S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Racing and Competition (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-racing-competition-11/)
-   -   New diff needed (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-racing-competition-11/new-diff-needed-1174946/)

E4RTH WORM JIM 07-06-2017 03:59 AM

New diff needed

So my diff exploded whilst on the track on Tuesdays (Cadwell UK).

What are my options? I have read quite allot on the board about aftermarket diffs but I don't want to spend thousands upgrading the rear end. (puddy mod vs ford diffs vs OEM)

What is the best/cost efficient option? is it to just keep using standard OEM units as they are cheap?

Note: Car is SC'ed 19 psi CT Engineering kit (novi 1200).

Thanks

jyeung528 07-06-2017 01:41 PM

s2kpuddymod

E4RTH WORM JIM 07-06-2017 03:10 PM

Dropped him a PM.

What stage/ spec do boosted track users get?

THMotorsports 07-07-2017 06:09 AM

Ben Herne, the puddymod guy can speak to you in depth about why these diffs fail and how to prevent it from happening. I did see there is now an off the shelf billet crush sleeve replacement now available.

t-o_double_d 07-07-2017 09:59 AM

puddydad will talk to you and come up with the best solution for you. amazing product and even better service!

jyeung528 07-07-2017 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by THMotorsports (Post 24258560)
Ben Herne, the puddymod guy can speak to you in depth about why these diffs fail and how to prevent it from happening. I did see there is now an off the shelf billet crush sleeve replacement now available.

can you elaborate on this billet crush sleeve? is this a common failure part due to the pinion nut backing loose over time?

i believe if you're going to replace the crush sleeve, you're at the point of rebuilding the diff right? might as well get a rebuilt diff from puddymod anyway?

THMotorsports 07-11-2017 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by jyeung528 (Post 24259566)
can you elaborate on this billet crush sleeve? is this a common failure part due to the pinion nut backing loose over time?

i believe if you're going to replace the crush sleeve, you're at the point of rebuilding the diff right? might as well get a rebuilt diff from puddymod anyway?

The pinion nut should back loose. But compressive forces cause the crush sleeve to become crushed over time. Crush sleeves are used in OEM applications because it's a quick easy way to set preload without the need for lots of shims. But if it becomes over compressed, there is no longer any preload, and it cannot maintain proper pinion depth. When it cannot maintain proper pinion depth, that's when bad things happen. A billet sleeve replaces the crush sleeve. A billet sleeve will not become compressed.

If you're mechanically inclined, replacing the sleeve is a fairly easy task, it's also significantly cheaper than a fully built diff from puddymod. He can speak to you about the benefits of his diffs though, as there are quite a few.

E4RTH WORM JIM 07-11-2017 02:07 PM

Thanks for the reply, it's shame I didn't know this earlier or I would of done this as a preventive measure. It's to late now as my diff is damaged.

If I can sort the shipping out then I will be purchasing a puddymod.

jyeung528 07-11-2017 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by THMotorsports (Post 24264708)
The pinion nut should back loose. But compressive forces cause the crush sleeve to become crushed over time. Crush sleeves are used in OEM applications because it's a quick easy way to set preload without the need for lots of shims. But if it becomes over compressed, there is no longer any preload, and it cannot maintain proper pinion depth. When it cannot maintain proper pinion depth, that's when bad things happen. A billet sleeve replaces the crush sleeve. A billet sleeve will not become compressed.

If you're mechanically inclined, replacing the sleeve is a fairly easy task, it's also significantly cheaper than a fully built diff from puddymod. He can speak to you about the benefits of his diffs though, as there are quite a few.

can you provide a link to this off the shelf billet sleeve?