the car into the corner with. I am more of the throw it into the corner and figure it out type, so I like a very small amount of understeer, its also much easier to break the back end loose in Auto-X. Obviously, I know the setups are different and you have aero, but I think you can make adjustments to what you have to make it work or get much closer to what you want.

Edit: I also have the oversteer one as well if anyone wants me to post.
Old 02-07-2019, 07:25 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BoboTheMonkey

Don't know if this is still out there anywhere, but I saved this off of the suspension setup thread a while back. During the whole photobucket thing, it disappeared for a while. I refer to this frequently because I'm kind of a newb on suspension setup and some of the things are not things I would normally think to correct issues. My opinion coming from an Auto-X setup is that the bar should be fine if you are on the lowest setting. I run hole 3/4 and have a similar setup to you. I usually adjust tire pressures to get where I want otherwise. I have the same front bar, nearly same spring rates, and same rear bar. I am thinking about lowering the front bar down to 3/3. I can tell that there is a lot more speed you could put the car into the corner with. I am more of the throw it into the corner and figure it out type, so I like a very small amount of understeer, its also much easier to break the back end loose in Auto-X. Obviously, I know the setups are different and you have aero, but I think you can make adjustments to what you have to make it work or get much closer to what you want.

Edit: I also have the oversteer one as well if anyone wants me to post.
post oversteer please
Old 02-07-2019, 11:52 AM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

https://spda-online.ca/images/spda/t.../oversteer.gif

BoboTheMonkey (02-08-2019)