S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

new to autox - on RE71's (tire wear ???)

Old 09-11-2017, 05:26 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default new to autox - on RE71's (tire wear ???)

hey guys,

i got these square setup 225/40 RE71 's and i autocrossed with them, just learning...

i feel like i got really really good after a few days ... my last few runs were basically almost all full throttle or full braking, running it HARD, letting it get a little loose and still controlling it, it feels awesome.

my question is.. my tires are wearing at exactly the tip of the triangle, not touching it but maybe a 16th away from it... all the way around FRONT 34 REAR 36

stock suspension, but my front tires have been wearing the insides faster, but i honestly think its bad toe... i have yet to align...

i will try to post some videos...

lemme know what you think i need to do!
Old 09-11-2017, 05:27 PM

Old 09-12-2017, 11:24 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by yamaha6611

lemme know what you think i need to do!

Align your car.
Old 09-12-2017, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by decepticondc5
Align your car.

yes, i will certainly get that done...

i was i guess asking, do you think i need to add pressure to the tires? i think im going to buy this larger front sway bar the other guys have, and... take off the rear one??

just looking for tips to get it a little more planted.
Old 09-12-2017, 12:09 PM

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

There are many things you can do to get a more planted ride like you say, the sway bar up front and removed in rear.
Also depends how much money you want to put into the suspension, you can get adjustable ball joints to increase camber, stiffer bushings and mounts to decrease roll.
The best option for least amount spent would be a proper alignment.

Last edited by FZXtreme; 09-12-2017 at 12:15 PM. Reason: words are hard.
Old 09-12-2017, 04:38 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

yes, i will certainly get that done...

i was i guess asking, do you think i need to add pressure to the tires? i think im going to buy this larger front sway bar the other guys have, and... take off the rear one??

just looking for tips to get it a little more planted.

Internet suggestions can only do so much when it sounds like you have a funky toe out situation already going. Get a baseline to make judgments off of or just copy what all the fast guys are doing. That is about the only valid advice you will find with whats been presented so far.

I can tell you taking off the rear bar without going to 1000ish lb springs is a really bad idea though.
Old 09-12-2017, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by decepticondc5
Internet suggestions can only do so much when it sounds like you have a funky toe out situation already going. Get a baseline to make judgments off of or just copy what all the fast guys are doing. That is about the only valid advice you will find with whats been presented so far.

I can tell you taking off the rear bar without going to 1000ish lb springs is a really bad idea though.

well, thats kinda exactly the info i was looking for! lol, thanks!

i will get an alignment, however, i daily drive this car, and i do a significant amount of driving for work... i keep hearing people say "max out the camber" .. is this a really stupid thing to do with this situation? how much faster am i going to wear the insides of the tires with it maxed out compared to standard?? and will it make enough of a difference to make it worth it?
Old 09-12-2017, 07:45 PM
Community Organizer

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

I'm assuming you mean 255/40/17 square? As stated, you'll need an alignment as a baseline before you can judge anything accurately wear-wise, though the best way to see how much you're rolling onto/over the shoulder is white shoe polish or chalk.

In regards to your concerns over the camber, I would get a different set of wheels and tires for street driving versus events. I run BFG Sport Comp 2 (340 UTQG) on the street with -3.0 up front and -2.7 in the rear and I still get ~16-18k out of a set before I finish off the inside shoulders. If you're driving the 71Rs daily, you'll wear them out in short order regardless of your camber settings.
Old 09-12-2017, 08:53 PM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

well, thats kinda exactly the info i was looking for! lol, thanks!

i will get an alignment, however, i daily drive this car, and i do a significant amount of driving for work... i keep hearing people say "max out the camber" .. is this a really stupid thing to do with this situation? how much faster am i going to wear the insides of the tires with it maxed out compared to standard?? and will it make enough of a difference to make it worth it?
Toe will increase tyre wear much more than camber ever will. I run -2 at front and -3 at rear and my tyres are pretty even. 50/50 DD/Track.
Old 09-13-2017, 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by Bruunz
Toe will increase tyre wear much more than camber ever will. I run -2 at front and -3 at rear and my tyres are pretty even. 50/50 DD/Track.
Originally Posted by Fokker
I'm assuming you mean 255/40/17 square? As stated, you'll need an alignment as a baseline before you can judge anything accurately wear-wise, though the best way to see how much you're rolling onto/over the shoulder is white shoe polish or chalk.

In regards to your concerns over the camber, I would get a different set of wheels and tires for street driving versus events. I run BFG Sport Comp 2 (340 UTQG) on the street with -3.0 up front and -2.7 in the rear and I still get ~16-18k out of a set before I finish off the inside shoulders. If you're driving the 71Rs daily, you'll wear them out in short order regardless of your camber settings.

great info, thanks! I have AP2 wheels for DD with all season tire, i use AP1 wheels with 225, yes, 225/40/16 on them.

alignment will be priority for me next..

okay now what about the brakes? my oem front pads/rotos are about done... stick oem?

-Matt

Quick Reply: new to autox - on RE71's (tire wear ???)