S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Need help picking out race seat...

Old 05-10-2004, 06:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm planning to put a rollbar, race seat, and 5-pt in my car this summer.

Right now, I'm thinking Elda rollbar - it's a good, sturdy design with minimal impact on the interior or seat range (although the diagonal brace takes up a lot of passenger space).

For the seat, I'm thinking Sparco Rev or Evo. I've heard the Evo is a little harder to fit, but I don't know the specifics. Can anyone give some advice here? I want a good, but cost-effective seat. I daily drive my car, so it can't be a kirky seat that takes 5 minutes to get in/out of. I'm 6'2", 200 lbs, 32" waist... so I have a relatively large/athletic frame. I figure my size will keep me out of some of the smaller seats like Bride.

Any advice on mounting the seat? What about harnesses? And where can I get the best prices???

Thanks.
Old 05-10-2004, 07:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

200lbs and 32" waist?!

I have a Recaro SPG and love it, but it's a pain in the ass to get in and out of. I swap it in and out for track events - are you willing to do the same? I've sat in a few reclinable Sparco seats that were nice for double duty (street/track). One of them was the Torino and I think the other was the Monza.

As for the harness, I'm planning to get the Elda bar and Willans 6-point in the near future. I'm just a bit iffy about driving on the street with the roll bar.
Old 05-10-2004, 09:45 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by S2Thizzle
200lbs and 32" waist?!

I have a Recaro SPG and love it, but it's a pain in the ass to get in and out of.
Old 05-11-2004, 01:55 AM

The SPG is a slim seat, so upper body size will be the problem. Getting in and out of it is quite a pain in the ass if you drive the car daily, especially with the top up. There is no way you can slide into it like you would with the stock seat. You have to position yourself over the SPG and drop into it. To get out, I usually use the steering wheel and center console to lift myself out of the seat. It's pretty funny when you park and people are watching you struggle just to get out of the car. You'll also have to remember to take your wallet out of your back pocket beforehand in case you plan to go through a toll booth or drive-thru. The stock seatbelt is easily retained and works well with the seat. All you have to do is swap the receptacle from your stock rail to the new rail.

I believe the longest distance I've driven with the SPG since I've installed it was 40 miles or so to Sears Point. I was comfortable the whole way and had no complaints. I'll be driving about 150 miles to Thunderhill next week, so I'll let you know how that goes. On the track, the SPG is awesome. It's a night and day difference compared with the unsupportive stock seat. I can only imagine how much better it would be with a harness installed.
Old 05-11-2004, 05:37 AM

Drove about 2000 miles in 6 days in my SPG for OTC, no problem. As comfortable as a racing seat can be. I usually leave it in for daily driving too.
S2thizzle, for exiting, try using your left hand on the door sill.
Old 05-11-2004, 06:59 AM

In my limited experience with race buckets (with other peoples' cars), I usually find I just put my hands on the sides of the seat and lift myself in and out as if I'm doing a dip. But I worry about the steering wheel being in the way since the S2000 is so small and my legs are pretty long.
Old 05-11-2004, 07:21 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Sparco Rev seat will almost certainly pinch your shoulders - I'm 5'9", about 150lbs, 32in waist, and the Rev pinches my shoulders in on a longer drive.

The EVO is too wide to fit without modification - the shoulder wings are too wide. You can see one fitted and the mods done to make it fit Here

-Brian.
Old 05-11-2004, 07:52 AM

I saw a post here not long ago (can't find it tho) where a guy put a Sparco Evo in a USDM S2000 with very little trouble. He had to cut something from the trim I think, but it was very minor... Anyone know what post I'm talking about?
Old 05-11-2004, 07:55 AM

Sounds like you'll want a quick release steering wheel with your new seat.
Old 05-11-2004, 08:19 AM

Originally posted by davepk
Sounds like you'll want a quick release steering wheel with your new seat.
Definitely something I'm considering. Although I'd really rather not have to spend the extra money right now.

Quick Reply: Need help picking out race seat...