S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

OEM Fuel Tank setup to minimize fuel starve

Old 07-07-2011, 05:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Stratocaster
Here is the flow added to the diagram.
got it now - appreciate it. All of this is going to be very helpful. Great thread.
Old 07-09-2011, 12:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kleecker
I run into this problem on hard left-handers when my fuel level is just 3 gallons short of full. I have to tank-up after every session, at this time.

I read the previous thread on this, and quite honestly it's above my skill level. Do not know of any local race shops in the area (NE Maryland).
If you are starving with that much gas, try replacing your fuel filters. I had a similar problem and now with new fuel filters I can run autocrosses with a half tank.
Old 07-09-2011, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by PanteraKitty
Originally Posted by kleecker' timestamp='1309869909' post='20747044
I run into this problem on hard left-handers when my fuel level is just 3 gallons short of full. I have to tank-up after every session, at this time.

I read the previous thread on this, and quite honestly it's above my skill level. Do not know of any local race shops in the area (NE Maryland).
If you are starving with that much gas, try replacing your fuel filters. I had a similar problem and now with new fuel filters I can run autocrosses with a half tank.

Someone else said that in a different thread. You think they could be an issue with only 40k miles?
I assume the process is covered in the service manual? One internal, one external to the tank?

Assume no such thing as hi-flow? Just go OEM, such as from Majestic Honda?

I see:
17315-S84-A02FILTER, CANISTER #7, below (don't know exactly where this is located on the car - near the charcoal canister? Do not recall seeing when replacing the rear....):

16010-S84-A01 #1, below:

In the tank....... looks like an assembly though, not just a filter.

Anything special needed to remove and replace?

Old 07-09-2011, 06:41 PM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Part of my theoretical problem is that we're not running an OEM fuel pump in the tank of the SSM car and the surge should have a higher flow pump than the in-tank one. We're using a Walbro 255 + Kenny Bell Boost-A-Pump in tank. Wasn't sure what I could use in a surge.

For people using fuel cells, how do you check your fuel levels? Serious question.
Old 07-09-2011, 08:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kleecker
Someone else said that in a different thread. You think they could be an issue with only 40k miles?
I assume the process is covered in the service manual? One internal, one external to the tank?

Assume no such thing as hi-flow? Just go OEM, such as from Majestic Honda?

I see:
17315-S84-A02FILTER, CANISTER #7, below (don't know exactly where this is located on the car - near the charcoal canister? Do not recall seeing when replacing the rear....): #1, below:

In the tank....... looks like an assembly though, not just a filter.

Anything special needed to remove and replace?

I believe #7 IS the Charcoal Canister itself and #1 from the second diagram is your filter assembly, along with the little pickup net that attaches at the bottom of the fuel pump.

Check out the link below.
http://s2000.com/forums/engine-tech-...el-filter.html
Old 07-10-2011, 01:19 AM

I believe #7 IS the Charcoal Canister itself and #1 from the second diagram is your filter assembly, along with the little pickup net that attaches at the bottom of the fuel pump.

http://s2000.com/for...uel-filter.html
hmmm.... a bot more work than I expected, but good DIY. Does the sock come from a different subassembly?
Old 07-11-2011, 12:25 PM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by poorb0yw

http://s2000.com/forums/engine-tech-...el-filter.html
Actually #1 has the filter as part of the assembly, but the filter only is #7
Old 08-14-2011, 08:32 AM

Just upping this because i'm about to do a surge tank setup and i gained a lot of info here..

i made a quick diagram on how it would look on my ap1...
Sorry for my shitty paint skilz
Name:  surgetanksetup.jpg
Views: 1341
Size:  48.9 KB
( i'm running a HRC 255LPH in the tank so thats why it's mentioned on the picture )

The parts i should need:

- Ebay 2L surge tank + Bosch 044 $ 400 ( http://cgi.ebay.com/Surge-Tank-Fuel-...ht_3546wt_1163)

-7x 6AN hose ends
-1x 90degree 6AN hose end
-2x Russel 640940 $ 30 ( http://www.summitracing.com/parts/RUS-640940/?rtype=10 )
-2x Russel 640850 $ 24 ( http://www.summitracing.com/parts/RUS-640850/ )
-6AN hose

I do need to figure out if the bosch 044 has an 6AN outlet plug so i can hookup a 6AN hose end...

Seems like it will cost around < $ 600,- for this setup...

Any recommendations
Old 08-14-2011, 09:48 AM

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

@Nyther,

Looks like it should work.

Where did you plan on mounting it?

Seems like up front in the engine compartment would be the safest.

I personally don't like the idea of extra fuel tanks, and extra fuel connections in the passenger compartment (which includes the trunk) of a vehicle.
Old 08-14-2011, 11:32 AM

Well you got a point there but im planning on mounting everything on the spare tire location which is empty...

Mounting it at the rear of the trunk would be dangerous with a rear collission.. I also do not want it up front because of the extreme heat of the turbocharger and running more risk with a front end collission... So the spare tire place seems to be the best choice..

And most surge tank setups i've seen were located in the trunk/spare tire place...

Thanks for looking martin! I really need this mod done asap since the turbocharger just eats alot more fuel and im getting sick everytime it bogs down due to a strong agressive left hand turn...

Quick Reply: OEM Fuel Tank setup to minimize fuel starve