S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

newbie questions a stock...

Old 07-26-2009, 10:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newbie questions a stock...

I just got my 2000 s2k and I'm going to start autocrossing. I plan to run as (A stock). Could anyone give me the link to the rules? I read the sticky that is about running in a stock class and I think it was refering to AS. I'm gonna run some Kumho ECSTA V710 225 front and 245 or 265 rears. what is "xx" should I get. 225/XX/16, 245/xx/16 or 265/xx/16. I'm running the tires on stock ap1 wheels. As for sway bar should I get the saner one or should I save up alittle more and get the Small Fortune Racing one? I don't really have the money to spend 1k on a comtech one. also what about alinment. I saw what the guys that where won the nationals in the early 2000's ran but that was 5-8 years ago and I'm sure people are running newer/better specs. so could you please help me out on that.

sorry I'm sure some of this has been answered before but I've spent several hours reading and get mixed answers
Old 07-26-2009, 11:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It sounds like you've never autocrossed before. If that's the case, you should start out driving your car exactly as it is today - all the mods in the world won't make one tenth as much of a difference as getting a few events under your belt will.
Old 07-26-2009, 12:07 PM

Your right I've never autocrossed before. My cusion and his best friend have been doing it for the past 6 years. I've been to several events with them though. I live in frankfort kentucky so we have alot of county roads and I do drive them pretty agressively. Although your right about autocrossing. I've had my s2k for 5 days now and have put over 400 miles on it. 300+ at which where on back roads. Before this car i had a 3 series bmw. I know I need more practice and I need to learn the car but If I go on and set it up the way it needs to be and learn on that. I'll be able to learn quicker.

I'm just asking what size v710's I need for stock ap1 wheels, if I should save alittle more and get the SFR FSB over the cheaper saner one. I hear the saner one rubs, and what aliment settings are the best for the car.

thanks,
josh
Old 07-26-2009, 12:08 PM

ps- sorry I'm a noobie..
Old 07-26-2009, 04:00 PM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Autocross does translate to back road driving.

Back road driving may or may not translate to autocross.

There are at least two schools of thought when starting autocross:
1. Learn to drive and then prep your car.
2. Prep your car ~80+% and then learn to drive.

I think there are advantages to moderately prepping a car first, then learning on that stable setup.

IMHO, it's not worth the hassle and cost of running R-compounds in your first year of autocrossing. The current generation of street tires are pretty amazing.

You'll learn good technique and car control on street tires faster than on R-comps as you can "get away" with a lot more with sticky tires.

If you want to learn faster, still have fun, and be able to directly apply that to A-stock... get some street tires.

If it helps, some of the fast Canucks (including the SCCA Nationals runner-up) train during the season on street tires.

There is also a provisional street tire class for 2010 (STR) that will likely be a success. Save the R-comp money and put it towards a clutch-type differential....

Also, if your cousin autocrosses... riding along with him (and/or datalogging) is the fastest way to learn.

From experience, you'll still be a beginning autocrosser long after your first set of tires wear out. Why spend the money (and have the hassle of tire swapping / trailering) in the beginning?
Old 07-26-2009, 04:10 PM

Received 1,108 Likes on 988 Posts

No need to get R comps. You'll learn more about your car & your driving when you stay stock.
Old 07-26-2009, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by CKit,Jul 26 2009, 04:00 PM
Autocross does translate to back road driving.

Back road driving may or may not translate to autocross.

There are at least two schools of thought when starting autocross:
1. Learn to drive and then prep your car.
2. Prep your car ~80+% and then learn to drive.

I think there are advantages to moderately prepping a car first, then learning on that stable setup.

IMHO, it's not worth the hassle and cost of running R-compounds in your first year of autocrossing. The current generation of street tires are pretty amazing.

You'll learn good technique and car control on street tires faster than on R-comps as you can "get away" with a lot more with sticky tires.

If you want to learn faster, still have fun, and be able to directly apply that to A-stock... get some street tires.

If it helps, some of the fast Canucks (including the SCCA Nationals runner-up) train during the season on street tires.

There is also a provisional street tire class for 2010 (STR) that will likely be a success. Save the R-comp money and put it towards a clutch-type differential....

Also, if your cousin autocrosses... riding along with him (and/or datalogging) is the fastest way to learn.

From experience, you'll still be a beginning autocrosser long after your first set of tires wear out. Why spend the money (and have the hassle of tire swapping / trailering) in the beginning?
yea, I think it would be best to prep 80% or so then learn on that. I would like to run on r compound tires because I'll be able to push the car more to it's limit without spining out. I don't mind trailering tires because my parents are coming to most of my races and will bring them up, if not we can put them in my cousins friends evo. His name is mike jenson. I'm going to talk him and see if he will coach me. He usually always gets the fastest time of the day in the centeral kentucky region. So I should be able to get good fairly fast. The only car that was in AS that was at the race today was this C4 corvette. It was some kid that had his gf with him and he thought he was the shit. Although from talking around their are quite a few s2ks that run AS, they were just not there today. I don't want to go out and be the slowest dude in my class. I would really like to get some tires, FSB, and a new alinment to start out with. I just need help on what exactly I need to get and what settings to get it set at.

ps- I talked my dads friend into bringing out his porsche 968 to the race on the 16th. do I have any chance? like if it was equal drivers would the porsche out handle the s2k? they seem fairly close in stats
Old 07-26-2009, 07:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by josh7owens,Jul 26 2009, 12:07 PM
Your right I've never autocrossed before. My cusion and his best friend have been doing it for the past 6 years. I've been to several events with them though. I live in frankfort kentucky so we have alot of county roads and I do drive them pretty agressively.

thanks,
josh
Come on up to Louisville on 8/2...

www.kyscca.com

I would be glad to help you out with your setup or answer and questions, etc. There are quite a few good s2k drivers around, we usually go to the big events more often than the local due to the small lots. My S2000 is currently down for the count (blown front shocks) so I may have more time to interact if I can find a co-drive. I usually help with course design in that region so I will be there anyways. Look forward to it!

-Marc
(1)94 AS
Old 07-26-2009, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by sirbunz,Jul 26 2009, 07:03 PM
Come on up to Louisville on 8/2...

www.kyscca.com

I would be glad to help you out with your setup or answer and questions, etc. There are quite a few good s2k drivers around, we usually go to the big events more often than the local due to the small lots. My S2000 is currently down for the count (blown front shocks) so I may have more time to interact if I can find a co-drive. I usually help with course design in that region so I will be there anyways. Look forward to it!

-Marc
(1)94 AS
Yea, I knew about that race but I doult I'll run in it. I went to the race that was at eku today and watched/ talked to people. I'm going to race in the central kentucky series. Its over richmond, lexington, etc. What region is louisville concidered in? I'll most likly come up though. Could I pay my membership fee there but still race in the central kentucky region? I'm gonna be running some shitty street tires though. I wont have my new ones until after the 8th when I get the money.

would you be willing to ride along alittle bit? Do you know who mike jenson is?

here my facebook, add me, so maybe I'll reconize you when I get up there.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/josh.owens1
Old 07-27-2009, 05:28 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=josh7owens,Jul 26 2009, 07:28 PM] Yea, I knew about that race but I doubt I'll run in it. I went to the race that was at eku today and watched/ talked to people. I'm going to race in the central Kentucky series. Its over Richmond, Lexington, etc. What

Quick Reply: newbie questions a stock...