S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Racing and Competition (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-racing-competition-11/)
-   -   OEM catalytic converter is done (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-racing-competition-11/oem-catalytic-converter-done-1191278/)

S2000_916 01-20-2019 07:08 AM

OEM catalytic converter is done

I have 115k on the car and I take it to 4-6 HPDE events a year and drive it a few times a month for fun. I placed a test pipe, but I can’t do that. Smell is terrible and I feel bad for doing it.

Is a berk high flow or magnaflow capable of handling track abuse? Or should I just bite the bullet and do OEM for 1k? Not sure I want to buy a used oem one.

Xene 01-20-2019 08:09 AM

I have the berk high flow cat. I would recommend that. I decided to swap my test pipe to that to help with emissions (started caring about environment and hate the test pipe smell). Improves power, but not sure how long it will last. I track my car regularly and have had it for like 3+ years with no check engine lights.

Chuck S 01-20-2019 08:15 AM

Don't know why not. It should slide right in.

I recall the Speed Academy guys in Toronto ran a high flow cat in front of their Tanabe Medalion Touring exhaust when they were street driving their S2000 to and from the track. They seemed to get to the track frequently with this setup and didn't seem to be babying the car.

I'm running the Berk 63.5mm high flow cat in my street car. Passed Ohio smog check the three times I had it checked. Not sure how you're passing California smog with your cat-delete setup.

-- Chuck

KevinATL 01-20-2019 11:34 AM

I replaced my OEM cat with the EVS Tuning 70mm one, to be honest I noticed a better difference with that than I did replacing the stock exhaust to a single. I passed emissions too, but I havent had it on for very long.

Chibo 01-20-2019 11:55 AM

My Berk has been fine for years, no light.

gtracer 01-21-2019 11:58 AM

I can sell you mine (OEM AP2) that had 63k miles on it... $150 + shipping

spdracerut 01-21-2019 12:16 PM

I toasted my stock cat after about a dozen track days. The first brick inside the cat came loose and smashed into the O2 sensor and rattled around. It didn't help that after about 8 track days, I installed a Hondata K-Pro and leaned out the A/F about half a point (from ~11.0 to 11.5). A buddy had a used OEM one that he took off when his car became a track-only car which is now on my car.

Cats are going to be wear items on the track. Well, they are wear items in DD use too, but expected to last 100k miles not getting beat on at the track. I'm in the anti test pipe camp too. A high flow cat frees up some power and still provides most of the emissions reduction. And it doesn't stink out and poison everyone driving behind you.

Bullwings 01-21-2019 12:19 PM

All catalytic converters, including HFCs, will fail after pro-longed track use. The cores are a wear item when subjected to track use and will eventually get brittle and disintegrate. There's actually a video of an S2k shooting an HFC core out its exhaust on track.

I would say, swap a test pipe for track use, and keep the catalytic for smog purposes. Or, if you're willing to treat it as a disposable wear item, get an HFC as a cheaper option. Don't bother with an OEM cat - it will just fail again. They don't hold up to track use very well at all.

I'm not a fan of the test pipe stink either, but i've been finding that my track rat now sees 85/15 track/street use with about 3000 miles logged per year now. I find it a "minimal" evil comparatively versus if it were a DD.

Mjhenk 06-21-2019 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by gtracer (Post 24556953)
I can sell you mine (OEM AP2) that had 63k miles on it... $150 + shipping

Still have the OEM AP2 cat?

Chibo 06-21-2019 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by Chibo (Post 24556605)
My Berk has been fine for years, no light.

As an update, mine has since failed. The core wore around the edges and was able to rotate diagional with respect to exhaust flow.