S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Northeast road racers

Old 09-20-2011, 04:35 PM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Northeast road racers

I'd like to make the jump into road racing next year and I'm looking for a good place to start. I've been reading rules, going through results to see lap times and sizes of the fields, and would like to hear from the guys who race before I make a decision and start making changes to the car.

What class do you race in? How competitive are you/your car? Why do you race in that class?

Also, is the S2000 competitive in H2?

TIA,
Pete
Old 09-21-2011, 10:01 AM
jfo

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

NASA H1.

I live in NE but mostly travel to NASA MidA for races though I do race with NASA NE a few times per year.

H2 just started allowing S2000's and so far there are only the few converts from SCCA T3 from Honda R&D that run the S in H2 trim. There could be more.

NASA NE has more cars in H2 but I still vote for H1.

Come out to Watkins Glen Oct 1/2 to see what is out there. Entry at the gate is free.
Old 09-21-2011, 01:39 PM

Why H1, not H2 or PTB? Are there a lot of guys that run H1?

Driving 6 hours to be in a race is one thing, but I'm not driving 6 hours to sit on the sidelines and watch!
Old 09-21-2011, 02:42 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

The S2 is seriously neutered in H2 trim. On the west coast STU is the way to go. See MrSideways posts for STU info on the east coast.
Old 09-22-2011, 06:56 AM
jfo

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Only tracks that are close to you are LRP, NHIS, and probably something in Canada.

NASA NE races at WG, NJMP, Pocono and they are at LRP but it might only be HPDE. I'm not sure where races SCCA is in your region.

It sounds like you need to start with HPDE, there is no reason to mod the car right now. Get a good set of brake pads and fluid plus tires that are decent. You will need an extra roll bar if you don't already.

IIRC there are no cars in PTB, SCCA car counts aren't too high in any class. IMHO if you race a Honda you should be in Honda Challenge.

Old 09-22-2011, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by cracknut
The S2 is seriously neutered in H2 trim. On the west coast STU is the way to go. See MrSideways posts for STU info on the east coast.
Same could be said about T3, and there are a good few guys that run that class nationally. But no one runs T3 in New England. Everyone is in T2. It looks like the S2000 may get bumped to T2 next year with a bump in power, a lower min weight and a non-stock spring option. Thats another class I'd consider.

Originally Posted by jfo
Only tracks that are close to you are LRP, NHIS, and probably something in Canada.

NASA NE races at WG, NJMP, Pocono and they are at LRP but it might only be HPDE. I'm not sure where races SCCA is in your region.

It sounds like you need to start with HPDE, there is no reason to mod the car right now. Get a good set of brake pads and fluid plus tires that are decent. You will need an extra roll bar if you don't already.

IIRC there are no cars in PTB, SCCA car counts aren't too high in any class. IMHO if you race a Honda you should be in Honda Challenge.

The New England region of SCCA does events at just NHMS and LRP. I'd jump down and do events with the Mid-Atlantic group at WGI and NJMP. Pocono is a waste of gas and a weekend. There would be no question on which group I'd run with if the so called 'Northeast' groups ran Mt. Tremblant, Calabogie and Mosport or added Monticello to the calendar. They're all great tracks that are well worth the 8 or so hour drive.

As for starting with HPDE, thats a great suggestion, but I'm way ahead of you on that one. I've been doing HPDE's and time trials for about 6 or 7 years now. My S2000 is relatively stock besides safety equipment and a little weight reduction. Cage is already in. I have two sets of 17x9 wheels for it, so I'd have to buy new ones to run STU or H2. Both of those classes are limited to a 17x8.

It looks like NE SCCA has about 5-6 regulars that run STU and have car counts as high as 11-12 at some events. Its also the direction I want to take the car...less weight, more aero, bigger brakes without a weight penalty.